Go Back   Serif Software Forums > Design and Publishing > WebPlus

Notices

WebPlus Questions about using WebPlus for website design

Old 29th August 2011, 12:27 AM   #1
Lon in NWArkansas
Master

Lon in NWArkansas is a splendid one to beholdLon in NWArkansas is a splendid one to beholdLon in NWArkansas is a splendid one to behold
Default Neil J's Add-Ons

Just starting to get my head around some of the nice Add-ons that Neil has generously...er...added for us to use. I guess if I can do this stuff, then just about anyone can.

Thanks so much, Neil!

Link: Big Thumbs

EDIT: Took a while, me not knowing squat about HTML, but I got it resized for 6 images.

Lon "somewhat less adventuresome" in California

I was there at the beginning of FullyPixel.com, a Serif Software User's Forum.

Last edited by Lon in NWArkansas; 29th August 2011 at 02:27 AM.
Old 29th August 2011, 11:43 AM   #2
Neil J

Neil J is a name known to allNeil J is a name known to all
Default Re: Neil J's Add-Ons

Nice one Lon, good to see you finally making use of them. I try to make them as simple as possible so anyone can add them to their sites, you've done a great job there

Thanks!

Windows 7® Home Premium SP1 64-bit; Intel® Core™ i5-4430 3.00GHz; 16GB RAM; Intel® HD Graphics
Old 29th August 2011, 11:52 AM   #3
Martin Taylor
Expert

Martin Taylor has a brilliant futureMartin Taylor has a brilliant futureMartin Taylor has a brilliant futureMartin Taylor has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lon in California View Post
Link: Big Thumbs

EDIT: Took a while, me not knowing squat about HTML, but I got it resized for 6 images.

Lon "somewhat less adventuresome" in California
Hi, Lon

Your site picks up jQuery from ajax.googleapis.com, which is fair enough, but in IE9, it causes the tracking protection filter to kick in, and that means that the effects don't work at all.

To see the effects, I have to switch off tracking protecton and that's not something that everyone will either know about or want to do.

Better if you can to download jQuery, put it on your own site and have the page refer to it there, or maybe use one of the other CDN options shown at http://docs.jquery.com/Downloading_j..._Hosted_jQuery
Old 29th August 2011, 12:07 PM   #4
Lon in NWArkansas
Master

Lon in NWArkansas is a splendid one to beholdLon in NWArkansas is a splendid one to beholdLon in NWArkansas is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Taylor View Post
Hi, Lon

Your site picks up jQuery from ajax.googleapis.com, which is fair enough, but in IE9, it causes the tracking protection filter to kick in, and that means that the effects don't work at all.

To see the effects, I have to switch off tracking protecton and that's not something that everyone will either know about or want to do.

Better if you can to download jQuery, put it on your own site and have the page refer to it there, or maybe use one of the other CDN options shown at http://docs.jquery.com/Downloading_j..._Hosted_jQuery
Thanks, Martin.....so far above my pay grade that I can't even begin to describe it...however, I understand the overall concept you are talking about, and it's very good to know that these might cause a viewing problem on some machines, before I get all jazzed and put one in a website.

Here's my best jQuery knowledge base look:

Lon in California

Old 29th August 2011, 03:12 PM   #5
Martin Taylor
Expert

Martin Taylor has a brilliant futureMartin Taylor has a brilliant futureMartin Taylor has a brilliant futureMartin Taylor has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lon in California View Post
Thanks, Martin.....so far above my pay grade that I can't even begin to describe it...
In the page header, Lon, you have this at the moment:
Quote:
<script type="text/javascript" src="http://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/1.3/jquery.min.js"></script>
An easy change would be to replace that with this:
Quote:
<script type="text/javascript" src="http://ajax.aspnetcdn.com/ajax/jQuery/jquery-1.6.2.min.js"></script>
This picks up the jQuery library from Microsoft instead of Google, and (afaik) doesn't cause IE9 to trip the tracking protection.
Old 29th August 2011, 04:45 PM   #6
Lon in NWArkansas
Master

Quote:

This picks up the jQuery library from Microsoft instead of Google, and (afaik) doesn't cause IE9 to trip the tracking protection.
Good. I'll look at making that change and make mention here when it's done, so that another pre-flight can be made, if you have the time.

Lon "it's not nice to fool Mother Microsoft" in California

Old 29th August 2011, 05:09 PM   #7
mjh
The one and only mjh

mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

Quote:

Martin

Would there be legal issues if Lon or anyone just grabbed that *.js file and installed it on their host and then referenced it's changed location appropriately in the code?
Old 29th August 2011, 06:29 PM   #8
Lon in NWArkansas
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh View Post
Martin

Would there be legal issues if Lon or anyone just grabbed that *.js file and installed it on their host and then referenced it's changed location appropriately in the code?
And further, is it an issue that perhaps Neil J should address in his original code? Most wouldn't know to change anything, and numbsters like me have a chance of changing the axis of the planet if we tweak the wrong thing.

