Go Back   Serif Software Forums > Design and Publishing > WebPlus

Notices

WebPlus Questions about using WebPlus for website design

Old 27th October 2010, 02:23 PM   #1
Brewster

Brewster is on a distinguished road
Default printing multiple pages in firefox

I'm setting up a directory with 3 pages for an association. When I try to print it in Firefox, it only prints 1st page, and other 2 pages are blank.

After investigating it, I found there is a bug in Firefox that is the culprit. IE, Opera & Safari will print as desired.

The issues is with 'overflow:hidden', and from what I found on tech sites, removal of 'overflow:hidden' will resolve the Firefox problem. But WebPlus X4 won't let me manually remove it. Below is the line from the page code where 'overflow:hidden' resides.

Any suggestions?
Thanks!

<!--Preamble-->
<div id="txt_49" style="position:absolute; left:39px; top:90px; width:304px; height:2009px;-moz-box-sizing:border-box;-webkit-box-sizing:border-box;box-sizing:border-box; overflow:hidden; /*BorderDivStyle*/" __AddCode="InsideBorderDiv">
<!--BorderDivContents-->
Old 27th October 2010, 02:28 PM   #2
nfc212
Master

nfc212 has a reputation beyond reputenfc212 has a reputation beyond reputenfc212 has a reputation beyond reputenfc212 has a reputation beyond reputenfc212 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: printing multiple pages in firefox

Try right clicking on the text box and Text Format>Overflowing Text>Overflow.

The Ferret - Using PHP & MySQL to create dynamic Web Plus sites
Sleeping tigers do not concern themselves over the opinions of sheep.
An Independent Forum for web design/development and all things creative.
Old 27th October 2010, 04:35 PM   #3
Brewster

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfc212 View Post
try right clicking on the text box and text format>overflowing text>overflow.
Perfect! Thank you!! Sm:fonz
Old 27th October 2010, 05:04 PM   #4
Jim B.
Master

Jim B. will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewster View Post
I'm setting up a directory with 3 pages for an association. When I try to print it in Firefox, it only prints 1st page, and other 2 pages are blank.

Any suggestions?
1. Use a PDF file instead of trying to print a web page.

2. Create a separate web page that contains just the stuff that you want printed, and as just a single, as-long-as-needed length to hold your information. Leave out nav buttons, background colors and images, etc. On your "regular" web page, put something similar to "click here for a printable version: that links to your specially created... er... printable version.

Picture taking. It's a snap!

Good photography. It's complicated.
Old 28th October 2010, 12:53 AM   #5
Brewster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim B. View Post
1. Use a PDF file instead of trying to print a web page.

2. Create a separate web page that contains just the stuff that you want printed, and as just a single, as-long-as-needed length to hold your information. Leave out nav buttons, background colors and images, etc. On your "regular" web page, put something similar to "click here for a printable version: that links to your specially created... er... printable version.
Hi Jim,

I suggested that to customer, but they wanted the directory to print from site (I think they saw it on someone else's site so they've got it in their brain this was the way to do it.)

Personally it will be easier for me since all I have to do is updated directory and not fool with creating a new PDF every time they want to change it, so I'm not going to press it with them.

With the other suggestion, I implemented it and all is well in my world for now.

Thanks!
Old 13th December 2011, 10:39 AM   #6
aerialsandtv.com

aerialsandtv.com is well on the road to greatness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewster View Post

After investigating it, I found there is a bug in Firefox that is the culprit. IE, Opera & Safari will print as desired.

The issues is with 'overflow:hidden', and from what I found on tech sites, removal of 'overflow:hidden' will resolve the Firefox problem. But WebPlus X4 won't let me manually remove it. Below is the line from the page code where 'overflow:hidden' resides.

Any suggestions?
Thanks!

<!--Preamble-->
<div id="txt_49" style="position:absolute; left:39px; top:90px; width:304px; height:2009px;-moz-box-sizing:border-box;-webkit-box-sizing:border-box;box-sizing:border-box; overflow:hidden; /*BorderDivStyle*/" __AddCode="InsideBorderDiv">
<!--BorderDivContents-->
I`m using X2.
I`ve got this problem. Pages will print in IE but only the first page will print in Firefox. I have tried switching on text overflow (Auto Scroll) but the problem is still there.
In a way I`m pleased because I`ve been "umming and ahhing" for months, nay years, as to whether I should enable Auto Scroll for all the text boxes on my site particularly so that foreign users (using Google Translate) can get to read all the text
One of the things which was putting me off was that, supposedly, the page wouldn`t print out in Firefox if Auto Scroll was enabled.

