Go Back   Serif Software Forums > Design and Publishing > WebPlus

Notices

WebPlus Questions about using WebPlus for website design

Old 21st May 2011, 02:12 PM   #1
pj1000

pj1000 is well on the road to greatness
Default External Stylesheet

Does anyone know what the external style-sheet actually does in x5
The program makes one and puts in in the wpscripts folder and is named wpstyles BUT the css for your site is still embedded into your pages also the selectors in the external style-sheet dont correspond with any part of the site, am i missing something here as it just seems a waste of time this function
Old 21st May 2011, 02:16 PM   #2
nfc212
Master

nfc212 has a reputation beyond reputenfc212 has a reputation beyond reputenfc212 has a reputation beyond reputenfc212 has a reputation beyond reputenfc212 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: External Stylesheet

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj1000 View Post
Does anyone know what the external style-sheet actually does in x5
The program makes one and puts in in the wpscripts folder and is named wpstyles BUT the css for your site is still embedded into your pages also the selectors in the external style-sheet dont correspond with any part of the site, am i missing something here as it just seems a waste of time this function
I took a peek inside as well. Not at all sure what the CSS code inside points to but it looks good.

The Ferret - Using PHP & MySQL to create dynamic Web Plus sites
Sleeping tigers do not concern themselves over the opinions of sheep.
An Independent Forum for web design/development and all things creative.
Old 21st May 2011, 02:18 PM   #3
pj1000

I does look good but it doesnt point to anything at all
Old 21st May 2011, 02:22 PM   #4
nfc212
Master

nfc212 has a reputation beyond reputenfc212 has a reputation beyond reputenfc212 has a reputation beyond reputenfc212 has a reputation beyond reputenfc212 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I does look good but it doesnt point to anything at all
Much like the external stylesheet files in Magix, Avanquest and WWB. All the heavy lifting is done by the inline CSS. Perhaps the code is targetted at some of the nav bars.

Old 21st May 2011, 02:24 PM   #5
Mick
Expert

Mick has much to be proud ofMick has much to be proud ofMick has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfc212 View Post
I took a peek inside as well. Not at all sure what the CSS code inside points to but it looks good.
Beats me too, no matter what I've edited in the wpstyles.css file, it makes no difference to the site what so ever.

Is there a specific point to this file creation or is it just for show ?
Old 21st May 2011, 02:26 PM   #6
pj1000

All of the files has been searched and the stylesheet doesn't point to anything at all
Old 21st May 2011, 02:31 PM   #7
nfc212
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
Beats me too, no matter what I've edited in the wpstyles.css file, it makes no difference to the site what so ever.

Is there a specific point to this file creation or is it just for show ?
Quote:
All of the files has been searched and the stylesheet doesn't point to anything at all
Looks like browser window dressing then.

Old 21st May 2011, 02:35 PM   #8
Mick
Expert

Mick has much to be proud ofMick has much to be proud ofMick has much to be proud of

Quote:
Not a clue Lee,

I've altered all the font family attributes in one local published site within the style sheet and again nothing gets changed site wise, it's as either the embedded styles take preference or indeed, there is no call to the style sheet anyway, and if that is the case, then a pretty pointless task producing one if you can not manually edit and change the site via a single css file update.

According the quote on the Serif website it does state the following.

"New:

CSS files for text styles

Text styles are now exported into a single CSS file for efficiency. One tiny upload can modify the look of a whole site"

Anyone else know exactly what and how this wpstyles.css controls a site created in X5 or what parts it controls ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfc212 View Post
Looks like browser window dressing then.
Looks that way Nigel but can't see the point of it myself
Old 21st May 2011, 02:41 PM   #9
nfc212
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
Not a clue Lee,

I've altered all the font family attributes in one local published site within the style sheet and again nothing gets changed site wise, it's as either the embedded styles take preference or indeed, there is no call to the style sheet anyway, and if that is the case, then a pretty pointless task producing one if you can not manually edit and change the site via a single css file update.

According the quote on the Serif website it does state the following.

"New:

CSS files for text styles

Text styles are now exported into a single CSS file for efficiency. One tiny upload can modify the look of a whole site"

Anyone else know exactly what and how this wpstyles.css controls a site created in X5 or what parts it controls ?

