Go Back   Serif Software Forums > Community > General

Notices

General Discussions that don't relate to a specific Serif product

Old 28th November 2010, 02:19 PM   #1
mjh
The one and only mjh

mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)
Default SanDisk 64mb memory stick

I've been given a 64mb memory stick. When I put it into this computer, it has no folders, just the memstick.ind file.

Does this suggest the mem stick is no good? Needs formatting? Or something else.

Thanks in advance.
Old 28th November 2010, 02:32 PM   #2
Martin Taylor
Expert

Martin Taylor has a brilliant futureMartin Taylor has a brilliant futureMartin Taylor has a brilliant futureMartin Taylor has a brilliant future
Default Re: SanDisk 64mb memory stick

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh View Post
I've been given a 64mb memory stick. When I put it into this computer, it has no folders, just the memstick.ind file.

Does this suggest the mem stick is no good? Needs formatting? Or something else.

Thanks in advance.
I wouldn't expect any folders on a new USB stick. Try doing a Properties / Error check on the stick, or Scandisk, or whatever it's called on your OS.
Old 28th November 2010, 02:35 PM   #3
William

William is just really niceWilliam is just really nice

Try dropping some files into it, if it accepts them then it is working.
Old 28th November 2010, 02:36 PM   #4
mjh
The one and only mjh

mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
Try dropping some files into it, if it accepts them then it is working.
Thanks, William, appreciated.
Old 28th November 2010, 02:36 PM   #5
mjh
The one and only mjh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Taylor View Post
I wouldn't expect any folders on a new USB stick. Try doing a Properties / Error check on the stick, or Scandisk, or whatever it's called on your OS.
Thanks, Martin, will do.
Old 28th November 2010, 03:00 PM   #6
mjh
The one and only mjh

Update:

William, I could add files to the mem stick and they open as they should.

Martin, I'll run chkdsk later.

Thanks again. My new-to-me camera is charging, then I'll test this stick in the camera itself. Got a real bargain on ebay.com
Old 28th November 2010, 04:06 PM   #7
bookmarkmns01

bookmarkmns01 is a name known to allbookmarkmns01 is a name known to all

64mb was the first disk I ever bought...it cost somewhere around 60...I see a 64gb stick can be had for less than that now....

If the stick is old I would be cautious about putting anything critical on it -

"Like all flash memory devices, flash drives can sustain only a limited number of write and erase cycles before failure" - Wikipedia

Mark
Old 28th November 2010, 04:11 PM   #8
RichardS
Master

RichardS has a brilliant futureRichardS has a brilliant futureRichardS has a brilliant futureRichardS has a brilliant future

Quote:
Update:

William, I could add files to the mem stick and they open as they should.

Martin, I'll run chkdsk later.

Thanks again. My new-to-me camera is charging, then I'll test this stick in the camera itself. Got a real bargain on ebay.com
Remember that Flash memory has a finite life. Some types fail after as few as 1000 writing operations. So it is not good to perform lots of test writes.

If this is a camera memory card. It is always better to format it using the actual camera, rather than a PC or card reader.

It's also good to format it using the camera before first use.... and occasionally after that.
Old 28th November 2010, 04:46 PM   #9
mjh
The one and only mjh

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
Remember that Flash memory has a finite life. Some types fail after as few as 1000 writing operations. So it is not good to perform lots of test writes.

If this is a camera memory card. It is always better to format it using the actual camera, rather than a PC or card reader.

It's also good to format it using the camera before first use.... and occasionally after that.
RichardS

I've had little experience with these memory sticks, hence my questions here. where I know I will get quality response.
Old 28th November 2010, 04:54 PM   #10
BrianE
Master

BrianE is a jewel in the roughBrianE is a jewel in the rough

The 64MB memory stick will hold only a few photos.

Often you can order or purchase a 2 GB memory stick for $5 if it's on sale.
Old 28th November 2010, 04:58 PM   #11
mjh
The one and only mjh

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmasternapa View Post
The 64MB memory stick will hold only a few photos.

Often you can order or purchase a 2 GB memory stick for $5 if it's on sale.
My other one is a whoppingg 16 MB. LOL.

I use the camera primarily for webwork so have it set to a fairly low resolution. A tip from Lon. It is a ten year old Sony DSC-S85.

I see the battery is now charged, so I will give it a test drive.

Keep the good advice coming, please. I also have one of these mem sticks in my old Sony Handycam.
Old 28th November 2010, 05:27 PM   #12
mjh
The one and only mjh

Well, the proof is in the performance

Here is my constant companion, ThreeSpot, wondering what I was doing.

I guess the camera, battery and mem stick work. Yippee.

The camera was set at 1280x960 and the 64MB stick should hold about 90 shots.

In PhP X4, I cropped him and in Export Optimizer, decreased the image dimensions and set it to 90% plus Lanczos3.

