Go Back   Serif Software Forums > Design and Publishing > WebPlus

Notices

WebPlus Questions about using WebPlus for website design

Old 21st June 2011, 07:06 PM   #1
rdcast

rdcast is on a distinguished road
Default Pricing Serif's Web Hosting Plans

What is the full breakdown of Serif's Web Hosting Plans and upgrades for any recurring fees? There doesn't seem to be any description of what High5 actually costs to make it all that it can be. To switch plans, I need complete facts and figures not supplied by Serif. I love forums, but this is cumbersome when gathering initial purchase points. Is there an online chat sales support?

Thank you,
Bob
Old 21st June 2011, 07:12 PM   #2
nfc212
Master

nfc212 has a reputation beyond reputenfc212 has a reputation beyond reputenfc212 has a reputation beyond reputenfc212 has a reputation beyond reputenfc212 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pricing Serif's Web Hosting Plans

High5 ?!

I wouldn't change from another hosting plan. Serif hosting although much cheaper does not allow you to run PHP, Perl or other scripts nor MySQL.

You are tied into using SWR.

The Ferret - Using PHP & MySQL to create dynamic Web Plus sites
Sleeping tigers do not concern themselves over the opinions of sheep.
An Independent Forum for web design/development and all things creative.
Old 21st June 2011, 07:21 PM   #3
Tom.
Guru

Tom. is a splendid one to beholdTom. is a splendid one to beholdTom. is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdcast View Post
What is the full breakdown of Serif's Web Hosting Plans and upgrades for any recurring fees? There doesn't seem to be any description of what High5 actually costs to make it all that it can be. To switch plans, I need complete facts and figures not supplied by Serif. I love forums, but this is cumbersome when gathering initial purchase points. Is there an online chat sales support?

Thank you,
Bob
Welcome to the forums, Bob.

Did you check the Hosting page?

The price seems more reasonable to previous costs but there is a lack of support for PHP. If that is something you need, an alternative host would be better.

If you're in the UK then take a look at kNet
Old 21st June 2011, 08:29 PM   #4
rdcast

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfc212 View Post
High5 ?!
High5

My host provider is hosting24...very reliable, good service, with everything I can think of without the glits, at a nice price for their gold plan. I'm partial to online chat support, which they supply.

ummm, thinkin that's a plug...
Old 21st June 2011, 08:37 PM   #5
rdcast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomR View Post
Welcome to the forums, Bob.

Did you check the Hosting page?

The price seems more reasonable to previous costs but there is a lack of support for PHP. If that is something you need, an alternative host would be better.

If you're in the UK then take a look at kNet
Thanks, I'm a forum enthusiast for support. I've been using Zen Cart and their forums are very good.

For years, I've used Draw Plus and can't say enough about it. Awesome UI with such a low learning curve. I love it and have produced so much with it over the years.

So, I can take anything I produce from WebPlus and upload it to my current host account?
Old 21st June 2011, 08:38 PM   #6
mjh
The one and only mjh

mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

Quote:
Thanks, I'm a forum enthusiast for support. I've been using Zen Cart and their forums are very good.

For years, I've used Draw Plus and can't say enough about it. Awesome UI with such a low learning curve. I love it and have produced so much with it over the years.

So, I can take anything I produce from WebPlus and upload it to my current host account?
Absolutely yes.
Old 21st June 2011, 08:44 PM   #7
nfc212
Master

nfc212 has a reputation beyond reputenfc212 has a reputation beyond reputenfc212 has a reputation beyond reputenfc212 has a reputation beyond reputenfc212 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Ah, that waste of disk space.

The Ferret - Using PHP & MySQL to create dynamic Web Plus sites
Sleeping tigers do not concern themselves over the opinions of sheep.
An Independent Forum for web design/development and all things creative.
Old 21st June 2011, 08:53 PM   #8
rdcast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh View Post
Absolutely yes.
Have you looked at BigCommerce? I've tried their trial period, but was disappointed in the ability to customize their templates. I'm sure you can do a lot with them, but I couldn't seem to catch the wave and so much of their hype is just that, "hype".

I've used CoffeeCup HTML editor for 16 years, which is a long time in this business and am very comfortable with it. I look at that level of coding as archaic in the larger scheme of things, like having to be a mechanic to own a car, back in the day when the automotive industry was new. Honestly, how do you think I'll view my experience with WebPlus after 16 years having relied on it?
Old 21st June 2011, 08:58 PM   #9
rdcast

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfc212 View Post
Ah, that waste of disk space.
lmbo!!! Behold the honest viewpoint
Old 21st June 2011, 08:59 PM   #10
mjh
The one and only mjh

mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

Quote:
Have you looked at BigCommerce? I've tried their trial period, but was disappointed in the ability to customize their templates. I'm sure you can do a lot with them, but I couldn't seem to catch the wave and so much of their hype is just that, "hype".

I've used CoffeeCup HTML editor for 16 years, which is a long time in this business and am very comfortable with it. I look at that level of coding as archaic in the larger scheme of things, like having to be a mechanic to own a car, back in the day when the automotive industry was new. Honestly, how do you think I'll view my experience with WebPlus after 16 years having relied on it?

I haven't used CoffeeCup to do sites since PagePlus v 5... and that's over a decade ago.