Looks that way Nigel but can't see the point of it myself
All the other WYSIWYG web editors now output an external stylesheet, however what is inside is minimal with inline styling doing most of the work.

Old 21st May 2011, 04:03 PM   #10
MikeW

MikeW has a brilliant futureMikeW has a brilliant futureMikeW has a brilliant futureMikeW has a brilliant future

The external stylesheet works here. Any edit (using an external editor) is immediately reflected on the page.

Attached are two screen shots of a copyright line for a site I am working on. The file css_center.png is how the site is set up (centered line). I edited the appropriate style in the style sheet to make this line left aligned, saved and hit refresh. The result is in the attached screen shot css_left.png.

Take care, Mike

Last edited by MikeW; 22nd May 2013 at 03:11 PM.
Old 21st May 2011, 04:27 PM   #11
MikeW

MikeW has a brilliant futureMikeW has a brilliant futureMikeW has a brilliant futureMikeW has a brilliant future

One thing to add. Probably an important thing.

Seeing how X5 does not actually use the external CSS file internally, any tweaks or alterations to the CSS need to eventually make it into X5. Else upon export the external CSS file is overwritten when exported again. This will revert any external CSS changes to match the X5 document.

So, while it is possible to alter the external CSS file, until it is a two-way change I don't find it necessarily useful for site changes. However, what I *may* find useful is when something is not displaying in all browsers equally (well, close enough) is that it is very quick to edit, save, and refresh to fix output. That then can be rolled into the WebPlus X5 file (probably).

As I haven't had too much weirdness in X4 output and the site I am working on is the first full X5 site, we'll see. In short, the output of in-line CSS (internally) has been fine thus far in the sites I have done.

Take care, Mike
Old 21st May 2011, 05:56 PM   #12
Martin Taylor
Expert

Martin Taylor has a brilliant futureMartin Taylor has a brilliant futureMartin Taylor has a brilliant futureMartin Taylor has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeW View Post
One thing to add. Probably an important thing.

Seeing how X5 does not actually use the external CSS file internally, any tweaks or alterations to the CSS need to eventually make it into X5. Else upon export the external CSS file is overwritten when exported again. This will revert any external CSS changes to match the X5 document.
Seems very important to me, Mike.

To be honest, I don't see what the point is of generating an external style sheet when all the HTML and CSS is generated by WP. It doesn't save any time or impose any consistency, because while in WP, you still use the wysiwyg tools and formats to adjust the look of the text.

Sorry to say that we still need better tools in WP to manage styles that more explicitly reflect CSS styling, and that allow you genuinely to make one change that will affect all text in a site. And I don't just mean font characteristics. I mean margin, padding, borders, backgrounds and so on.
Old 21st May 2011, 08:03 PM   #13
bookmarkmns01

bookmarkmns01 is a name known to allbookmarkmns01 is a name known to all

I would be interested to know why the current arrangment has been developed. Using such extensive inline styles, when an external file has been generated puzzles me. Why generate the external file when the inline style will override it?

I guess the reason is to ensure that the page generated looks as intended, as often as possible. Compatibility, the percentage shot in golf.

I spend a proprtion of my working life removing inline styles on non-WP sites so I am probably over-focused on such things ...

Mark
Old 21st May 2011, 08:16 PM   #14
RichardS
Master

RichardS has a brilliant futureRichardS has a brilliant futureRichardS has a brilliant futureRichardS has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookmarkmns01 View Post
I would be interested to know why the current arrangment has been developed. Using such extensive inline styles, when an external file has been generated puzzles me. Why generate the external file when the inline style will override it?

I guess the reason is to ensure that the page generated looks as intended, as often as possible. Compatibility, the percentage shot in golf.
One small but significant benefit of this external style sheet is that it improves "accessibility."

For example, people with some eye conditions are seriously affected by whether hyperlinks are underlined, or not.

Having the definition of hyperlink "text-decoration" in an external style sheet makes it easier for visitors to "adapt" how the webpages are displayed on the affected visitors' web browsers.

I hope that the use of external style sheets in WPx5 is just a first step.
Old 21st May 2011, 08:22 PM   #15
Tom.
Guru

Tom. is a splendid one to beholdTom. is a splendid one to beholdTom. is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
I hope that the use of external style sheets in WPx5 is just a first step.
On that subject, I hope so as well