Go Back   Serif Software Forums > Design and Publishing > WebPlus

Notices

WebPlus Questions about using WebPlus for website design

Old 14th November 2010, 04:32 PM   #1
LeeChapman

LeeChapman is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Server Error in Application HTTP ERROR 403.14 Forbidden

I've used Serif WebPlus X4 to create a website for a friend. He has purchased web space and a URL address from 123-Reg.

We downloaded FileZilla. We have upload the site by using File Zilla as the upload from WebPlus X4 was giving us the 'There was an error opening remote file page10.html for writing (Open Request Failed)' Error.

Upon trying the URL we are given the attached error page:

Any ideas?

This is the first time I have created a site and tried to upload it.
Old 14th November 2010, 04:40 PM   #2
nfc212
Master

nfc212 has a reputation beyond reputenfc212 has a reputation beyond reputenfc212 has a reputation beyond reputenfc212 has a reputation beyond reputenfc212 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Server Error in Application HTTP ERROR 403.14 Forbidden

If you are using Filezilla when you connect to the server you should see the root folder in there there will be a folder called web, double click it to open it. In there will be a folder called content, double click that to open it.

You will now need to upload all the files and folders created when you did Publish to disk folder. Assuming you have done this and are not trying to upload the .wpp file.

The Ferret - Using PHP & MySQL to create dynamic Web Plus sites
Sleeping tigers do not concern themselves over the opinions of sheep.
An Independent Forum for web design/development and all things creative.
Old 14th November 2010, 04:42 PM   #3
mjh
The one and only mjh

mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

Hi Lee

Welcome to the Serif forums.

Pull out the original email from the host as it contains the ftp informationm. I suspect you are uploading to the wrong FOLDER on the host.

Go to the WP ftp dialog and check what you've entered in the folder field.

And, with an extrenal ftp app, you need to File > Publish Site > Publish to Disk Folder > upload the contents of that folder to the host.
Old 14th November 2010, 05:03 PM   #4
LeeChapman

Hi

Looking at the web / content folder in File Zilla our sites file is displaying as WPP. What is this then? Is there another way we are meant to upload the site to see a different file type?

Regards
Lee
Old 14th November 2010, 05:04 PM   #5
mjh
The one and only mjh

mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeChapman View Post
Hi

Looking at the web / content folder in File Zilla our sites file is displaying as WPP. What is this then? Is there another way we are meant to upload the site to see a different file type?

Regards
Lee
Lee

I suspect you uploaded the WebPlus file rather than publishing to disk as mentioned above.
Old 14th November 2010, 05:10 PM   #6
Tom.
Guru

Tom. is a splendid one to beholdTom. is a splendid one to beholdTom. is a splendid one to behold

Publish to disk to get the html pages, script folders etc, etc.

These are the files to upload not the WebPlus wpp file.
Old 14th November 2010, 05:11 PM   #7
LeeChapman

Hi

So when you say "upload the contents of that folder to the host", is host a location in the output folder? As currently it's pointing at: C:\Program Files\FileZilla FTP Client\docs

Is that correct?
Old 14th November 2010, 05:12 PM   #8
nfc212
Master

nfc212 has a reputation beyond reputenfc212 has a reputation beyond reputenfc212 has a reputation beyond reputenfc212 has a reputation beyond reputenfc212 has a reputation beyond repute

You need to do a publish to disk first.

Click on the Publish icon dropdown arrow and select Publish to disk folder.

Create a folder with a unique name, e.g. njh_site and click Publish all pages and then OK.

In Filezilla in the left hand middle pane navigate to this folder and open it. Then upload all the .html files and all the folders, don't open the folders just drag them into the right hand middle pane or into the Process Queue at the bottom.

Old 14th November 2010, 05:16 PM   #9
nfc212
Master

Quote:
Hi

So when you say "upload the contents of that folder to the host", is host a location in the output folder? As currently it's pointing at: C:\Program Files\FileZilla FTP Client\docs

Is that correct?
Where is this output folder being referred to, in Web Plus or in Filezilla?

Old 14th November 2010, 05:18 PM   #10
LeeChapman

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfc212 View Post
Where is this output folder being referred to, in Web Plus or in Filezilla?
WebPlus
Old 14th November 2010, 05:25 PM   #11
LeeChapman

Okay, I've got as far as this:

Should I now:

delete the site6.wpp appearing on the right hand side
copy files from the left hand side: 'wpimages', 'wpscrips' and all the 'PageX.html' files to the right hand side web content folder?

