Go Back   Serif Software Forums > Photos and Movies > PhotoPlus

Notices

PhotoPlus Questions about using PhotoPlus for photo editing

Old 19th June 2011, 06:56 PM   #1
raphy

raphy is on a distinguished road
Default Logo edges

Good Morning,

I am have great difficulty obtaining smooth edges on graphics for a website I am working on. I have received a logo in a png format from some one else and I have tried a variety of techniques to smooth the edges. It looks smooth until I add it to the website...very frustrating. I need a transparent background.

I am attaching the image..if anyone can offer advise I would be very appreciative.
Click image for larger version

Name:	KooreyLogoSilverEmboss.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	23807

Linda
Old 20th June 2011, 02:06 PM   #2
MikeW

MikeW has a brilliant futureMikeW has a brilliant futureMikeW has a brilliant futureMikeW has a brilliant future
Default Re: Logo edges

Hi Linda--the attached is a JPG, so no transparent background.

In PhP, rename the layer from "background" by simply double clicking on the layer name. It will suggest "Layer 1" as the name and that is fine.

You can then use the wand to select the white background. It will run into the edge of the logo a little in two places because of how "washed out" the color is in that area.

You need to then use the selection tools to remove the selection from where the wand's automatic selection came into the logo. I used the polygon tool and while holding the alt-key, made the selection go straight across where the wand's selection came into the lettering.

Once the selection is how you want it, hit the delete key and the background will now show as tiny squares. You now have the basis for the transparent background.

While the selection still is around the logo, use the Select menu, Modify, Expand. Choose 2 pixels. This will increase the selection from the outside of the image to a little inside the edge of the logo.

Then, choose Effects, Blur, Gaussian Blur. Choose 1.2 pixels.

You can now deselect (ctrl-d) the image. Save this version as a PhP file before anything else. Now export it as a PNG file and make sure to do so as a 32-bit so the transparency is intact.

The image is a bit large. You can then load the PNG into PhP and resize the image using Best Quality.

I have attached a smaller version. Please note that you need to determine how large the final image will be placed in the web site. Bitmap graphics don't like being resized in a web site. So when you resize the PNG file, make sure to know how large you want it.

Take care, Mike

Last edited by MikeW; 22nd May 2013 at 03:11 PM.
Old 23rd June 2011, 07:35 PM   #3
raphy

raphy is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Logo edges

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeW View Post
Hi Linda--the attached is a JPG, so no transparent background.

In PhP, rename the layer from "background" by simply double clicking on the layer name. It will suggest "Layer 1" as the name and that is fine.

You can then use the wand to select the white background. It will run into the edge of the logo a little in two places because of how "washed out" the color is in that area.

You need to then use the selection tools to remove the selection from where the wand's automatic selection came into the logo. I used the polygon tool and while holding the alt-key, made the selection go straight across where the wand's selection came into the lettering.

Once the selection is how you want it, hit the delete key and the background will now show as tiny squares. You now have the basis for the transparent background.

While the selection still is around the logo, use the Select menu, Modify, Expand. Choose 2 pixels. This will increase the selection from the outside of the image to a little inside the edge of the logo.

Then, choose Effects, Blur, Gaussian Blur. Choose 1.2 pixels.

You can now deselect (ctrl-d) the image. Save this version as a PhP file before anything else. Now export it as a PNG file and make sure to do so as a 32-bit so the transparency is intact.

The image is a bit large. You can then load the PNG into PhP and resize the image using Best Quality.

I have attached a smaller version. Please note that you need to determine how large the final image will be placed in the web site. Bitmap graphics don't like being resized in a web site. So when you resize the PNG file, make sure to know how large you want it.

Take care, Mike
Hi Mike,

Thanks for this info...much appreciated..just wanted you to know I read and practiced it and it does help. I have been in photo editing hell...and am just coming to earth after working out a few kinks and practicing different photo editing techniques. I also did some masking and that seems to work as well. Thanks again,
Linda