DrBob
Advanced Member

DrBob is well on the road to greatness
Question Can you make a 3 minute film?

See http://3minutes-film.com/
Old 25th January 2011, 02:11 AM   #2
ecbritz

ecbritz is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Can you make a 3 minute film?

I like that linked movie about Detroit, your Home Town! The wheel of fortune turns and in Shanghai where I live temporarily its the complete opposite. General Motors China sold almost 2.5 million cars in 2010, over here. We see the Buick & Chev models being produced in Shanghai a year or two before you see the same "new" models in America. All Detroit needs to do is match the production costs in Shanghai, then the wheel will start to turn your way again. I've made some MoviePlus home movies about this, don't worry.
Old 25th January 2011, 12:43 PM   #3
DrBob
Advanced Member

DrBob is well on the road to greatness
Exclamation The hidden cost in cars

I would like to see your movies.

As the wheel turns, I don't it will ever happen because of several things.
  1. The cost of living is so much higher here in Detroit.
  2. Michigan has a 21% unemployment. (That includes the federal records and the state records covering those who are under employed or given up looking)
  3. Automation of manufacturing means less employees and better quality control.
  4. We have much higher safety standards on U.S. cars. The extra cast and weight is about 1/3 more.
  5. The cast of company paid retirement and medical insurance.
  6. The environmental restrictions add up in the cost of production too.
Most of the land around Michigan's old factories are highly contaminated with Toxic waste. People didn't know or care then if Highly toxic waste was dumped in the factory's parking lots as fill and spread across the area on car tires. Or pored down the drain and got into the cities water supply and poisoned the fish in the lakes that they bought at the stores. No own ever considered what the outcome of toxic smoke in the air that caused birth deficits, cancer or diabetes. The soil in Detroit is still highly contaminated around the old factories and so are the buildings. The cost of demolition is out of thought because most of them are HAZMAT sites. Can you imagine the cost of demolition of a building built to be bomb proof when your crew had to ware special clothing and Oxygen masks? To make things worse, Encase the building site in air tight plastic to keep the toxins inside so you can scrub the air clean before allowing it out. Then what do you with the ruble?

Last edited by DrBob; 25th January 2011 at 12:50 PM.