Go Back   Serif Software Forums > Photos and Movies > MoviePlus

Notices

MoviePlus Questions about using MoviePlus for video editing

Old 10th March 2011, 06:50 PM   #1
little-e

little-e is on a distinguished road
Question MPX5 AVCHD rendering speed or smart rendering

I am looking to buy video editing software, but am disappointed that despite owning other excellent Serif software such as photo plus, I cannot download a trial version. I am reluctant to buy the software to only have 7 days to try it and then have to negotiate a refund if it is not suited to my needs.

Has anyone used MoviePlus X5 for producing AVCHD footage, and can compare rendering speeds with other software.

I have used a trial of Power Director 9 Ultra 64 - it renders very quickly with smart rendering options, and reasonably quickly with smart render turned off, but produces horrible footage from 1080 50i footage - I have tried every option and it blends frames and all motion is blurred. It does however use 90-100% of my processor.

I have used a trial of Sony Vegas Movie Studio 10 - it produces lovely footage, but takes about 12 minutes to render 1 minute of video, and only ever uses about 50% of my AMD Phenom II triple core processor. Again, I have spent hours experimenting with every option available.

I have also tried a trial version of Corel Video Studio pro X4 - it lacks some of the features of the Cyberlink and Sony software, but renders lovely clear AVCHD footage in a quarter of the time of Sony Vegas MS10 - 3 minutes to render 1 minute of AVCHD, and only 1.5 minutes if the SMART render option is selected - it seems to use 100% of my AMD processor.

So any comments on how well the excellent looking Movie Plus x5 renders AVCHD video would be most appreciated - especially 1080 50i footage from a comcorder, and even better if it is using AMD rather than Intel procesor.

many thanks
Old 11th March 2011, 12:10 AM   #2
MikeR

MikeR is a glorious beacon of lightMikeR is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: MPX5 AVCHD rendering speed or smart rendering

I have rendered a couple of lengthy AVCHD projects with MvPX5 and similar projects with Vegas Movie Studio 10. My experience has been that MvPX5 completes the job in about half the time. The quality seems to me to be excellent.

Medion MD8833 with Intel Q6600 + 3GB. Win 7 64 Ultimate SP1.

Old 11th March 2011, 08:13 AM   #3
little-e

Thanks Mike for sharing that.

It sounds like Vegas Movie Studio is particularly slow at rendering AVCHD projects on both AMD and Intel processors when compared to MvPX5 and other software. (Interestingly MPEG2 rendering on Sony Vegas is very quick, but this is not useful for me as I do not have a blu-ray burner, and so am using AVCHD discs (DVDs) to record my HD footage - MPEG2 does not look good at the lower bit rates on these discs, faces especially do not reproduce well).

Has anyone else got a direct comparison of AVCHD project rendering speed for MvPX5 compared to other software, especially with AMD multi threaded processors?

many thanks
Old 11th March 2011, 07:48 PM   #4
Smegbuster

Smegbuster is on a distinguished road

On my desktop setup (see signature below), if I remember rightly AVCHD rendering a 25 minute clip seemed to be approximately 1x (perhaps slowed down by a stabilisation effect applied to the first 6 or 7 minutes), using about 90% of all 4 cores, and producing results with minimal artefacts (although the artefacts may be from the original recording, as it was low-light conditions). I intended trying Power Director (as a native 64-bit program I was wondering whether performance would be better), but if the results are poor quality then any performance improvement counts for nothing.
Regards,
Tony
PagePlus X4 (used since v3), WebPlus X4, MoviePlus X5, PhotoPlus X4, vanBasco Karaoke Player
Old 11th March 2011, 08:27 PM   #5
little-e

Smile Re: MPX5 AVCHD rendering speed or smart rendering

Thanks Tony,

It sounds like Movie Plus X5 makes good use of both your AMD processors and Mike's Intel processor and produces results of similar quality to Sony Vegas Movie Studio, but in half the time.

I think I'll take the plunge and give Movie Plus X5 a go.

With regard to Power Director I have looked at other forums, and it seems that I am not alone in noticing poor quality results after rendering. It seems that these problems are unique to footage taken on camcorders producing 1920x1080 50i footage, and if you have a high end camcorder that can take HD progresive scan footage you may not have any problems.

