Go Back   Serif Software Forums > Photos and Movies > PhotoPlus

Notices

PhotoPlus Questions about using PhotoPlus for photo editing

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th September 2010, 10:57 PM   #1
Andy123
Regular Member
 
Andy123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 328
Andy123 is on a distinguished road
Default Saving A TIF File With Transparent Background.

I have a Tif file, that I need to change the colour of. It was created in Photoshop (by someone else), and I now want to save it from PhotoPlus. The image already has a transparent background, but when I try and save it as Tif file it has a white background.

What am I doing wrong?
Andy123 is offline  
Old 16th September 2010, 11:09 PM   #2
Jim B.
Master
 
Jim B.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 10,709
Jim B. will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Saving A TIF File With Transparent Background.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy123 View Post
I have a Tif file, that I need to change the colour of. It was created in Photoshop (by someone else), and I now want to save it from PhotoPlus. The image already has a transparent background, but when I try and save it as Tif file it has a white background.
Maybe the image has a transparent background, but is not obvious until the image is placed on top of something that is not white.
__________________
Jim B. :> )

Picture taking. It's a snap!

Good photography. It's complicated.
Jim B. is offline  
Old 16th September 2010, 11:12 PM   #3
vshears
Advanced Member
 
vshears's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Brading, Isle of Wight
Posts: 864
vshears is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Saving A TIF File With Transparent Background.

Hi Andy
I am no expert but I think that you should export and select TIF instead of saving.

Also click on optimise and check transparency is ticked.
__________________
Vic
vshears is offline  
Old 16th September 2010, 11:15 PM   #4
Andy123
Regular Member
 
Andy123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 328
Andy123 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Saving A TIF File With Transparent Background.

Hi Jim,

I have tried importing it to WebPlus, and the background is white.

Vshears,

I have expoted as TIF, but made no difference. I notice the 'transparent' box is greyed out too.

I will look at it again in the morning. I'm tired and could be doing something very stupid.
Andy123 is offline  
Old 17th September 2010, 12:00 AM   #5
Greyfox
Expert
 
Greyfox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: South Australia
Posts: 5,690
Greyfox is well on the road to greatness
Default Re: Saving A TIF File With Transparent Background.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy123 View Post
I have a Tif file, that I need to change the colour of. It was created in Photoshop (by someone else), and I now want to save it from PhotoPlus. The image already has a transparent background, but when I try and save it as Tif file it has a white background.

What am I doing wrong?
Andy,
If the file was genuinely saved as a Tif file in Photoshop with transparency selected, when opened in PhotoPlusX4 it should show as being on Layer 1.

If it was produced in PhotoShop with a transparent background, but transparency was not selected in the save as TIF process, then the file you have been given will not have a transparent background, and will open in PhotoPlusX4 as the background layer.
__________________
Ian M.
Intel Core i7-2600 3.4GHz, 8GB Ram, GeForce GTX-560 (1GB), Windows 7 Pro 64 bit with VM XP-Mode. Canon 8400F scanner, Brother HL-2270DW Mono Laser, Brother MFC-J825DW Multifunction, Sony SLT-A57 and Canon IXUS-110IS cameras, Sony DCR-HC96E Video Camera. PagePlus 9,X4,X5,X6,X7, MoviePlus X3,X5,X6 PhotoPlus X3,X4,X5,X6 DrawPlus X4,X5,X6
Greyfox is offline  
Old 17th September 2010, 10:15 AM   #6
Andy123
Regular Member
 
Andy123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 328
Andy123 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Saving A TIF File With Transparent Background.

It doesn't show as a different payer in PhotoPlus, there is just a 'background' layer. However, when I put the file into Illustrator the image does have a transparent background (when added to the business card, which is black).

I will ask the person who did it to save it again. I have tried to change the background in PhotoPlus, but keep failing.

I was going to get 4 files.:

300dpi Tif
72dpi Tif
300dpi PNG
72dpi PNG

I think this would cover both website and print documents for either high quality (print) or lower quality (website). Would this be correct?

Thanks for your help.
Andy123 is offline  
Old 17th September 2010, 11:06 AM   #7
MikeR
Senior Member
 
MikeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,786
MikeR is a glorious beacon of lightMikeR is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Saving A TIF File With Transparent Background.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vshears View Post
Hi Andy
I am no expert but I think that you should export and select TIF instead of saving.

Also click on optimise and check transparency is ticked.
You need to select 24 bit to get transparency.
__________________
Mike

Medion MD8833 with Intel Q6600 + 3GB. Win 7 64 Ultimate SP1.

