Go Back   Serif Software Forums > Photos and Movies > PhotoPlus

Notices

PhotoPlus Questions about using PhotoPlus for photo editing

Old 4th March 2011, 11:07 PM   #1
Energize

Energize is on a distinguished road
Default Superimpose photo on photo - How to...

Please would someone help me work this one out? I'm not even sure what to be searching for.

I have a .jpg that I would like to add to another .jpg (or gif), ie a daffodil in the corner of another photo.

I don't know what to search for in the help; I have looked through my User Guide. I'm assuming I need to 'extract' the daffodil first but then what do I do with it? Or, is their another way?

I would appreciate some (simple) instructions, please.

Thanks very much
Old 4th March 2011, 11:20 PM   #2
Naz
Expert

Naz has a brilliant futureNaz has a brilliant futureNaz has a brilliant futureNaz has a brilliant future
Default Re: Superimpose photo on photo - How to...

You open the background photo, you then open the flower photo, select the flower, edit copy, go to the background poto, edit past and move into position.

iPlus360.com || Free downloads || Free PHP script generator
If someone's answer helped, please give them a Positive Reputation vote (second icon bottom left of person)
Old 4th March 2011, 11:20 PM   #3
AlfredP
Guru

AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

Once you've extracted the daffodil to give it the transparent background that you need (and which JPEGs cannot have) you can simply 'Paste As New Layer (Ctrl+L)' into the other image. Use the Deform Tool to adjust the position and size of the new layer, and then export to your chosen format when you're happy with the result.

Alfred
- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (1900-1944)
Old 4th March 2011, 11:22 PM   #4
Energize

Thanks for your post, Alfred. I'll have a go at that now.
Cheers
Old 4th March 2011, 11:45 PM   #5
Energize

Bah Humbug!!! I have 'extracted' the daffodil (not terribly well, but there you go!). I have got another layer with the 'background' layer but I can't seem to 'paste' the daffodil onto the other picture. Every time I do Ctrl + L, I just get another daffodil on yet another layer.

So, I now have a lot of layers, each with a daffodil, and one layer with the background picture. Please, what am I doing wrong, or not doing???

Thanks
Old 4th March 2011, 11:53 PM   #6
AlfredP
Guru

AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

If you have one image with multiple daffodil layers and another image with a single 'background' layer, you've simply neglected to click on the background image to make it the active image before you perform the 'Paste As New Layer' step.

Alfred
Old 4th March 2011, 11:57 PM   #7
RichardS
Master

RichardS has a brilliant futureRichardS has a brilliant futureRichardS has a brilliant futureRichardS has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Energize View Post
Bah Humbug!!! I have 'extracted' the daffodil (not terribly well, but there you go!). I have got another layer with the 'background' layer but I can't seem to 'paste' the daffodil onto the other picture. Every time I do Ctrl + L, I just get another daffodil on yet another layer.

So, I now have a lot of layers, each with a daffodil, and one layer with the background picture. Please, what am I doing wrong, or not doing???

Thanks
Yes, you will have different images on different layers. This allows you to move and to deform each layer independently.

When you are happy, you can merge the layers, or simply export the file (which flattens the layers).

One I did earlier.

Last edited by RichardS; 24th May 2011 at 10:11 AM.
Old 5th March 2011, 12:01 AM   #8
Energize

Sorry, Naz

I somehow managed to miss your post. However, along with Alfred's, it's helped me tremendously, so thank you.

Alfed, thanks for pointing out that I had failed to select the background image before trying to paste the daffodil. It's worked now!!! Brilliant.

So, now, I need to do it again, with a different picture and make notes of how to do this, as my memory is so bad. I'll never be able to do it again!!!

Thanks so very much
Julie
Old 5th March 2011, 12:04 AM   #9
Energize

Thanks Richard
You must have posted at the same time as I did!!!

I'm not sure what you mean by 'merge' or 'export'. Would you explain further for me?

Much appreciated
Old 5th March 2011, 12:19 AM   #10
AlfredP
Guru

Quote:
Thanks Richard
You must have posted at the same time as I did!!!

I'm not sure what you mean by 'merge' or 'export'. Would you explain further for me?

Much appreciated
Hi Julie,

When you choose to 'Save' from PhotoPlus you are saving the file in the native (*.Spp) format which preserves the layer structure, but when you 'Export' to a standard image file format such as JPEG (which doesn't support layers) the image is "flattened". You can also right-click in the Layers tab and 'Merge All' to reduce the .Spp image to a single layer, but this also reduces your ability to make changes easily if you come back to the image at a later date.

(~not Richard)

Alfred
Old 5th March 2011, 12:51 AM   #11
Energize

Thanks Alfred

I think I shall have to digest that tomorrow. It's getting too late for me now.
Thanks very much for your help. I've learnt more about this program this evening

Cheers
Julie
Old 5th March 2011, 01:00 AM   #12
RichardS
Master

RichardS has a brilliant futureRichardS has a brilliant futureRichardS has a brilliant futureRichardS has a brilliant future

Quote:
Thanks Alfred

I think I shall have to digest that tomorrow. It's getting too late for me now.
Thanks very much for your help. I've learnt more about this program this evening
With some antediluvian image editing programs made by famous USA companies I gather that you have to remember to merge the layers before exporting the image.

(~ not Alfred )