I am no expert, but it seems that despite all the interlace and progressive frame rate settings in Power Director, whatever option you choose it somehow blends 2 successive frames when rendering. It results in jumpy, blurred images that look poor at normal playback speed, and just look horrendous if you pause or slow play down!
Old 14th March 2011, 04:30 PM   #6
gearo

gearo is on a distinguished road

Hi all,
I am most interested in this discussion and importantly trying to understand if using a 24mbps AVCHD source material, will this application "smart render".
By this, I am looking to find an app that "passes thru" any untouched/unedited high quality source material during render or export.
I did this with my previous hd dvd editing with mainconcept plug in with premier pro and am looking to find a product that will do similar with AVCHD.
Most that I've come across, re-render the very high bitrate source material to a less value at best, in turn , reducing the original quality.
I would prefer to understand this capability from a technical viewpoint as other have suggested trialling.
I find It is not realistic just to take a subjective “look” at the exported product.
thanks in advance.
Old 14th March 2011, 09:48 PM   #7
ggrussell
Expert

ggrussell is a jewel in the roughggrussell is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearo View Post
I am most interested in this discussion and importantly trying to understand if using a 24mbps AVCHD source material, will this application "smart render".
Smart Render sounds like a great idea, but I have seen many issues with several other apps. In one app, there was a major issue where editing was done. There was a visible difference in the video quality. Nothing like have great video with transitions or effects that are obviously different quality.

I can honestly say that I have never been disappointed with MvP output quality. You can also create custom output templates if any of the defaults have lower bitrates than you expect. MvP also gives the user control over compression quality (frame to frame compression). Most software has that preset with no control at all.
Old 14th March 2011, 11:25 PM   #8
gearo

gearo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggrussell View Post
Smart Render sounds like a great idea, but I have seen many issues with several other apps. In one app, there was a major issue where editing was done. There was a visible difference in the video quality. Nothing like have great video with transitions or effects that are obviously different quality.

I can honestly say that I have never been disappointed with MvP output quality. You can also create custom output templates if any of the defaults have lower bitrates than you expect. MvP also gives the user control over compression quality (frame to frame compression). Most software has that preset with no control at all.
thanks Gary,
But I'm still not clear from your comments if MP will smart render un edited 24mbps footage throughout edited sections?
Old 15th March 2011, 12:45 AM   #9
ggrussell
Expert

ggrussell is a jewel in the roughggrussell is a jewel in the rough

Don't know, but I wouldn't expect that it does. Serif has never used the term 'smart render' in any marketing material for any version of their video editor. I also don't know of any under $99 video editor that does 'smart render' AVCHD. I own 4 different editors and have trialed many others.
Old 15th March 2011, 03:15 AM   #10
Sam Grove

Sam Grove is on a distinguished road

BTW, to the best of my knowledge, Serif gives you 30 days to try out their software.
Old 15th March 2011, 10:05 AM   #11
Jon White
Serif Europe Limited

Jon White will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggrussell View Post
Don't know, but I wouldn't expect that it does. Serif has never used the term 'smart render' in any marketing material for any version of their video editor.
We do smart rendering for DV, but that's all. Not MPEG2 or AVCHD.
Old 15th March 2011, 09:55 PM   #12
RichardS
Master

RichardS has a brilliant futureRichardS has a brilliant futureRichardS has a brilliant futureRichardS has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon White View Post
We do smart rendering for DV, but that's all. Not MPEG2 or AVCHD.
The video editor supplied with my DVD camcorder claims to do smart rendering ... but it's rubbish at editing so is effectively useless.
Old 22nd September 2012, 11:52 PM   #13
uts

uts is on a distinguished road

is it possible to do basic cut and paste and save the new file as orig avchd format without rendering? I just want to cut out commercials from tv programs.
Old 24th September 2012, 01:15 PM   #14
Jon White
Serif Europe Limited

Quote:
Originally Posted by uts View Post
is it possible to do basic cut and paste and save the new file as orig avchd format without rendering? I just want to cut out commercials from tv programs.
See post #11 in this thread.
Old 24th September 2012, 08:03 PM   #15
uts

uts is on a distinguished road

post 11 is answer regarding smart rendering. I want to know if it's possible to cut/past avchd files and save new avchd file without rendering. So I'm not interested in rendering at all.
Old 24th September 2012, 08:10 PM   #16
RichardS
Master

RichardS has a brilliant futureRichardS has a brilliant futureRichardS has a brilliant futureRichardS has a brilliant future

Quote:
post 11 is answer regarding smart rendering. I want to know if it's possible to cut/past avchd files and save new avchd file without rendering. So I'm not interested in rendering at all.
Answer: No, not using MoviePlus.
Old 24th September 2012, 10:05 PM   #17
MikeR

MikeR is a glorious beacon of lightMikeR is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
A lot of people use VideoReDo for this sort of thing.

Medion MD8833 with Intel Q6600 + 3GB. Win 7 64 Ultimate SP1.

Old 25th September 2012, 09:17 AM   #18
Jon White
Serif Europe Limited

Quote:
That's exactly what "smart rendering" means.