Go Back   Serif Software Forums > Photos and Movies > PhotoPlus

Notices

PhotoPlus Questions about using PhotoPlus for photo editing

Old 5th March 2011, 10:28 AM   #1
SPJUK

SPJUK is on a distinguished road
Default Scanning Multiple Documents

I often scan many documents at a time (100), all other image scanning software leaves the (twain) scanning interface open to scan multiple images, but PhotoPlus closes it every time - this increases the time taken to an unacceptable duration.
I have raised with Technical support and they confirm it is designed that way and have ignored my request to investigate offering (at least) an option to work in the industry standard way of leaving the scanning window open.
With this restriction the software it is not fit for my purpose. Can I get some support from the community to put some pressure on Serif to investigate a change to their software.
Thanks
Old 5th March 2011, 10:45 AM   #2
RichardS
Master

RichardS has a brilliant futureRichardS has a brilliant futureRichardS has a brilliant futureRichardS has a brilliant future
Default Re: Scanning Multiple Documents

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPJUK View Post
I often scan many documents at a time (100), all other image scanning software leaves the (twain) scanning interface open to scan multiple images, but PhotoPlus closes it every time - this increases the time taken to an unacceptable duration.
I have raised with Technical support and they confirm it is designed that way and have ignored my request to investigate offering (at least) an option to work in the industry standard way of leaving the scanning window open.
With this restriction the software it is not fit for my purpose. Can I get some support from the community to put some pressure on Serif to investigate a change to their software.
Thanks
This does seem to be a "feature" of PhotoPlus. Perhaps one problem is that the scanned images would all be left open in PhotoPlus so would quickly consume the PC's memory?

I normally use other software to scan multiple images to hard disk. Unless I'm working with an individual scan, I open scanned images from these hard disk copies.
Old 5th March 2011, 11:02 AM   #3
SPJUK

The memory isn't a problem with Adobe Photoshop Elements and Paintshop Pro.
Yes, I do have to use other software for the scanning.
My purchasing decision was driven by a choice between Adobe Dreamweaver or Serif Webplus, I chose the latter and decided that it might be useful to tightly couple the photo software and so purchased Photoplus as well. However, with this limitation I shall continue using Photoshop Elements, (and advise other Amazon customers not to purchase Photoplus if they do a lot of scanning). I can't see the point of using 2 different pieces of software.
Old 5th March 2011, 01:11 PM   #4
Bhikkhu Pesala
Master

Bhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to beholdBhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to beholdBhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
I wonder why you came to that conclusion? Just add your request to the PhotoPlus X5 Wish-list, where it will be considered for next time.

I agree that the scanner interface should be left open by default, but if you're scanning 100 images into PhotoPlus, how much memory is that going to use? At some point the images must be saved to disk to free up RAM.
Old 5th March 2011, 01:39 PM   #5
SPJUK

Tech Support did not reply to my follow up email on the subject (asking if they would investigate a change) and just closed the post.
I have now added to the X5 Wishlist but I was hoping that a patch to X4 might be supplied.
Without it my purchase of X4 is redundant.
I often only have limited time with the material to be scanned available to me, so I the bulk scan as fast as I can, return the material to the owner and then save the images with meaningful names subsequently. I've not had a memory problem to date with my other software.
Old 6th March 2011, 12:45 AM   #6
Greyfox
Expert

Greyfox is well on the road to greatness

Quote:
...I can't see the point of using 2 different pieces of software.
Arguably others might say they can't see the point of opening PhPX4 if you intend to scan 100 items so you can hand the material back to the owner.

In my case, I would simply use the CanoScan tool box that came with the Canon Scanners, which does handle repeat scanning.
Intel Core i7-2600 3.4GHz, 8GB Ram, GeForce GTX-560 (1GB), Windows 7 Pro 64 bit with VM XP-Mode. Canon 8400F scanner, Brother HL-2270DW Mono Laser, Brother MFC-J825DW Multifunction, Sony SLT-A57 and Canon IXUS-110IS cameras, Sony DCR-HC96E Video Camera. PagePlus 9,X4,X5,X6,X7, MoviePlus X3,X5,X6 PhotoPlus X3,X4,X5,X6 DrawPlus X4,X5,X6
Old 6th March 2011, 09:43 AM   #7
SPJUK

