Go Back   Serif Software Forums > Design and Publishing > WebPlus

Notices

WebPlus Questions about using WebPlus for website design

Old 5th August 2010, 03:38 AM   #1
bjenness

bjenness is on a distinguished road
Default How do you expand web pages for all browsers?

Is there something I am missing.. I know how to make pages a fixed size but how can we make the page extend to fill a page in any or the most common browsers? For example - the page expands to fill an 800x600 page or 1280 x720.
Old 5th August 2010, 03:41 AM   #2
Jim B.
Master

Jim B. will become famous soon enough
Default Re: How do you expand web pages for all browsers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjenness View Post
Is there something I am missing.. I know how to make pages a fixed size but how can we make the page extend to fill a page in any or the most common browsers? For example - the page expands to fill an 800x600 page or 1280 x720.
WebPlus does not create pages that automatically change width.

Instead, WebPlus creates pages at the exact with and height that you specify, so your pages will look virtually the same on any size of web browser window.

Picture taking. It's a snap!

Good photography. It's complicated.
Old 5th August 2010, 03:43 AM   #3
bjenness

bjenness is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim B. View Post
WebPlus does not create pages that automatically change width.

Instead, WebPlus creates pages at the exact with and height that you specify, so your pages will look virtually the same on any size of web browser window.
If this is the case - what would be the best size for current websites? I have done 798 width. BIGGER?
Old 5th August 2010, 04:00 AM   #4
Jim B.
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjenness View Post
If this is the case - what would be the best size for current websites? I have done 798 width. BIGGER?
I usually use 900 - 1000 which seems to be about "average" for a page width.

The "best" page width is whatever best supports or promotes the purpose of your page.

Old 6th August 2010, 09:18 AM   #5
Phr333k

Phr333k is on a distinguished road

Sorry Jim B, I am sure you know more about this stuff than me, but on my machine, if I test a set page size at a high resolution, it is very small on my screen. Then I switch to a lower res, and I have to scroll to get to it all.
I know Serif says it does not support dynamic page sizing, but isn't there a way of altering the HTML code to percent (%) sizing?
Old 6th August 2010, 09:22 AM   #6
Ali
Guru

Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phr333k View Post
Sorry Jim B, I am sure you know more about this stuff than me, but on my machine, if I test a set page size at a high resolution, it is very small on my screen. Then I switch to a lower res, and I have to scroll to get to it all.
I know Serif says it does not support dynamic page sizing, but isn't there a way of altering the HTML code to percent (%) sizing?
I think (not sure) that someone managed to mimic dynamic pages to an extent by tweaking the code and adding some external CSS. Of course, you can zoom in and out on ANY website using the zoom in a browser. What we usually advise WP users to do is design the page for the most common browser window resolution that their visitors are likely to have, and that their visitors will probably be happy to scroll up and down, but probably not from side to side.
WPX2-6 SITES: The Falcon Inn (X6) | Martin Sexton - Artist (X2) | Clover Greetings
(X6)
Old 6th August 2010, 09:40 AM   #7
Jim B.
Master

Quote:
Sorry Jim B,
Er... sorry about what?

Quote:
on my machine, if I test a set page size at a high resolution, it is very small on my screen. Then I switch to a lower res, and I have to scroll to get to it all.
That is absolutely normal for any monitor when you change the "resolution" setting of that monitor.

Regardless of the resolution setting of your monitor, your WebPlus page will always be displayed at the same width... in pixels. But the page width in inches (or cm) might be (very) different.

Suppose the viewable screen of your monitor is 18 inches wide, and suppose the screen setting is 1800 pixels wide. 1800 pixels divided by 18 inches is 100 pixels per inch. A web page that is 800 pixels wide will be displayed at about 8 inches wide.

Suppose you reduce the screen setting to 900 pixels wide, to simulate a smaller screen. 900 pixels divided by 18 inches is 50 pixels per inch. A web page that is 800 pixels wide will be displayed at about 16 inches wide.

Quote:
WebPlus is hard-coded to position every object in relation to the page's upper left corner. The only way you can change that is to either re-write (re-code) WebPlus, or publish your page/site to disk, then use an HTML or an ASCII/TXT editor to remove the absolute positioning, and add your relative positioning.