MikeR is offline  
Old 17th September 2010, 11:37 AM   #8
RichardS
Master
 
RichardS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Nr Hitchin, UK
Posts: 19,748
RichardS has a brilliant futureRichardS has a brilliant futureRichardS has a brilliant futureRichardS has a brilliant future
Default Re: Saving A TIF File With Transparent Background.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy123 View Post
It doesn't show as a different payer in PhotoPlus, there is just a 'background' layer. However, when I put the file into Illustrator the image does have a transparent background (when added to the business card, which is black).

I will ask the person who did it to save it again. I have tried to change the background in PhotoPlus, but keep failing.

I was going to get 4 files.:

300dpi Tif
72dpi Tif
300dpi PNG
72dpi PNG

I think this would cover both website and print documents for either high quality (print) or lower quality (website). Would this be correct?

Thanks for your help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeR View Post
You need to select 24 bit to get transparency.
If TIF format gives problems, try exporting it as a PNG: Either 24-bit/channel with transparency, or 32-bit/channel.

As others have suggested, try using "promote to layer" to move the image off the background layer.
__________________
64-bit Win8.1.2 Pro, 8GB RAM, i5-2320, HD2000 Graphics.
32-bit Win8.1.2 Pro, AMD64 3200+, 2GB RAM, 256MB ATI Radeon 200 Graphics.
32-bit WinXP Home, AMD64 3200+, 2GB RAM, 256MB ATI Radeon 200 Graphics.
RichardS is offline  
Old 17th September 2010, 01:44 PM   #9
Greyfox
Expert
 
Greyfox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: South Australia
Posts: 5,690
Greyfox is well on the road to greatness
Default Re: Saving A TIF File With Transparent Background.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy123 View Post
It doesn't show as a different payer in PhotoPlus, there is just a 'background' layer.
As I said in my previous post, this suggests that even though the item had a transparent background in Photoship, the option to "save transparency" was not selected when the file was saved from PhotoShop a .tif file.

If you want to remove the background in PhotoPlusX4 you need to first promote the background layer to a normal layer and then after removing the background use the export optimiser in Photoplus to export it.

If you are exporting as a TIF file from PhotoPlusX3 or X4 you will need to select 32 bit RGB to allow the transparent box to be ticked. As has been pointed out, you could also save as 24 bit PNG with the transparent box ticked or GIF with the transparent box ticked.
__________________
Ian M.
Intel Core i7-2600 3.4GHz, 8GB Ram, GeForce GTX-560 (1GB), Windows 7 Pro 64 bit with VM XP-Mode. Canon 8400F scanner, Brother HL-2270DW Mono Laser, Brother MFC-J825DW Multifunction, Sony SLT-A57 and Canon IXUS-110IS cameras, Sony DCR-HC96E Video Camera. PagePlus 9,X4,X5,X6,X7, MoviePlus X3,X5,X6 PhotoPlus X3,X4,X5,X6 DrawPlus X4,X5,X6
Greyfox is offline  
Old 17th September 2010, 02:03 PM   #10
Andy123
Regular Member
 
Andy123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 328
Andy123 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Saving A TIF File With Transparent Background.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
As I said in my previous post, this suggests that even though the item had a transparent background in Photoship, the option to "save transparency" was not selected when the file was saved from PhotoShop a .tif file.

If you want to remove the background in PhotoPlusX4 you need to first promote the background layer to a normal layer and then after removing the background use the export optimiser in Photoplus to export it.

If you are exporting as a TIF file from PhotoPlusX3 or X4 you will need to select 32 bit RGB to allow the transparent box to be ticked. As has been pointed out, you could also save as 24 bit PNG with the transparent box ticked or GIF with the transparent box ticked.
I promoted the layer to a normal layer
Deleted the background (the background within PhotoPlus then appears 'checked'
Export Optimiser - 32bit and selected 'Transparent'
Saved.

I then Placed the file within Illustrator onto my black business card and had a logo on a white background.

The image needs to be a TIF (according to the printers). PNG does work though, but haven't had problems with that format before.
Andy123 is offline  
Old 17th September 2010, 02:45 PM   #11
Greyfox
Expert
 
Greyfox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: South Australia
Posts: 5,690
Greyfox is well on the road to greatness
Default Re: Saving A TIF File With Transparent Background.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy123 View Post
I promoted the layer to a normal layer
Deleted the background (the background within PhotoPlus then appears 'checked'
Export Optimiser - 32bit and selected 'Transparent'
Saved.

