Go Back   Serif Software Forums > Design and Publishing > WebPlus

Notices

WebPlus Questions about using WebPlus for website design

Old 27th September 2010, 08:49 PM   #1
vskc-Mac

vskc-Mac is on a distinguished road
Question publishing webplus instead of frontpage

Hi,
I have a website produced using MSFrontpage but it didn't work on all computers so I purchased Serif WebPlus x4 to re-make the website. Can anyone tell me how to upload the webplus site to replace the frontpage one? Do I have to delete the original site or can I just upload the new one?
Old 27th September 2010, 08:52 PM   #2
mjh
The one and only mjh

mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)
Default Re: publishing webplus instead of frontpage

Hi and welcome to the Serif forums.

Use WebPlus' ftp and set up Account Details, being mindful of entering the correct folder name in the folder field as specified by your host. Then, tick the option to delete unused file as you are uploading and WebPlus will take care of it for you.
Old 27th September 2010, 08:53 PM   #3
Dond
Expert

Dond is well on the road to greatness

Hi

If I was you I would delete the old site completely before uploading the WP site.
Old 27th September 2010, 08:55 PM   #4
mjh
The one and only mjh

mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dond View Post
Hi

If I was you I would delete the old site completely before uploading the WP site.
In order to do that, go to File > Publish Site > Maintain Site > find the correct folder with your current site and CAREFULLY select the files and delete them.
Old 27th September 2010, 08:56 PM   #5
vskc-Mac

Thanks MJH I'll give that a try.
Old 27th September 2010, 09:17 PM   #6
Jim B.
Master

Jim B. will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by vskc-Mac View Post
I have a website produced using MSFrontpage but it didn't work on all computers
FrontPage is/was closely tied to Internet Explorer. Micro$oft added some features to FrontPage that would work only with IE. A lot of computers don't have IE.

Quote:
so I purchased Serif WebPlus x4 to re-make the website.
Good decision!

Quote:
Can anyone tell me how to upload the webplus site
WebPlus uses "publish to web" to convert your WebPlus project (the .wpp file) into a actual set of web pages, then FTP upload the pages and other files to your web host. WebPlus automatically constructs the proper hyperlinks to the appropriate files, and automatically puts everything into the appropriate folders. Using WebPlus' uploader is the best way to upload your site.

Quote:
to replace the frontpage one? Do I have to delete the original site
No, you do not have to delete the original site, but it is probably a good idea. If any of your original web site has/had files with the same file name as the WebPlus files, then the newer WebPlus files will overwrite/delete your existing FrontPage files of the same name, which means that your FrontPage site will be "broken".

Note that if your original site has been online for more than just a short time, then chances are good that the search engines have indexed your site's pages, and your site visitors might have added some of your pages to their favorites/bookmarks. Those links and bookmarks all point to pages in your old site. If you have first removed your old site then all those links will now point to a nonexistant page, and your visitors will get a 404 not found error.

Either set up a redirect on your web host, or make sure that your new WebPlus pages have the same file name and are located in the same directory/folder on your web host.

Quote:
or can I just upload the new one?
Yeah, you can do that, too.

Picture taking. It's a snap!

Good photography. It's complicated.
Old 16th October 2010, 08:58 PM   #7
vskc-Mac

Hi I have published my websit using X4 and it seemed to do everything loading all files etc. But my old Frontpage web site is still the one that opens on IE. Can anyone tell me how to delete the frontpage site from the web?

Thanks
Old 16th October 2010, 09:00 PM   #8
mjh
The one and only mjh

Quote:
Hi I have published my websit using X4 and it seemed to do everything loading all files etc. But my old Frontpage web site is still the one that opens on IE. Can anyone tell me how to delete the frontpage site from the web?

Thanks
Hi

I suspect you uploaded into the wrong folder on your host. Go to the Account Details dialog and double check the entry into the folder field.
Old 16th October 2010, 09:22 PM   #9
Jim B.
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh View Post
I suspect you uploaded into the wrong folder on your host. Go to the Account Details dialog and double check the entry into the folder field.
Another possibility is that the WebPlus site uses index.html and the FP site uses index.htm (no L) and the web server is set to look for and serve an index.htm (no L) page before looking for and serving an index.html page.

Maybe.

Old 16th October 2010, 09:29 PM   #10
mjh
The one and only mjh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim B. View Post
Another possibility is that the WebPlus site uses index.html and the FP site uses index.htm (no L) and the web server is set to look for and serve an index.htm (no L) page before looking for and serving an index.html page.