(Thanks for all the quality help so far)
Old 14th November 2010, 05:30 PM   #12
nfc212
Master

In the Publish to disk folder dialog create the folder you want to output the HTML files to and save it wherever you like. Make sure it is easy to find, desktop would do or My Documents. Just ensure you create a folder with a unique name so you can find it, e.g. C:\Desktop\njh_site\

Publish to that folder then in Filezilla connect to the server folder you need to upload to in the right middle pane.

In the left middle pane find the folder njh_site and open it. You will see index.html and other .html files and some folders such as wpscripts select all these and drag them into the right hand pane. Simple as that.

Old 14th November 2010, 05:39 PM   #13
nfc212
Master

Quote:
Okay, I've got as far as this:

Should I now:

delete the site6.wpp appearing on the right hand side
copy files from the left hand side: 'wpimages', 'wpscrips' and all the 'PageX.html' files to the right hand side web content folder?

(Thanks for all the quality help so far)
That's it. Click on the wpscripts folder at teh top hold down the Shift key and click on the bottom file, page9.html. This will highlight all the files and folders now drag them all into the right pane where the .wpp file is.

You may as well leave that there as it will serve as a backup if anything goes wrong with your project file.

Old 14th November 2010, 05:44 PM   #14
LeeChapman

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfc212 View Post
In the Publish to disk folder dialog create the folder you want to output the HTML files to and save it wherever you like. Make sure it is easy to find, desktop would do or My Documents. Just ensure you create a folder with a unique name so you can find it, e.g. C:\Desktop\njh_site\

Publish to that folder then in Filezilla connect to the server folder you need to upload to in the right middle pane.

In the left middle pane find the folder njh_site and open it. You will see index.html and other .html files and some folders such as wpscripts select all these and drag them into the right hand pane. Simple as that.
Okay....

Files saved to a new disk folder. I've connected to that folder in FileZilla and can't see the files in the left pane. However I can see one named index.html. Should I see a file named index.html? If so how do I go about getting one there?

Old 14th November 2010, 05:49 PM   #15
Ali
Guru

Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

Quote:
Okay....

Files saved to a new disk folder. I've connected to that folder in FileZilla and can't see the files in the left pane. However I can see one named index.html. Should I see a file named index.html? If so how do I go about getting one there?

That is what your home page should be called - have you changed its file name in page properties in WP?

Oh, hang on - looking at your screenshot, you have not published your site at all - you have merely uploaded the .wpp file. Why don't you use WP's built-in FTP client?
WPX2-6 SITES: The Falcon Inn (X6) | Martin Sexton - Artist (X2) | Clover Greetings
(X6)
Old 14th November 2010, 06:03 PM   #16
LeeChapman

Okay files uploaded successfully (by the looks of it!). Checked URL and still getting the HTTP ERROR. Should I see instant changes or does it take several hours to show live on the internet?

Also I still can't see a file named index.html. I don't recall changing any page names.

Old 14th November 2010, 06:06 PM   #17
Ali
Guru

Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

Quote:
Okay files uploaded successfully (by the looks of it!). Checked URL and still getting the HTTP ERROR. Should I see instant changes or does it take several hours to show live on the internet?

Also I still can't see a file named index.html. I don't recall changing any page names.

If you have published to disk first, the home page will be index.html. If that isn't there, then you either haven't published the home page or you have changed its file name.
WPX2-6 SITES: The Falcon Inn (X6) | Martin Sexton - Artist (X2) | Clover Greetings
(X6)
Old 14th November 2010, 06:20 PM   #18
LeeChapman

Are there any checks I can do in Web Plus to find out?

All files have been published so I'm guessing it must have been renamed somewhere along the line.

I do recall a file named something like default.html file was deleted from one of the File Zilla Remote Site Folders. could this have something to so with it? If so how do I get it back and where does it need to be?
Old 14th November 2010, 06:27 PM   #19
Ali
Guru

Quote:
Are there any checks I can do in Web Plus to find out?

All files have been published so I'm guessing it must have been renamed somewhere along the line.

I do recall a file named something like default.html file was deleted from one of the File Zilla Remote Site Folders. could this have something to so with it? If so how do I get it back and where does it need to be?
Right click on your home page within WP, choose page properties and check that the file name box contains index.html.
(X6)
Old 14th November 2010, 06:35 PM   #20
LeeChapman

double post sorry