This page has Auto Scroll on all text boxes.
http://www.aerialsandtv.com/atvmaps.html
All the others (including this as an example) doesn`t
http://www.aerialsandtv.com/ampsandsplitters.html

Well it doesn`t print out in Firefox either way anyway !
So what am I losing by enabling auto scroll on all text boxes ?
Which begs the question, why isn`t Auto Scroll the default setting ?
Old 13th December 2011, 11:30 AM   #7
Tom.
Guru

Tom. is a splendid one to beholdTom. is a splendid one to beholdTom. is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerialsandtv.com View Post
Which begs the question, why isn`t Auto Scroll the default setting ?
No idea, but set them yourself by right clicking the text frame, Text Format > Overflowing text > Overflow. Right click again, Format > Update Object Default. Tools > Save Default Settings > Object Styles. If you should need to reset the program, then you will have to run this process again.

As for printing your pages, I suggest offering the ability to print easily in all browsers and the option to remove images from the printed page to save on expensive ink. Using CleanPrint offers the choice to remove either all images, or just those selected.

http://www.formatdynamics.com/diypub/

Example site :- http://itineris.webplus.net/cleanprint
Old 13th December 2011, 11:52 AM   #8
aerialsandtv.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomR View Post
No idea, but set them yourself by right clicking the text frame, Text Format > Overflowing text > Overflow. Right click again, Format > Update Object Default. Tools > Save Default Settings > Object Styles. If you should need to reset the program, then you will have to run this process again.

As for printing your pages, I suggest offering the ability to print easily in all browsers and the option to remove images from the printed page to save on expensive ink. Using CleanPrint offers the choice to remove either all images, or just those selected.

http://www.formatdynamics.com/diypub/

Example site :- http://itineris.webplus.net/cleanprint
Is it possible to set Auto Scroll as the default for all text boxes added from now on ? If not, quite apart from all the existing text boxes I`ll have to manually change, it means I`ll have to remember to select Auto Scroll for all future ones ! The problem being my brain is going downhill every year, I can`t remember all this stuff !
Old 13th December 2011, 11:56 AM   #9
Tom.
Guru

Tom. is a splendid one to beholdTom. is a splendid one to beholdTom. is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Is it possible to set Auto Scroll as the default for all text boxes added from now on ? If not, quite apart from all the existing text boxes I`ll have to manually change, it means I`ll have to remember to select Auto Scroll for all future ones ! The problem being my brain is going downhill every year, I can`t remember all this stuff !
I think you'll have to do existing text frames manually. All new HTML text frames added by setting the default appear as 'Overflow'.
Old 13th December 2011, 12:02 PM   #10
mjh
The one and only mjh

mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

Quote:

Another method is to style the HTML text frame with autoscroll and keep a copy of it on the pasteboard as well as in The Gallery.

To use, just copy from the pasteboard and paste onto the page or drag from The Gallery onto the page.

I leave some text in the text frame so I know why it is there, like "This is an HTML text frame set to autoscroll."
Old 13th December 2011, 04:42 PM   #11
aerialsandtv.com

Quote:
If resetting the programme means you`ve lost everything and have to start again, I`d have topped myself long before I even start thinking about Auto Scroll default reset !
Luckily I`ve got my site backed up all over the place, literally.
Old 13th December 2011, 04:47 PM   #12
Tom.
Guru

Quote:
If resetting the programme means you`ve lost everything and have to start again, I`d have topped myself long before I even start thinking about Auto Scroll default reset !
Luckily I`ve got my site backed up all over the place, literally.
You'd lose customisations to the program, not everything else.
Old 29th December 2011, 02:22 PM   #13
aerialsandtv.com

Quote:
No idea, but set them yourself by right clicking the text frame, Text Format > Overflowing text > Overflow.
Right click again, Format > Update Object Default.
Now Tools > Save Default Settings > Object Styles. If you should need to reset the program, then you will have to run this process again.
I did as you suggest and Overflow text with Auto Scroll bar is now the default for new text boxes I add to my site. Thanks for that helpful advice
I`ve only reset text boxes to Auto Scroll on one page so far because it`s quite a big job. This is particularly the case as I always used to use "Return" when I wanted the text to start a new line and/or print out as I meant it to. However I`ve now realised that`s not really possible, so unless it`s important for the meaning of the passage I`ve removed all the "Return" text breaks so most of the text flows down the text box. I feel this is particularly important if Auto Scroll is to be used with Google translate, the latter almost always adding lines to the original text, sometime quite a few !
Anyway, this is the first of the major pages to be redrafted with Auto Scroll :
http://www.aerialsandtv.com/ampsandsplitters.html