Go Back   Serif Software Forums > Design and Publishing > WebPlus

Notices

WebPlus Questions about using WebPlus for website design

Old 17th August 2010, 12:17 PM   #1
David Horne

David Horne is on a distinguished road
Default Google Maps

Just inserted some Google maps to http://www.nudecornwall.co.uk/ and they were working fine on preview and live when I first loaded them. Now a few hours later I note that they are not always loading. Sometimes they load but more often than not I'm just left with a blank space with "loading..." appearing on the top left hand corner. If I hit the reload button several times I sometimes get them to load, but it all seams a bit hit and miss.

Is there a reliability problem with these? I've probably visited thousands of sites with Google maps on them and can't remember ever having a problem like this.
Old 17th August 2010, 12:31 PM   #2
Chris9

Chris9 is a jewel in the roughChris9 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Google Maps

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Horne View Post
Just inserted some Google maps to http://www.nudecornwall.co.uk/ and they were working fine on preview and live when I first loaded them. Now a few hours later I note that they are not always loading. Sometimes they load but more often than not I'm just left with a blank space with "loading..." appearing on the top left hand corner. If I hit the reload button several times I sometimes get them to load, but it all seams a bit hit and miss.

Is there a reliability problem with these? I've probably visited thousands of sites with Google maps on them and can't remember ever having a problem like this.
I suspect if you don't sign up for the key, the map is being provided via serif web resourses. No doubt, someone will correct me on that!

Anyway, I sign up for the key, (at the bottom of the dialog box), and never get a problem. At the sign up page it's under Maps JavaScript API. I've been using version 2, but I see they have upgraded it to v3 and I can't see where the key is there.

If you find it on v3 please let me know - otherwise use the key provided on v2.

Good luck.
Old 17th August 2010, 12:33 PM   #3
Mick
Expert

Mick has much to be proud ofMick has much to be proud ofMick has much to be proud of

Quote:

Hi David,

Just looked at your google map and indeed, there is just a grey box there saying loading and after waiting for 2 or 3 minutes, nothing is showing.

According to the source code your using the SWR insertion for the google map, try and insert one yourself using the googlemaps website and create yourself an API key, I think this will be much reliable and if you check DonD's website in my signature, I'm sure he has a good tutorial on there to help you implement it correctly.
Old 17th August 2010, 12:47 PM   #4
David Horne

Quote:
According to the source code your using the SWR insertion for the google map
Yes I am and when trying to edit a map I'm getting the message
Quote:
WebPlus was unable to communicate with Serif Web Resources and Google Maps. Please check your Internet connection settings to ensure you are connected correctly then try again.
So by sounds of things SWR is down, or experiencing intermittent problems. Will start again this time using an API key. I can see the advantage of eliminating one level of connection.

By the way when using SWR in the past (for page password protection) I had to set up the connection with it before entering anything onto the website. Should I have done something here to make sure SWR is recognizing me? It seemed to be working so well earlier this morning, and so simple to insert, thought it was too good to be true.
Old 17th August 2010, 01:59 PM   #5
Chris9

Quote:
By the way when using SWR in the past (for page password protection) I had to set up the connection with it before entering anything onto the website. Should I have done something here to make sure SWR is recognizing me? It seemed to be working so well earlier this morning, and so simple to insert, thought it was too good to be true.
No, I don't think so. I used to use it before adding the key without having to do anything else.

Add the Key by using the dialog on the WPX4 Google Maps tool. That'll sort it out.
Old 17th August 2010, 02:35 PM   #6
David Horne

Quote:
Add the Key by using the dialog on the WPX4 Google Maps tool. That'll sort it out.
All done and working fine. I only had to add the key to one map and all the others appeared to update automatically. Coincidently the maps had started working again through SWR but as it seems unreliable I went for the API key as this obviously is the most direct connection.

Quote:
I've been using version 2, but I see they have upgraded it to v3 and I can't see where the key is there.
No I couldn't see how to get a key for V3 either so I'm using V2. Presumably at some stage in the future we'll have to upgrade.

Thank you all for your help.
Old 17th August 2010, 04:17 PM   #7
Archibald
Master

Archibald has a reputation approching nirvanaArchibald has a reputation approching nirvanaArchibald has a reputation approching nirvanaArchibald has a reputation approching nirvanaArchibald has a reputation approching nirvanaArchibald has a reputation approching nirvana

Quote:
No I couldn't see how to get a key for V3 either so I'm using V2. Presumably at some stage in the future we'll have to upgrade.
From this GoogleMapsAPI page:

Quote:
Note: This version of the Google Maps JavaScript API no longer needs API keys!
I am now using V3. Many sites will be using V1 and V2 and I don't see any reason why Google should withdraw their use so I expect them to continue for a long time . . . but I may be wrong!
Old 17th August 2010, 06:22 PM   #8
Chris9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archibald View Post
From this GoogleMapsAPI page:
Well that explains why I couldn't find it!

Quote:
I am now using V3. Many sites will be using V1 and V2 and I don't see any reason why Google should withdraw their use so I expect them to continue for a long time . . . but I may be wrong!
I'll have to continue with v2 for a while until I can find a bit of time to look at this properly.

Thanks for pointing it out.
Old 18th August 2010, 10:58 AM   #9
David Horne

Quote:
This version of the Google Maps JavaScript API no longer needs API keys!
I see that now but what I'm wondering is what to put in the "Google maps key" box when you select "Use Advanced Maps".

Whilst V2 is working perfectly now it does say
Quote:
Note: The Google Maps Javascript API Version 2 has been officially deprecated as of May 19, 2010. The V2 API will continue to work as per our deprecation policy, but we encourage you to migrate your code to version 3 of the Maps Javascript API.
which as far as I can gather means they will do their best to keep it available for three years.
Old 18th August 2010, 11:37 AM   #10
Archibald
Master

Archibald has a reputation approching nirvanaArchibald has a reputation approching nirvanaArchibald has a reputation approching nirvanaArchibald has a reputation approching nirvanaArchibald has a reputation approching nirvanaArchibald has a reputation approching nirvana

Quote:
I see that now but what I'm wondering is what to put in the "Google maps key" box when you select "Use Advanced Maps".
You can still get a key for V2 from this page.

Quote:
Whilst V2 is working perfectly now it does say
which as far as I can gather means they will do their best to keep it available for three years.
Hopefully WebPlusX5 will use V3 and not require a key.