Go Back   Serif Software Forums > Photos and Movies > PhotoPlus

Notices

PhotoPlus Questions about using PhotoPlus for photo editing

Old 16th September 2010, 10:57 PM   #1
Andy123

Andy123 is on a distinguished road
Default Saving A TIF File With Transparent Background.

I have a Tif file, that I need to change the colour of. It was created in Photoshop (by someone else), and I now want to save it from PhotoPlus. The image already has a transparent background, but when I try and save it as Tif file it has a white background.

What am I doing wrong?
Old 16th September 2010, 11:09 PM   #2
Jim B.
Master

Jim B. will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Saving A TIF File With Transparent Background.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy123 View Post
I have a Tif file, that I need to change the colour of. It was created in Photoshop (by someone else), and I now want to save it from PhotoPlus. The image already has a transparent background, but when I try and save it as Tif file it has a white background.
Maybe the image has a transparent background, but is not obvious until the image is placed on top of something that is not white.

Picture taking. It's a snap!

Good photography. It's complicated.
Old 16th September 2010, 11:12 PM   #3
vshears
Advanced Member

vshears is on a distinguished road

Hi Andy
I am no expert but I think that you should export and select TIF instead of saving.

Also click on optimise and check transparency is ticked.
Old 16th September 2010, 11:15 PM   #4
Andy123

Hi Jim,

I have tried importing it to WebPlus, and the background is white.

Vshears,

I have expoted as TIF, but made no difference. I notice the 'transparent' box is greyed out too.

I will look at it again in the morning. I'm tired and could be doing something very stupid.
Old 17th September 2010, 12:00 AM   #5
Greyfox
Expert

Greyfox is well on the road to greatness

Quote:

What am I doing wrong?
Andy,
If the file was genuinely saved as a Tif file in Photoshop with transparency selected, when opened in PhotoPlusX4 it should show as being on Layer 1.

If it was produced in PhotoShop with a transparent background, but transparency was not selected in the save as TIF process, then the file you have been given will not have a transparent background, and will open in PhotoPlusX4 as the background layer.
Intel Core i7-2600 3.4GHz, 8GB Ram, GeForce GTX-560 (1GB), Windows 7 Pro 64 bit with VM XP-Mode. Canon 8400F scanner, Brother HL-2270DW Mono Laser, Brother MFC-J825DW Multifunction, Sony SLT-A57 and Canon IXUS-110IS cameras, Sony DCR-HC96E Video Camera. PagePlus 9,X4,X5,X6,X7, MoviePlus X3,X5,X6 PhotoPlus X3,X4,X5,X6 DrawPlus X4,X5,X6
Old 17th September 2010, 10:15 AM   #6
Andy123

It doesn't show as a different payer in PhotoPlus, there is just a 'background' layer. However, when I put the file into Illustrator the image does have a transparent background (when added to the business card, which is black).

I will ask the person who did it to save it again. I have tried to change the background in PhotoPlus, but keep failing.

I was going to get 4 files.:

300dpi Tif
72dpi Tif
300dpi PNG
72dpi PNG

I think this would cover both website and print documents for either high quality (print) or lower quality (website). Would this be correct?

Thanks for your help.
Old 17th September 2010, 11:06 AM   #7
MikeR

MikeR is a glorious beacon of lightMikeR is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by vshears View Post
Hi Andy
I am no expert but I think that you should export and select TIF instead of saving.

Also click on optimise and check transparency is ticked.
You need to select 24 bit to get transparency.

Medion MD8833 with Intel Q6600 + 3GB. Win 7 64 Ultimate SP1.

Old 17th September 2010, 11:37 AM   #8
RichardS
Master

RichardS has a brilliant futureRichardS has a brilliant futureRichardS has a brilliant futureRichardS has a brilliant future

Quote:
It doesn't show as a different payer in PhotoPlus, there is just a 'background' layer. However, when I put the file into Illustrator the image does have a transparent background (when added to the business card, which is black).

I will ask the person who did it to save it again. I have tried to change the background in PhotoPlus, but keep failing.

I was going to get 4 files.:

300dpi Tif
72dpi Tif
300dpi PNG
72dpi PNG

I think this would cover both website and print documents for either high quality (print) or lower quality (website). Would this be correct?

Thanks for your help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeR View Post
You need to select 24 bit to get transparency.
If TIF format gives problems, try exporting it as a PNG: Either 24-bit/channel with transparency, or 32-bit/channel.