How about a link to your site so we can see the extent of your implementation of ZenCart for e-commerce?

Do you now have WebPlus? If not get X5 knowing that:

1. Serif offers a money back guarantee
2. There will be a learning curve
3. This forum tends to be supportive of new users.
Old 21st June 2011, 09:22 PM   #11
rdcast

Quote:
I haven't used CoffeeCup to do sites since PagePlus v 5... and that's over a decade ago.

How about a link to your site so we can see the extent of your implementation of ZenCart for e-commerce?

Do you now have WebPlus? If not get X5 knowing that:

1. Serif offers a money back guarantee
2. There will be a learning curve
3. This forum tends to be supportive of new users.
I don't post addresses to projects for two reasons, first, I don't like seeing posts indexed in search ingines, an amateur appearance and secondly, and more to the point, I've been severely hacked twice during development, so I've started from scratch, implementing new security strategies. From admin, I've publicly shut it down for maintenance, while my IP allows me to view edits. I've become so paranoid, I'm almost of the mind the internet isn't a worthy security risk.

I think I'll take your advice concerning X5...In fact, I'm here due to an e-mail advert for that very product. Serif sends many such adverts, many of the type I summarily march to the spam bucket, but I do like Serif and their e-mail campaigns are generally a cut above the rest.

Last edited by rdcast; 21st June 2011 at 09:27 PM.
Old 21st June 2011, 09:40 PM   #12
rdcast

Quote:
the extent of your implementation of ZenCart for e-commerce
Zen Cart's e-commerce modules are very good if not straightforward, tho they are. Comparatively, if you have experience with Zen Cart, how would you rank WebPlusX5 ? Putting aside any reference to Zen Cart, were does WebPlusX5 place among all the drag and drop implementations? If it's at all reliable and half as dynamic as the hype, then it should kill Zen Cart tho ZC is open source.
Old 21st June 2011, 09:51 PM   #13
mjh
The one and only mjh

Quote:
Zen Cart's e-commerce modules are very good if not straightforward, tho they are. Comparatively, if you have experience with Zen Cart, how would you rank WebPlusX5 ? Putting aside any reference to Zen Cart, were does WebPlusX5 place among all the drag and drop implementations? If it's at all reliable and half as dynamic as the hype, then it should kill Zen Cart tho ZC is open source.
You are mixing apples and oranges.

ZenCart is a server side shopping cart system.

The three shopping carts available in WebPlus do not require installation on an appropriate host.

What they both have in common is to be able to allow site visitors to select items, add them to a shopping cart and make a payment.
Old 21st June 2011, 09:59 PM   #14
rdcast

Quote:
You are mixing apples and oranges.

ZenCart is a server side shopping cart system.

The three shopping carts available in WebPlus do not require installation on an appropriate host.
Now we're getting close. WebPlus provides 3 different shopping carts as third party plugins? Also, can I utilize both my current domain name and SSL Cert?
Old 21st June 2011, 10:04 PM   #15
mjh
The one and only mjh

Quote:
Now we're getting close. WebPlus provides 3 different shopping carts as third party plugins? Also, can I utilize both my current domain name and SSL Cert?
Of course.

Get yourself cozy and do a search of this form on

e-commerce
shopping cart
paypal
Mal's Cart

and etc.

Come up for air in a few hours.
Old 21st June 2011, 10:06 PM   #16
mjh
The one and only mjh

Quote:
Why do you need an SSL certificate? Doesn't your payment gateway supply that security?
Old 21st June 2011, 10:16 PM   #17
rdcast

Mal's Cart claims with their free product, there's no need to purchase a dedicated SSL Cert...What is that all about? If it's a shared cert, then any browser will flag it as untrustworthy for being self signed, something I don't find acceptable for my visitors to read.
Old 21st June 2011, 11:33 PM   #18
Jim B.
Master

Jim B. will become famous soon enough

Quote:
A WebPlus site will work fine on virtual;l;y any web host. There is no need to "have to" use Serif's hosting.

The SWR/SO items are hosted on Serif's servers, and work the same in your site as any other "3rd party" hosted service. Except with the WebPlus SWR/SO stuff, it is easier to add to the site and use due to very little to no "installation" or configuration is needed.

Picture taking. It's a snap!

Good photography. It's complicated.
Old 21st June 2011, 11:35 PM   #19
mjh
The one and only mjh

Quote:
Mal's Cart claims with their free product, there's no need to purchase a dedicated SSL Cert...What is that all about? If it's a shared cert, then any browser will flag it as untrustworthy for being self signed, something I don't find acceptable for my visitors to read.
Perhaps you are confusing a shopping cart with a payment gateway.

Which payment gateway are you currently using?
Old 21st June 2011, 11:38 PM   #20
Jim B.
Master

Jim B. will become famous soon enough

Quote:
There is no need for you to need/use SSL unless you are planning on collecting sensitive personal or financial information from your customers.

For an on-line store, it is much easier (and probably lower total cost) to use a payment service like PayPal to collect credit card data and process the transaction.

If you intend to collect credit card information yourself and process the transaction yourself with your own merchant credit account, then you need to know about the requirements in the PCIDSS.

Picture taking. It's a snap!

Good photography. It's complicated.