Go Back   Serif Software Forums > Design and Publishing > WebPlus

Notices

WebPlus Questions about using WebPlus for website design

Old 20th January 2011, 05:18 PM   #1
suseque

suseque is on a distinguished road
Default WebPlus 6

I'm hoping someone can help me - I am using an old version of Webplus(6)for a Church website and up to last week it worked fine. This week since Sunday, I am unable to publish site to web and it just comes up with 'unable to access your site'. I haven't changed anything - server, username, password and folder still the same. The site is still accessible on the web, I just can't change anything. Does anyone know how to solve this? Thanks.
Old 20th January 2011, 05:41 PM   #2
Tom.
Guru

Tom. is a splendid one to beholdTom. is a splendid one to beholdTom. is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: WebPlus 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by suseque View Post
I'm hoping someone can help me - I am using an old version of Webplus(6)for a Church website and up to last week it worked fine. This week since Sunday, I am unable to publish site to web and it just comes up with 'unable to access your site'. I haven't changed anything - server, username, password and folder still the same. The site is still accessible on the web, I just can't change anything. Does anyone know how to solve this? Thanks.
Welcome to the forums.

I'm surprise that WP6 will run at all, I have WP7 installed for fun and it shuts down most of the time. Why not try the free WebPlus Starter Edition which is based on the current WPX4 version with some features removed.

Must be worth a try?
Old 20th January 2011, 05:45 PM   #3
mjh
The one and only mjh

mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomR View Post
Welcome to the forums.

I'm surprise that WP6 will run at all, I have WP7 installed for fun and it shuts down most of the time. Why not try the free WebPlus Starter Edition which is based on the current WPX4 version with some features removed.

Must be worth a try?
And, to follow TomR's suggestion, if you think the site will need more pages, add them to the WP6 file.

Make a copy of that old file and open the copy in WebPlus started edition. You will not be able to add more pages in the newer, free version.

PS If you phone Serif sales, you should be able to negoiate about $40.00 for the full current version, WP X4.
Old 20th January 2011, 05:59 PM   #4
Jim B.
Master

Jim B. will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Contact your web host to see what they changed - perhaps your user name or password, or FTP address.

Or maybe your web host has changed to a secure file transfer method. If they are now using secure FTP, then your old WebPlus 6 will no longer work with that web host because WebPlus 6 does not support secure transfer.

Picture taking. It's a snap!

Good photography. It's complicated.
Old 20th January 2011, 06:12 PM   #5
mjh
The one and only mjh

mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim B. View Post
Contact your web host to see what they changed - perhaps your user name or password, or FTP address.

Or maybe your web host has changed to a secure file transfer method. If they are now using secure FTP, then your old WebPlus 6 will no longer work with that web host because WebPlus 6 does not support secure transfer.
Only WebPlus X4 supports secure transfer.
Old 21st January 2011, 06:05 PM   #6
suseque

suseque is on a distinguished road

Thanks to all who replied - looks as though I'm going to have to spend a bit of money and buy a newer version!
Old 21st January 2011, 07:04 PM   #7
Jim B.
Master

Quote:
Thanks to all who replied - looks as though I'm going to have to spend a bit of money and buy a newer version!
The newish WebPlus Starter Edition is free. Try it on a copy of your WebPous 6 project. It is limited to creating only 5 pages, and doesn't have the full range of tools and features, but it might be all you need!

The newish WebPlus Essentials cost about half the price of the full version. It has more features than the Starter Edition, but fewer than the full version.

WebPlus full version seems to be on offer.

If you are registered with Serif as an owner of one of their software titles, then you might qualify for the lower upgrade prices. The upgrade version of the software is the standard retail full version, and does not require that you have a previous version already installed. It just has a lower price.

Old 21st January 2011, 11:18 PM   #8
nakedanvil
Advanced Member

Location: In the shadow of Mt. Rain-ier in Washington state, US of A (God Save The Queen)
nakedanvil is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim B. View Post
WebPlus full version seems to be on offer.
I think it's always "on offer"! IMAO
Old 21st January 2011, 11:24 PM   #9
Jim B.
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakedanvil View Post
I think it's always "on offer"! IMAO
SSHHH! That's a closely held secret!