As others have suggested, try using "promote to layer" to move the image off the background layer.
Old 17th September 2010, 01:44 PM   #9
Greyfox
Expert

Quote:
It doesn't show as a different payer in PhotoPlus, there is just a 'background' layer.
As I said in my previous post, this suggests that even though the item had a transparent background in Photoship, the option to "save transparency" was not selected when the file was saved from PhotoShop a .tif file.

If you want to remove the background in PhotoPlusX4 you need to first promote the background layer to a normal layer and then after removing the background use the export optimiser in Photoplus to export it.

If you are exporting as a TIF file from PhotoPlusX3 or X4 you will need to select 32 bit RGB to allow the transparent box to be ticked. As has been pointed out, you could also save as 24 bit PNG with the transparent box ticked or GIF with the transparent box ticked.
Intel Core i7-2600 3.4GHz, 8GB Ram, GeForce GTX-560 (1GB), Windows 7 Pro 64 bit with VM XP-Mode. Canon 8400F scanner, Brother HL-2270DW Mono Laser, Brother MFC-J825DW Multifunction, Sony SLT-A57 and Canon IXUS-110IS cameras, Sony DCR-HC96E Video Camera. PagePlus 9,X4,X5,X6,X7, MoviePlus X3,X5,X6 PhotoPlus X3,X4,X5,X6 DrawPlus X4,X5,X6
Old 17th September 2010, 02:03 PM   #10
Andy123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
As I said in my previous post, this suggests that even though the item had a transparent background in Photoship, the option to "save transparency" was not selected when the file was saved from PhotoShop a .tif file.

If you want to remove the background in PhotoPlusX4 you need to first promote the background layer to a normal layer and then after removing the background use the export optimiser in Photoplus to export it.

If you are exporting as a TIF file from PhotoPlusX3 or X4 you will need to select 32 bit RGB to allow the transparent box to be ticked. As has been pointed out, you could also save as 24 bit PNG with the transparent box ticked or GIF with the transparent box ticked.
I promoted the layer to a normal layer
Deleted the background (the background within PhotoPlus then appears 'checked'
Export Optimiser - 32bit and selected 'Transparent'
Saved.

I then Placed the file within Illustrator onto my black business card and had a logo on a white background.

The image needs to be a TIF (according to the printers). PNG does work though, but haven't had problems with that format before.
Old 17th September 2010, 02:45 PM   #11
Greyfox
Expert

Quote:
I promoted the layer to a normal layer
Deleted the background (the background within PhotoPlus then appears 'checked'
Export Optimiser - 32bit and selected 'Transparent'
Saved.

I then Placed the file within Illustrator onto my black business card and had a logo on a white background.
Andy
Well, now that is interesting. I have just done that exercise in both PhotoPlusX3 and X4 and you are correct.

Whilst the resulting TIF file opens in PhotoPlus with a transparent background, it is not transparent when opened in Photoshop, nor is it transparent when it is opened in Irfan view. It is however transparent when opened in Windows Picture and Fax Viewer.

Photoshop does provide a warning when saving as a transparent TIF that not all programs can handle transparent TIF files. I would suggest you use PNG.
Old 17th September 2010, 03:19 PM   #12
Andy123

I would use PNG, but the printers are insisting on TIF.

I will get someone to change it in Photoshop, then I can put it into Illustrator. I should be able to do it in illustrator myself, but cant work out how.
Old 17th September 2010, 06:16 PM   #13
RichardS
Master

RichardS has a brilliant futureRichardS has a brilliant futureRichardS has a brilliant futureRichardS has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
Andy
Well, now that is interesting. I have just done that exercise in both PhotoPlusX3 and X4 and you are correct.

Whilst the resulting TIF file opens in PhotoPlus with a transparent background, it is not transparent when opened in Photoshop, nor is it transparent when it is opened in Irfan view. It is however transparent when opened in Windows Picture and Fax Viewer.

Photoshop does provide a warning when saving as a transparent TIF that not all programs can handle transparent TIF files. I would suggest you use PNG.
As far as I remember there are (at least) two different "standards" for defining "transparency" in TIF files: Irfanview uses the same "standard" as Photoshop; Photoplus uses the "proper standard."
Old 17th September 2010, 11:48 PM   #14
Greyfox
Expert

Quote:
I would use PNG, but the printers are insisting on TIF.

I will get someone to change it in Photoshop, then I can put it into Illustrator. I should be able to do it in illustrator myself, but cant work out how.
Can you not export it from PhotoPlus as PNG. Insert it in Illustrator and output from Illustrator as TIF?