Go Back   Serif Software Forums > Photos and Movies > MoviePlus

Notices

MoviePlus Questions about using MoviePlus for video editing

Old 14th February 2011, 04:03 PM   #1
Graeme Summers

Graeme Summers is on a distinguished road
Default Remove background sound

Hi,

I have just ordered but not yet received Movieplus x5. Does anyone know if I can remove a background noise from a video. My camcorder creates a slight hum (from the motor) that I would like to remove.

Thanks

Graeme
Old 14th February 2011, 05:23 PM   #2
Jim B.
Master

Jim B. will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Remove background sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme Summers View Post
Hi,
Hey.

Quote:
I have just ordered but not yet received Movieplus x5. Does anyone know if I can remove a background noise from a video. My camcorder creates a slight hum (from the motor) that I would like to remove.
Buy a new camera (or get yours fixed) as you will have that hum in every video you make. It is far easier to fix the problem at the source, and less time involved, than trying to fix the problem in editing.

There might be two ways to remove motor hum. I don't have MoviePlus X5, so I don't know if these methods are available in MoviePlus X5:
  1. use a high-pass filter with its cutoff frequency set to a bit higher than the hum frequency. But this will remove both the hum, and all sounds lower in frequency than the filter's cutoff which might result in at least no bass and at worst a very "tinny" sound.
  2. Use a "notch" or "bandstop" filter and adjust the lower and upper cutoff frequencies to slightly less and slightly more than the motor's frequency. The problem with this is that if the motor's frequency changes, you will have to change the cutoff frequencies of the filter so the motor noise stays within the stopband.
To help reduce or maybe even prevent motor noise, use other than the camera's built-in mic. It might be enough to get a mic holder that somehow attaches to your camera and holds the mic at least a few inches away from the camera. Use a noise-canceling uni-directional mic in the stand. Plug the mic cable into the MIC connector of the camera.

Picture taking. It's a snap!

Good photography. It's complicated.

Last edited by Jim B.; 14th February 2011 at 06:10 PM.
Old 14th February 2011, 05:37 PM   #3
Gordon L

Gordon L is on a distinguished road

Buying a new camera may not be the optimum solution - its pricey and most domestic cameras produce some noise when using the zoom for eg. Changing the mic is good advice though.
You can remove background sounds in Audacity (free from http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/ ) but you'll get some digitalisation noise so it has to be used sensitively (plenty of adjustment available though) and then there's the issue of syncing back to MP - be worth a try though.
Old 14th February 2011, 06:04 PM   #4
pigolato

pigolato is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Hi,

I just received MPX5 today, and after a quick play and test, the answer to your question is yes, you can remove your slight hum, using the "band pass" filter, or the "band reject" filter, as suggested by Jim above.
I just tried it with a clip with some wind noise, and it very effectively removed it. That's with a very quick tryout.