Maybe.

Earlier in this thread, he was given a method to delete the old site from the host.
Old 16th October 2010, 10:00 PM   #11
Jim B.
Master

Quote:
But my old Frontpage web site is still the one that opens on IE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh View Post
Earlier in this thread, he was given a method to delete the old site from the host.
Well, if the old FP site still opens, then maybe he didn't delete the old site?

Or maybe he is seeing the old site from IE's cache memory?

Old 16th October 2010, 10:03 PM   #12
Jim B.
Master

Quote:
But my old Frontpage web site is still the one that opens on IE.
When you use some web browser other than IE (such as Firefox or Opera or Safari) what do you get:
  • your old site
  • your new site
  • arrested by the web site police
  • other

Old 18th October 2010, 05:18 AM   #13
t8xt

t8xt is on a distinguished road

Hi vskc-Mac,

Great to see your trying WebPlus! Sometimes Frontpage would name the first page in the website home.html, WebPlus uses index.html by default for the first page in your website that people will see first when they go to your website.

Check your website directory using the above method for maintaining your website as described by "MJH" and delete any files you see that look like these then upload your website again.

home.htm
home.html
index.htm
index.php

Another thing to consider is the directory the site is being published to. On occasion you may need to specify the path to your public_html directory where the website is housed, this will look something like this in your WebPlus ftp settings, this setting also depends how your web hosting service is set up, the directory could also be named htdocs or something similar.

Folder: public_html/

Also when you go to your website try pressing Ctrl + r to reload the cache in the browser, you may have to do this a couple times to get a complete refresh. If the browser is stubborn you can delete the cache manually, the settings to do this cache clearing is found under the Tools > Internet Options in Internet Explorer and Tools > Options in Firefox, you'll be looking for the button to delete browser history.

Cheers
Old 9th August 2011, 02:34 AM   #14
icatkh

icatkh is on a distinguished road

Need Help! Yahoo has informed me that they will no longer support Front page. My web site is written in FP, How can I convert my whole site to WEBX4 and keep its look and listing with the search engines. I only have till Sept 12 to do this.
Old 9th August 2011, 02:47 AM   #15
mjh
The one and only mjh

Quote:
Originally Posted by icatkh View Post
Need Help! Yahoo has informed me that they will no longer support Front page. My web site is written in FP, How can I convert my whole site to WEBX4 and keep its look and listing with the search engines. I only have till Sept 12 to do this.

Hi

How about a link to the existing site?

Are you really wed to yahoo as a host? If so, why?

To keeps it's search engines rankings, maintain the same HTML filenames.
Old 9th August 2011, 03:05 AM   #16
Jim B.
Master

Quote:
You can "open/import" your web site into WebPlus, with some degree of success. WebPlus will try to read all the pages, examine the content, then create new pages with that content in that page layout and with that navigation system, etc. But you will probably have to do some cleanup work to make the imported site look like your current site.

And, to keep your Google search results and links, your site visitor's favorites/bookmarks, and all links from other web sites, you will have to make sure that you make the pages' file name in WebPlus the same name as your current site, and you will have to recreate the current folder names and structure, with each file in the appropriate folder.

Old 9th August 2011, 03:41 AM   #17
icatkh

Sounds like i have a lot of work to do. Yes I am using Yahoo to host my site, it was easy and handy when I needed it. If I understand this information right I will need to save my original site somewhere (on external HD) so I can be sure to match up files and names to keep things working on line with the search engines. I am going to try to import the whole site to WEB X 4
Old 9th August 2011, 03:44 AM   #18
icatkh

http://icatkch.com
Old 9th August 2011, 04:11 AM   #19
mjh
The one and only mjh

Quote:
Sounds like i have a lot of work to do. Yes I am using Yahoo to host my site, it was easy and handy when I needed it. If I understand this information right I will need to save my original site somewhere (on external HD) so I can be sure to match up files and names to keep things working on line with the search engines. I am going to try to import the whole site to WEB X 4

I would useFile > Publish Site > Maintain Site to access the host and download all the FrontPage files into a separate folder on your computer as well as importing it into WebPlus X4.

This might be a good time of considering a site design makeover, perhaps using one of the templates.
Old 9th August 2011, 04:22 AM   #20
icatkh

If I redesign how do i keep the search engine listing? Just name each redone page with the same name?