Lon "caused global warming" in California

Old 29th August 2011, 07:01 PM   #9
anna j

anna j is on a distinguished road

Lon,
I'm trying to use Neil's add on. I've made my thumbs and regular sized photos as per his instructions. But how do I swap out his pictures for mine?
Help! Please!
Anna
Old 29th August 2011, 07:03 PM   #10
Martin Taylor
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh View Post
Martin

I mentioned in my earlier post that an option is to download jQuery and install it on your own hosting. If you want to do that, grab the current minified version "...min.js" from http://docs.jquery.com/Downloading_j...ownload_jQuery
Old 29th August 2011, 07:04 PM   #11
mjh
The one and only mjh

mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

Quote:
I mentioned in my earlier post that an option is to download jQuery and install it on your own hosting. If you want to do that, grab the current minified version "...min.js" from http://docs.jquery.com/Downloading_j...ownload_jQuery
Thanks, Martin, I must have overlooked that. Better find my glasses. LOL.
Old 29th August 2011, 07:09 PM   #12
Lon in NWArkansas
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by anna j View Post
Lon,
I'm trying to use Neil's add on. I've made my thumbs and regular sized photos as per his instructions. But how do I swap out his pictures for mine?
Help! Please!
Anna

(From memory) Assuming you've followed all of his other directions, in your WP file, click on TOOLS > FILE MANAGER. Find the thumbs file and delete b_1 thru b_4 and s_1 through s_4. Then, click on ADD, and find your versions (same names) of the files that you will be displaying.

Just make sure that they are the same name, and the "thumbs" file is the same name. Once you have added your new images, you should be able to display the slider with your images showing.

I'm at work, and don't have WP available here, so going only on memory.

Lon "and, I have a spotty memory" in California

Old 29th August 2011, 07:11 PM   #13
mjh
The one and only mjh

Quote:
Lon,
Help! Please!
Anna
Hiya Anna

Go to the forum on Neil J's add-ons site and look to see if Neil J's already posted an answer. He's the best place to get your questions answered about problems with configuring and installing his add-ons.
Old 29th August 2011, 07:19 PM   #14
anna j

Lon, thanks! I'll give it a try.
MJH, thanks! I checked his forum and didn't find anyone else as dumb as me (sorry grammarians: "as dumb as I")
Anna
Old 29th August 2011, 07:21 PM   #15
mjh
The one and only mjh

Quote:
MJH, thanks! I checked his forum and didn't find anyone else as dumb as me (sorry grammarians: "as dumb as I")
Anna
Anna

I doubt very much that you are dumb....... just into a new learning curve, that's all.

Just start a thread on Neil J's forum and ask your question there.
Old 29th August 2011, 07:29 PM   #16
Lon in NWArkansas
Master

Quote:
Anna
Anna,

Also look at his ADDONS site. Where you see the Demo for the Thumbs slider, you will also find pretty complete instructions for all of the steps you have to follow. Believe me when I tell you that this is not something I ordinarily do, so I needed hand-holding the entire way...

Lon "you can do it" in California

Old 30th August 2011, 02:48 AM   #17
anna j

Lon,
I still haven't mastered this, but I think the problem is that the larger images both you and Neil are using have a website associated with them as there is coding that says something like "hrec. www. blah,blah". I'm trying to use images that are just stored on my computer for the thumbs and the larger pictures. Anyway, I think that's the problem. This is way, way above my pay grade also.

I'm going to post the question on Neil's forum, but not quite sure I even know enough to formulate the question so that he can understand what I'm asking.

Anna
Old 30th August 2011, 04:06 AM   #18
Lon in NWArkansas
Master

Quote:
Lon,
I still haven't mastered this, but I think the problem is that the larger images both you and Neil are using have a website associated with them as there is coding that says something like "hrec. www. blah,blah". I'm trying to use images that are just stored on my computer for the thumbs and the larger pictures. Anyway, I think that's the problem. This is way, way above my pay grade also.

I'm going to post the question on Neil's forum, but not quite sure I even know enough to formulate the question so that he can understand what I'm asking.

Anna
Anna,

Pay no attention to that URL information. Take a look at my screenshots. All I did was create large photo images and saved them on my hard drive as 1_b through 6_b, and then I created small thumbnails and saved them in the same hard drive folder as 1_s through 6_s.

Then (screenshot 3), I went into TOOLS > FILE MANAGER > SITE MANAGER and clicked on thumb-images. I deleted the existing 1_b through 4_b and 1_s through 4_s.

(Don't forget, I fiddled with the HTML to make it a six-image slider. You will be working with 4 images).

Once those were deleted, I immediately clicked ADD, browsed to the folder where I saved my images, and loaded all of them into this thumb-images folder within Site Manager. Remember...they have the same name as the ones you deleted, so that the HTML will work.

The images are on my hard drive, not hosted at some other website.

Once I had all of that loaded and previewed, I published my "site" like normal, and that's what you see at: http://lpleblanc.com/thumbs/

Just think it through a little bit and you will get it.

1. Neil's HTML is calling up images that he provided for you in the files you downloaded from his website.
2. Those images have to be replaced by you...with your own images.
3. Your images must have the same name as the ones you deleted.
4. They must be placed in the thumb-images folder in Site Manager

That's just about all there is to it, but come back if you still can't get it to work.

Lon "you'll get there" in California
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbs1.png
Views:	36
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	25897   Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbs2.png
Views:	8
Size:	18.1 KB
ID:	25898   Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbs3.png
Views:	9
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	25899   Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbs4.png
Views:	9
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	25900  

Last edited by Lon in NWArkansas; 30th August 2011 at 04:15 AM.
Old 30th August 2011, 04:28 AM   #19
anna j

Thanks Lon,
I thought I did exactly what you did, but maybe not. Will try it again as my feeble old brain could use some exercise. I'll post if I get it going (the Thumb Slider, not my brain )
Anna
Old 30th August 2011, 04:35 AM   #20
Lon in NWArkansas
Master

Quote:
Thanks Lon,
I thought I did exactly what you did, but maybe not. Will try it again as my feeble old brain could use some exercise. I'll post if I get it going (the Thumb Slider, not my brain )
Anna
See the screen shot. One more change necessary to get the name of your images to appear in the black band.

Lon "have fun" in California
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbs5.png
Views:	74
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	25901