I then Placed the file within Illustrator onto my black business card and had a logo on a white background.
Andy
Well, now that is interesting. I have just done that exercise in both PhotoPlusX3 and X4 and you are correct.

Whilst the resulting TIF file opens in PhotoPlus with a transparent background, it is not transparent when opened in Photoshop, nor is it transparent when it is opened in Irfan view. It is however transparent when opened in Windows Picture and Fax Viewer.

Photoshop does provide a warning when saving as a transparent TIF that not all programs can handle transparent TIF files. I would suggest you use PNG.
__________________
Ian M.
Intel Core i7-2600 3.4GHz, 8GB Ram, GeForce GTX-560 (1GB), Windows 7 Pro 64 bit with VM XP-Mode. Canon 8400F scanner, Brother HL-2270DW Mono Laser, Brother MFC-J825DW Multifunction, Sony SLT-A57 and Canon IXUS-110IS cameras, Sony DCR-HC96E Video Camera. PagePlus 9,X4,X5,X6,X7, MoviePlus X3,X5,X6 PhotoPlus X3,X4,X5,X6 DrawPlus X4,X5,X6
Greyfox is offline  
Old 17th September 2010, 03:19 PM   #12
Andy123
Regular Member
 
Andy123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 328
Andy123 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Saving A TIF File With Transparent Background.

I would use PNG, but the printers are insisting on TIF.

I will get someone to change it in Photoshop, then I can put it into Illustrator. I should be able to do it in illustrator myself, but cant work out how.
Andy123 is offline  
Old 17th September 2010, 06:16 PM   #13
RichardS
Master
 
RichardS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Nr Hitchin, UK
Posts: 19,748
RichardS has a brilliant futureRichardS has a brilliant futureRichardS has a brilliant futureRichardS has a brilliant future
Default Re: Saving A TIF File With Transparent Background.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
Andy
Well, now that is interesting. I have just done that exercise in both PhotoPlusX3 and X4 and you are correct.

Whilst the resulting TIF file opens in PhotoPlus with a transparent background, it is not transparent when opened in Photoshop, nor is it transparent when it is opened in Irfan view. It is however transparent when opened in Windows Picture and Fax Viewer.

Photoshop does provide a warning when saving as a transparent TIF that not all programs can handle transparent TIF files. I would suggest you use PNG.
As far as I remember there are (at least) two different "standards" for defining "transparency" in TIF files: Irfanview uses the same "standard" as Photoshop; Photoplus uses the "proper standard."
__________________
64-bit Win8.1.2 Pro, 8GB RAM, i5-2320, HD2000 Graphics.
32-bit Win8.1.2 Pro, AMD64 3200+, 2GB RAM, 256MB ATI Radeon 200 Graphics.
32-bit WinXP Home, AMD64 3200+, 2GB RAM, 256MB ATI Radeon 200 Graphics.
RichardS is offline  
Old 17th September 2010, 11:48 PM   #14
Greyfox
Expert
 
Greyfox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: South Australia
Posts: 5,690
Greyfox is well on the road to greatness
Default Re: Saving A TIF File With Transparent Background.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy123 View Post
I would use PNG, but the printers are insisting on TIF.

I will get someone to change it in Photoshop, then I can put it into Illustrator. I should be able to do it in illustrator myself, but cant work out how.
Can you not export it from PhotoPlus as PNG. Insert it in Illustrator and output from Illustrator as TIF?
__________________
Ian M.
Intel Core i7-2600 3.4GHz, 8GB Ram, GeForce GTX-560 (1GB), Windows 7 Pro 64 bit with VM XP-Mode. Canon 8400F scanner, Brother HL-2270DW Mono Laser, Brother MFC-J825DW Multifunction, Sony SLT-A57 and Canon IXUS-110IS cameras, Sony DCR-HC96E Video Camera. PagePlus 9,X4,X5,X6,X7, MoviePlus X3,X5,X6 PhotoPlus X3,X4,X5,X6 DrawPlus X4,X5,X6
Greyfox is offline  
 

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Transparent background? Willabong PhotoPlus 2 7th October 2008 12:34 AM
Transparent Background Marilyn PhotoPlus 6 11th March 2005 07:54 PM
Transparent Background? BluThundur PhotoPlus 3 11th May 2004 07:16 AM
transparent background in 5.5 Cathy Clark PhotoPlus 2 1st April 2003 09:35 PM
Saving opaque image-transparent background Susan Faber PhotoPlus 3 13th September 2002 07:01 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:45 PM.