Go Back   Serif Software Forums > Design and Publishing > WebPlus

Notices

WebPlus Questions about using WebPlus for website design

Old 20th September 2011, 09:45 PM   #1
sissi

sissi is on a distinguished road
Default There was an error opening remote file for writing (open request failed)

I am getting carzy, I have spent all day trying to upload my website ..but I am getting this error
There was an error opening remote file for writing (open request failed)..I keep clicking on retry
FTP details are correct and this is not the first time that I upload my website..I've done it several times after updates and it was always uploaded successfuly
I have already seen posts regarding this problem but could help me
Old 20th September 2011, 09:47 PM   #2
mjh
The one and only mjh

mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)
Default Re: There was an error opening remote file for writing (open request failed)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sissi View Post
I am getting carzy, I have spent all day trying to upload my website ..but I am getting this error
There was an error opening remote file for writing (open request failed)..I keep clicking on retry
FTP details are correct and this is not the first time that I upload my website..I've done it several times after updates and it was always uploaded successfuly
I have already seen posts regarding this problem but could help me
I am curious why you didn't ask in a thread that contained things you've already tried.

What is the version of WebPlus you are using? Be sure to include that when starting new threads.

Who is your host?

What, specifically, have you tried. Details are important here.
Old 20th September 2011, 10:34 PM   #3
sissi

Default Re: There was an error opening remote file for writing (open request failed)

sorry If I didn't post it in the same thread
I am using versionX4
My host is WSWD
I have tried to keep clicking on retry, index.html on my home page, thik unthik back up the document to remote server, check uncheck passive mode,thik unthid delete unused remote files, trying to upload as incremental update and as full upload but nothing works
ftp account details are correct and has never been changed

Last edited by sissi; 20th September 2011 at 10:39 PM. Reason: error
Old 20th September 2011, 11:58 PM   #4
Gary1820

Gary1820 is on a distinguished road

There is no fix. I have the same problem since last Friday. I had not previously changed any settings in software or web account. When I try to publish to site (Webplus) I get the dreaded There was an error opening remote file, etc.

A Serif tech today spent more than an hour remotely controlling my computer and trying to fix problem. he failed and is escalating to a senior tech. Until Serif fixes its software, people can not use Serif ftp services to publilshs to their site once the get the dreaded error in opening remote file error message. I can't upload any files --can not publish to my site.

See thread at http://forums.serif.com/showthread.php?t=99593&page=2

Last edited by Gary1820; 21st September 2011 at 12:18 AM.
Old 21st September 2011, 01:07 AM   #5
mjh
The one and only mjh

mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary1820 View Post
There is no fix. I have the same problem since last Friday. I had not previously changed any settings in software or web account. When I try to publish to site (Webplus) I get the dreaded There was an error opening remote file, etc.

A Serif tech today spent more than an hour remotely controlling my computer and trying to fix problem. he failed and is escalating to a senior tech. Until Serif fixes its software, people can not use Serif ftp services to publilshs to their site once the get the dreaded error in opening remote file error message. I can't upload any files --can not publish to my site.

Gary

If there is no fix, why is the issue being escalated to a senior tech?
Old 21st September 2011, 01:10 AM   #6
Lon in NWArkansas
Master

Lon in NWArkansas is a splendid one to beholdLon in NWArkansas is a splendid one to beholdLon in NWArkansas is a splendid one to behold

Quote:

I've been uploading to Godaddy within the past hour....got the "dreaded" message....re-entered my password....no problem. I think to tell folks that the FTP within WP doesn't work, when it's clearly working for me, is a bit over the top.

Lon in California

I was there at the beginning of FullyPixel.com, a Serif Software User's Forum.
Old 21st September 2011, 01:37 AM   #7
Gary1820

1. escalating to senior tech to try and find a fix
2. have many times wiped out and re-entered password for ftp without it helping at all

There may be different causes for the error opening remote file message.
Old 21st September 2011, 02:23 PM   #8
sissi

I am not getting the error message anymore, it says successful upload ..but I doesn't change anything on my website ( when preview it is ok) but when I see it online it is the same and no change has been made
Old 21st September 2011, 02:42 PM   #9
mjh
The one and only mjh

Quote:
I am not getting the error message anymore, it says successful upload ..but I doesn't change anything on my website ( when preview it is ok) but when I see it online it is the same and no change has been made
Hi Sissi

Have you cleared your browser's cache?

