Go Back   Serif Software Forums > Design and Publishing > WebPlus

Notices

WebPlus Questions about using WebPlus for website design

Old 2nd November 2010, 06:39 PM   #1
Pango

Pango is on a distinguished road
Default text vs curves

hopefully someone can help me out with understanding this. i've uploaded a snip from my website and on the left is a preview in internet explorer with the text as text. on the right is a preview in internet explorer with the text as curves.

how come the text doesn't look as good as the curves? specifically the spacing between some of the letters. i admit that i am picky but i just want things to look as good as they can

i'd like to keep the site as text for ease of updating, is this unrealistic?

thanks in advance.

update - just checked in Chrome and it looks the same.

oh and apologies for the large photo, i just wanted to be clear of what i was talking about, i can take it down after if it's too annoying

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Old 2nd November 2010, 06:56 PM   #2
Pango

Default Re: text vs curves

i figured this out. i simply need to create a text frame and put the text into it as opposed to creating the text with the artistic text tool. silly me.
Old 3rd November 2010, 03:45 AM   #3
Frank B.

Frank B. has a brilliant futureFrank B. has a brilliant futureFrank B. has a brilliant futureFrank B. has a brilliant future

A couple of things you need to be aware of. Normal text MUST be rendered in a web-safe font. If you choose an artistic font that may not be installed on all computers, your text will be displayed in one of the few web-safe fonts regardless of the font you may have specified in your page design. This can cause your carefully crafted layout to become a bit of a mess when viewed on computers that don't have your font installed. To overcome this problem, you can use the CONVERT TO CURVES function to turn your text into a graphic. This will then show up on your website exactly as you intended. Actually, converting to curves turns each individual letter into a graphic, so it's always best to group them so they form a single image.

The problem with converting text to graphics is that the text becomes unreadable by search engines, therefore, its always better to add some alt text to the text image so it can be read by both search engines and screen readers.

Regards

Frank B.
Old 3rd November 2010, 11:39 AM   #4
Pango

perfect, thanks for the clarification Frank