The original point is that Serif have designed the software in a non industry standard way that unnecessarily causes the user to require extra mouse clicks and slow down the scanning process for multiple documents (whether it is 10 or 100) - if someone has an auto document feeder I would imagine it is even more frustrating (see http://forums.serif.com/showthread.p...681#post609681). I can use Photoshop Elements for all my needs but I purchased Photoplus to go with Web Plus because I thought it might be useful to have tightly coupled software. With this restriction I shall stick to Photoshop Elements rather than having a solution that requires me to use different software for what should be standard functions in any basic photo software.
Old 6th March 2011, 07:26 PM   #8
DJS

DJS is on a distinguished road

I have two scanners, an Epson Perfection and a Brother MFC and am puzzled by the complaint, using 3 different image editing programmes that keep the scanner software open I'm compelled to minimize the package in order to save the scanned image (1 or 2 clicks depending on the scanning package) and 1 or 2 more clicks to restore, a total of 2 or 4 - in PhP it's 2 clicks to restore regardless, what am I missing? - DJS
Old 6th March 2011, 07:46 PM   #9
SPJUK

Hi DJS,
My process is:
Open Photoshop Elements (PSE); File Import, which opens the Epson scanning software; Click scan in Epson sw; change item being scanned on the flatbed; Click scan again (repeat n times); close epson software; for each image scanned crop, straighten and save.
With Serif after each scan the Epson sw closes, so have to click button in Serif to reopen the Epson sw and then press Scan in Epson. So Serif requires an extra mouseclick and causes a delay while the Epson scan sw reopens.
Re your process - There is no need to save after each scan (in PSE & Paintshop Pro), it can all be done at the end.
For scanning in bulk my approach is a much better ergonomic process, my mouse pointer is permanently positioned over the scan button in the Epson sw, as soon as I have loaded the next document onto the flatbed scanner I just click the mouse (without having to reposition).
Old 7th March 2011, 03:57 PM   #10
ggrussell
Expert

ggrussell is a jewel in the roughggrussell is a jewel in the rough

I agree with SPJUK. For my genealogy projects, there are times I will scan 30+ images in Ulead photoimpact. That old program still works fine in Win 7 and has no problem having that many open at once. I normally scan images at 300dpi 24bit color. Have no idea how PhotoImpact handles memory, but slow down is minimal.
Old 8th March 2011, 02:39 AM   #11
DJS

DJS is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Hi DJS,

Re your process - There is no need to save after each scan (in PSE & Paintshop Pro), it can all be done at the end.
I rarely have the need to scan more than one or two in a session so I've not had a problem - checked your comments re Paintshop Pro and found it exactly as you say - thanks for the info - DJS
Old 8th March 2011, 09:35 AM   #12
Greyfox
Expert

Greyfox is well on the road to greatness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggrussell View Post
I agree with SPJUK. For my genealogy projects, there are times I will scan 30+ images in Ulead photoimpact. That old program still works fine in Win 7 and has no problem having that many open at once. I normally scan images at 300dpi 24bit color...
Gary,
Different people have different requirements, and different preferred work methods. Yesterday I scanned 83 documents as part of a project to document the history of an organisation, and I did choose to access the scanner from PhPX4.

I personally would not consider processing large quantities of documents without saving them to individual file names along the way, and before I save them, I usually tidy up any angular errors.

Some of the documents scanned easily the first try, others, particularly those on very thin paper that had been written on both sides, and others with very faded handwriting, needed several attempts with changes to the scanner settings to get the results I wanted, so having the result of each scan appear in PhpX4 once scanned was necessary for the way I had chosen to work. To each his/her own!

Whilst I wouldn't object to having multiple document scanning included in the product, there are other issues that I think should take priority in the future development of PhotoPlus above this enhancement.
Intel Core i7-2600 3.4GHz, 8GB Ram, GeForce GTX-560 (1GB), Windows 7 Pro 64 bit with VM XP-Mode. Canon 8400F scanner, Brother HL-2270DW Mono Laser, Brother MFC-J825DW Multifunction, Sony SLT-A57 and Canon IXUS-110IS cameras, Sony DCR-HC96E Video Camera. PagePlus 9,X4,X5,X6,X7, MoviePlus X3,X5,X6 PhotoPlus X3,X4,X5,X6 DrawPlus X4,X5,X6
Old 8th March 2011, 10:26 AM   #13
RichardS
Master

RichardS has a brilliant futureRichardS has a brilliant futureRichardS has a brilliant futureRichardS has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
...others, particularly those on very thin paper that had been written on both sides...
One tip: Apparently, placing a dark backing sheet behind the flimsy sheet being scanned cuts down on print showing through from the other side.
Old 20th April 2011, 03:23 PM   #14
SPJUK

Thanks for your comments - this issue and those (bugs & functionality limitations) in the organizer means I have binned the product and reverted to Adobe Photoshop Elements.