How about a link to a site page that has changes and an indication of what those changes are. Maybe someone will take a look for you.
Old 21st September 2011, 03:12 PM   #10
sissi

Thank you sooooooooo much mjh..I used cc cleaner and then browse my website and everything is OK
I am soo happy after 2 days of frustration lol
Old 21st September 2011, 03:14 PM   #11
mjh
The one and only mjh

Quote:
Thank you sooooooooo much mjh..I used cc cleaner and then browse my website and everything is OK
I am soo happy after 2 days of frustration lol
ccleaner is my magic wand!

Glad to know it's helpful to you, too.
Old 23rd September 2011, 12:03 AM   #12
Gary1820

Talking Re: There was an error opening remote file for writing (open request failed)

Tech Chris Bannister found the solution. The files on the WebPlus host in my site were 247 megs total; my Silver account limit was 250 mg. Thatís why attempts to upload failed. I upgraded to gold and was able to publish an update to site. The host page with account details gives bandwidth used but provides no info on total space used out of allotted space. I never thought to check total space used. I have suggested that WebPlus host info pages be changed to show amount of allotted space used.

Strangely enough, when I go to site properties and then to publishing tab and click on test I still got the error message ďAn error occurred while trying to get the working directory from the ftp server.Ē However, I can publish.

Many thanks to all the forum readers who kindly suggested possible solutions. I feel rather stupid now that I understand what caused the problem.

Many thanks to Serif Chris Bannister for finding the solution.
Old 23rd September 2011, 12:10 AM   #13
mjh
The one and only mjh

Quote:
Tech Chris Bannister found the solution. The files on the WebPlus host in my site were 247 megs total; my Silver account limit was 250 mg. Thatís why attempts to upload failed. I upgraded to gold and was able to publish an update to site. The host page with account details gives bandwidth used but provides no info on total space used out of allotted space. I never thought to check total space used. I have suggested that WebPlus host info pages be changed to show amount of allotted space used.

Strangely enough, when I go to site properties and then to publishing tab and click on test I still got the error message ďAn error occurred while trying to get the working directory from the ftp server.Ē However, I can publish.

Many thanks to all the forum readers who kindly suggested possible solutions. I feel rather stupid now that I understand what caused the problem.

Many thanks to Serif Chris Bannister for finding the solution.
Great it's fixed for you now, Gary.

Hosting issues are the first things I check when working one on one with someone. Ali and I were discussing the issue in another thread earlier today.
Old 25th September 2011, 03:12 AM   #14
feelgeorge13

feelgeorge13 is on a distinguished road

HELP!!! need you help
I need your help ASAP. I created my site from your tutorial.
I just paid £9 for my domain name from web site called dream hosting and 18 pounds for one year web hosting.

I am trying to up load the web page after some minor correction and i keep getting this error message all the time
"opening remote file xxxxxxx.jpg for writting(open requested failed)" or opening remote file index.htlm for writting(open requested failed)
I notice that the remote directory is blank just "/"

Its so frustrating!!! what should I do? All I want to do is up load the web page, can you make a simple tutorial, step by step on how to publish a web site from we bplus x5 please. or simply give me instructions to follow.
Old 7th November 2013, 08:59 AM   #15
Claire Mac

Claire Mac is on a distinguished road

Hi. I'm using WebPlus X5 and after having had no problems (even using Windows 8 on the new laptop), I've suddenly started getting "There was an error opening remote file about_us_hire.html for writing (OpenRequest failed) ". I've searched the other threads and have tried removing the site and re-publishing, decreasing the size of all the images, using site checker, only publishing a few pages instead of the whole site. I've not changed anything so am going bananas! The address is www.bootleggersbar.com Thank you for any help
Old 8th November 2013, 07:30 AM   #16
Ali
Guru

Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire Mac View Post
Hi. I'm using WebPlus X5 and after having had no problems (even using Windows 8 on the new laptop), I've suddenly started getting "There was an error opening remote file about_us_hire.html for writing (OpenRequest failed) ". I've searched the other threads and have tried removing the site and re-publishing, decreasing the size of all the images, using site checker, only publishing a few pages instead of the whole site. I've not changed anything so am going bananas! The address is www.bootleggersbar.com Thank you for any help

There is no content on that page, it seems:
http://www.bootleggersbar.com/about_us_hire.html
WPX2-6 SITES: The Falcon Inn (X6) | Martin Sexton - Artist (X2) | Clover Greetings
(X6)
Old 8th November 2013, 08:40 AM   #17
Claire Mac

Claire Mac is on a distinguished road

Hi Ali. Thank you for replying. There was no content at that time as I'd removed the site. I carried on searching through the threads and found one that suggested changing the folder the site was published to. I thought it wouldn't work because I've never changed the FTP details but bizarrely it did!!! Its a huge relief as I thought I'd never get it back! Thanks for your reply though.