Go Back   Serif Software Forums > Design and Publishing > DrawPlus

Notices

DrawPlus Questions about using DrawPlus for vector graphics design

Old 6th December 2010, 05:27 PM   #1
DocPit

DocPit is on a distinguished road
Default Problem Closing Curves

Greetings Everyone,

Hope it is warmer where you are than it is in Chicago.

I know questions about closing curves have been asked and answered fairly extensively (e.g., siehorst's post about "glueing curves" on Oct 2, 2010). Most of the time, I don't have a problem closing shapes. However, sometimes I get into a situation as represented in the attached .jpg. Please take a look.

I can't close the shape between the two closest points. Instead I get these diagonal lines that project to more distant points. If I delete the nodes to which they are attached, they attach to the next node on the curve. I can't break the curve at their attachment points to isolate and delete them. In short, they are a curse!

Can anyone suggest how I can get rid of the diagonal lines and close the shape at the two closest points, as indicated in the image? My next move is to try exorcism.

Thanks,
DocPit
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CloseShapeProblem.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	17311  
Old 6th December 2010, 06:40 PM   #2
Bhikkhu Pesala
Master

Bhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to beholdBhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to beholdBhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Problem Closing Curves

I suspect it will be much easier for the experts to help if you attach a DrawPlus file with just the relevant objects.
Old 6th December 2010, 09:07 PM   #3
DocPit

As far as I can see, the attached file has just the relevant objects: (1) the two points where I would like to close the curve [upper left] and (2) the diagonal lines I would like to get rid of.
Old 6th December 2010, 10:33 PM   #4
Bhikkhu Pesala
Master

Bhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to beholdBhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to beholdBhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to behold

As far as I can tell the attached image is a JPG, not a DrawPlus drawing.
Old 6th December 2010, 10:49 PM   #5
grovesie

grovesie has much to be proud ofgrovesie has much to be proud ofgrovesie has much to be proud of

It's difficult to tell from the JPG, because it looks like two seperate objects, or the lines cross, I'm not quite sure.

I think that's why Pesala is asking for the DPP file.

Steve
Old 7th December 2010, 02:28 AM   #6
DocPit

Pesala and Grovsie,

It never even occurred to me, but, of course, with a .dpp file you can open it and inspect it. Thank you.

I am attaching a .dpp file. I filled the shape, but, if you click on the right side, you will see one line. If you click on the inside of the pant leg, you will see the other. I hope that's useful.

Thanks again for opening my eyes to the obvious regarding the .dpp file.

r/DocPit
Attached Files
File Type: dpp CloseShapeProblem.dpp (17.5 KB, 8 views)
Old 7th December 2010, 06:56 AM   #7
Bhikkhu Pesala
Master

In the attached drawing, there are more than two shapes. There are 17 more on the line separating the two. You can select them for deletion by using lasso drag hold the alter key down while marquee selecting around them. Giving the two large objects a lighter fill will enable you to see them. Then it should be possible to combine the two large curves into one.

Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 23rd January 2012 at 08:43 AM.
Old 7th December 2010, 07:34 AM   #8
Foxy
Advanced Member

Foxy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocPit View Post
Pesala and Grovsie,

It never even occurred to me, but, of course, with a .dpp file you can open it and inspect it. Thank you.

r/DocPit
Hi DocPit,

Removing the extra bits and pieces, then using the node tool to reshape the problematic area, seemed to work quite well. Take a look if you like.

George

Last edited by Foxy; 23rd February 2011 at 12:07 PM.
Old 7th December 2010, 02:10 PM   #9
DocPit

Many thanks to everyone who responded. I learned a lot. I used Add to combine the two shapes. Before doing that, if I tried to delete the diagonal lines by deleting nodes, each line would simply jump to the next node. Once the two shapes were combined, I was able to selectively delete nodes and reshape as needed. I do have a follow-up question.

After combining the two shapes into one, I was still left with the diagonal lines. I was able to select and then begin to erase the lines, using the eraser tool. However, at a certain point, the eraser tool stopped erasing and started behaving like the Freeform Paint tool. It was drawing lines! I checked to see if Eraser was still the tool selected, and, yes, it was. It simply would not erase any further. [At that point, I started to selectively delete nodes.] I thought that was bizarre. I don't want to take up too much of people's time, but if anyone knows off-hand what that's all about, I would love to know.

Thanks, again, for all your help.

Kind Regards,
DocPit
Old 10th December 2010, 03:11 PM   #10
DocPit

If I draw a shape in several segments (rather than as a single continuous line), I can then shift+select all segments, and I can go to Tools>Join Curves. That appears to be the easiest way to create a single closed shape from several line segments.

For less experienced people, like myself, it is helpful conceptually to understand:
(1) Attempting to join the curves by using the Close Curves button on the Node Tool's context bar will result in the creation of two separate closed objects. For each, a line will be drawn from one open point to another to close the curve.
(2) Using the Combine option on the Arrange tab will produce a “polycurve,” which is “an object made of two (or more) distinct curves”; still not a single closed object.
(3) Instead, select both curves with the Node Tool. Then, go to the top menu and select Tools>Join Curves. This creates a single closed object which, e.g., is easy to fill.

Again, many thanks for the helpful information from Forum members.

Last edited by DocPit; 10th December 2010 at 03:17 PM. Reason: Additional Information