Go Back   Serif Software Forums > Design and Publishing > WebPlus

Notices

WebPlus Questions about using WebPlus for website design

Old 4th March 2011, 06:37 PM   #1
J Graves

J Graves is on a distinguished road
Default Printing

Can anyone tell me in plain english how I can set a button on the page I want to print with the words 'PRINT THIS PAGE' and it just prints this page!
I have had replies but members who have answered dont understand there are people who do not no the terms onclick ( where is onclick)
Old 4th March 2011, 06:54 PM   #2
Tom.
Guru

Tom. is a splendid one to beholdTom. is a splendid one to beholdTom. is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Printing

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Graves View Post
Can anyone tell me in plain english how I can set a button on the page I want to print with the words 'PRINT THIS PAGE' and it just prints this page!
I have had replies but members who have answered dont understand there are people who do not no the terms onclick ( where is onclick)
onclick is part of the code for the action to print.

This link will show you how to add a print button:-

http://foxhillers.com/webplus/scripts.html?ifrm_2=articles/print_button.html

copy the code and in WebPlus, Insert HTML Code and paste to BODY, move the HTML Code fragment to the area of the page required and then preview.
Old 4th March 2011, 07:04 PM   #3
Jim B.
Master

Jim B. will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Creating a "Print this page" button or link usually uses a small amount of JavaScript.

OnClick is one of the JavaScriipt commands. OnClick is when someone clicks on the button or link.

Printing a web page is problematic at best, and in some cases the printed pages are a total disaster. You have no control over any of your site visitor's printer's settings or the size of the paper they are using. Depending on the width and height of yoru web page, the size of the paper in their printer and other settings in their computer and printer, your one-page... page could end up having bits and portions printed on two or more sheets of paper.

The better alternate to printing a web page is to either:
  • create a new (smaller) web page that contains just the items to be printed. This usually excludes the nav bars, banner, page background, and other not necessary items.
  • Create, and link to, a PDF of the items or material that you want the site visitor to be able to print.

Picture taking. It's a snap!

Good photography. It's complicated.
Old 4th March 2011, 11:26 PM   #4
cp1

cp1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Hi J,

Make your "button" with a Text Box and Quickshape,** or import the button image you want. Right click and select 'Image Button.' This brings up a 'Form Button.' Select 'This object should act as a form button.' Select Button Type 'Normal' and then in the 'onclick' box down the bottom insert the following...

javascript:window.print()

Hit OK. Upload or preview site and test - should work for you.

Now, back to the ** above ... I'm pretty certain this doesn't work with a text box - the image you use has to be just that, an image, so if you make your button with a text box and/or quickshape you will have to convert it to an umage.

From my memory, you could group your text box and quickshape together and then right click for 'Image Export Options' and pick 'Save group as single graphic'.

Personally I would make the button how I wanted it, Right click and 'Convert to picture,' Then while it is still clicked on as 'live,' go to File, Publish Site, Export as Picture and save with the relevant name and filetype. I'd then optimise it if necessary, and re-insert the finished article in my site ready to make it into a button using the method above.

Hope that helps - I would still carefully consider exactly what your visitors will be printing as others have already mentioned earlier in the thread.

CP1