And, the camera made the two folders I am used to seeing.
E:\DCIM\100MSDCF

Mark, I will shop around for reasonably priced and sized mem sticks. That's for the heads-up on the issue. The two sticks I have came with the camera.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ThreeSpot_28Nov10.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	17056  

Last edited by mjh; 28th November 2010 at 05:32 PM.
Old 28th November 2010, 05:40 PM   #13
RichardS
Master

RichardS has a brilliant futureRichardS has a brilliant futureRichardS has a brilliant futureRichardS has a brilliant future

Quote:
Well, the proof is in the performance

Here is my constant companion, ThreeSpot, wondering what I was doing.
Nice photo.
Old 28th November 2010, 05:42 PM   #14
mjh
The one and only mjh

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
Nice photo.
Thanks, RichardS, but you should see the one that got away. LOL!!!
Old 28th November 2010, 06:13 PM   #15
BrianE
Master

BrianE is a jewel in the roughBrianE is a jewel in the rough

The first thing that caught my eye in the photo was not the cat.

It was the AOL browser.
Old 28th November 2010, 06:17 PM   #16
mjh
The one and only mjh

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmasternapa View Post
The first thing that caught my eye in the photo was not the cat.

It was the AOL browser.
Yup, AOL on the right and Chrome on the left.

Apps in the middle.
Old 28th November 2010, 06:21 PM   #17
Jim B.
Master

Jim B. will become famous soon enough
Default Memory Stick & Sony DSC-S85

Here is Sony's "Product & Support" page for the DSC-S85.

Here is the PDF owner's manual for the Sony DSC-S85.

The camera uses a Sony NP-FM50 battery; the same as one of my cameras. Other brands seem to work well, and cost less. Look at Overstock.com and similar places.

Format the Memory Stick in the camera before 1st use. The camera writes a few folders and files for its own use. Due to solid state memory having a limited number of read/write cycles, in the future you should reformat the Memory Stick only if you suspect it of having become corrupted. Otherwise, to remove the photos from the stick, just use the camera's delete/erase instead of format.

I recommend using the camera to format the stick or to delete photos, instead of using the computer.

The DSC-F85 uses the original, standard, large-size of Memory Sticks, which seem to have been discontinued and new ones offered for sale are difficult to find.

The Sony Memory Stick Compatibility Chart shows the DSC-F85 as being able to use Memory Sticks of no larger than 128 MB.

The original Memory Stick was a purpleish color. You might also find a sort of blue color or a white color. Whatever color, if it is the large-size Memory Stick of 128 MB or less, it will probably work in your camera.

The white Memory Sticks were usually labeled as being "MagicGate". This is a DRM system invented by Sony for Memory sticks intended for use in audio devices. The white sticks were higher-priced due to the MagicGate, but the sticks work OK in the camera, too.

The Memory Stick DUO is a physically smaller version of the original/standard-sized Memory Stick. You can use a Memory Stick DUO of up to 128 MB in your camera, by using the adapter that was usually included with new MS DUO sticks.

The Memory Stick Select is/was two 128 MB cores in a single stick for a total of 256 MB storage. There is a switch on the Memory Stick that you slide to select either of the 128 MB cores. The idea behind the MS Select was that you could have one stick for 256 MB storage instead of two sticks, and at a lesser price than two sticks.

Picture taking. It's a snap!

Good photography. It's complicated.

Last edited by Jim B.; 28th November 2010 at 06:32 PM.
Old 28th November 2010, 06:27 PM   #18
mjh
The one and only mjh

Default Re: Memory Stick & Sony DSC-S85

WOW, Jim B.

Thanks for the education. I wondered about those DUO labeled mem sticks. Now I know. I've been and gone to ebay.

I had downloaded the manual earlier today as one was not included in the kit my bro gave me earlier this year. That camera has not been seen since I attended a conference at MSU in September, hence the replacement.
Old 28th November 2010, 06:39 PM   #19
Jim B.
Master

Jim B. will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Thanks for the education. I wondered about those DUO labeled mem sticks. Now I know. I've been and gone to ebay.

I had downloaded the manual earlier today as one was not included in the kit my bro gave me earlier this year. That camera has not been seen since I attended a conference at MSU in September, hence the replacement.
Got questions? Ask. I've been using various Sony digital cameras and forms of Memory Sticks, and highly involved with a Sony-specific digital camera forum, since 1998.

Picture taking. It's a snap!

Good photography. It's complicated.
Old 28th November 2010, 07:06 PM   #20
mjh
The one and only mjh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim B. View Post
Got questions? Ask. I've been using various Sony digital cameras and forms of Memory Sticks, and highly involved with a Sony-specific digital camera forum, since 1998.
So, these would be appropriate?

http://photography.shop.ebay.com/Cam...=p3286.c0.m282