Last edited by Jim B.; 6th August 2010 at 10:09 AM. Reason: Fixd sum spilin airs.
Old 6th August 2010, 10:05 AM   #8
nfc212
Master

nfc212 has a reputation beyond reputenfc212 has a reputation beyond reputenfc212 has a reputation beyond reputenfc212 has a reputation beyond reputenfc212 has a reputation beyond repute

You could also try left aligning your page and putting a nice background image down the right hand side. This will appear to fill the screen a little more.

Take a look at a test example here, the video may not load in IE.

The Ferret - Using PHP & MySQL to create dynamic Web Plus sites
Sleeping tigers do not concern themselves over the opinions of sheep.
An Independent Forum for web design/development and all things creative.
Old 6th August 2010, 10:24 AM   #9
Phr333k

Phr333k is on a distinguished road

Thanks Ali and Jim B All useful info.
Old 6th August 2010, 10:38 AM   #10
mjh
The one and only mjh

mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfc212 View Post
You could also try left aligning your page and putting a nice background image down the right hand side. This will appear to fill the screen a little more.

Take a look at a test example here, the video may not load in IE.
My goodness, that music was loud. Took a while to figure out which tab it was coming from. Scared my dear cat, too.
Old 6th August 2010, 10:43 AM   #11
nfc212
Master

nfc212 has a reputation beyond reputenfc212 has a reputation beyond reputenfc212 has a reputation beyond reputenfc212 has a reputation beyond reputenfc212 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh View Post
My goodness, that music was loud. Took a while to figure out which tab it was coming from. Scared my dear cat, too.
Well it did say Extreme

What browser did you use? It works fine in everything except IE. That works fine in preview but when uploaded the .swf file will only load occasionally.

Old 6th August 2010, 10:46 AM   #12
mjh
The one and only mjh

mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

Quote:
Well it did say Extreme

What browser did you use? It works fine in everything except IE. That works fine in preview but when uploaded the .swf file will only load occasionally.
Chrome, Nigel

I wasn't expecting the sound. I had browsed through your tutorial and then went to youtube to find the Moody Blues only to have Extreme start on top of the other..... what a mishmash of sound. Then, when I closed youtube, I had a bit of a time finding where to turn it off. LOL

Did I say it is 5:30 am?
Old 6th August 2010, 10:52 AM   #13
nfc212
Master

Quote:

Did I say it is 5:30 am?
Well you know where to turn now if your alarm clock goes on the blink.

Haven't worked out how to put an off button in it yet.

Old 6th August 2010, 10:53 AM   #14
mjh
The one and only mjh

Quote:
Well you know where to turn now if your alarm clock goes on the blink.

Haven't worked out how to put an off button in it yet.
You amuse me to no end, Nigel.

How about putting a page together with your fine accumulation of files with CSS tricks?
Old 6th August 2010, 11:08 AM   #15
nfc212
Master

Quote:
How about putting a page together with your fine accumulation of files with CSS tricks?
I've got some spare web space as the newsletter site I was doing for someone is now defunct.

I might put some of them together with explanations of how to do it. It may help some who seem to feel I am "speaking in tongues" on here.

Perhaps a couple of examples of how HTML5 and CSS3 can be worked into WP as well.

Old 6th August 2010, 11:16 AM   #16
mjh
The one and only mjh

Quote:
I've got some spare web space as the newsletter site I was doing for someone is now defunct.

I might put some of them together with explanations of how to do it. It may help some who seem to feel I am "speaking in tongues" on here.

Perhaps a couple of examples of how HTML5 and CSS3 can be worked into WP as well.

Sounds good, Nigel.. i have some but not all of your files.

Once done, I'll add your page to my sig.
Old 10th August 2010, 09:27 PM   #17
graeme_pc

Location: Sunny Blackpool - Home of the Stars and The Big One
graeme_pc is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: How do you expand web pages for all browsers?

I am sure I read somewhere once (on this forum, to narrow it down a little) that if you put the WHOLE web page design inside a table, set to 100%, that it will expand and contract to fit the screen.

Certainly sounds logical...

I haven't tried it and I am not an expert, but I never let that get in the way of my opening my mouth :-)

Graeme

Learning Spanish Blackpool
Old 10th August 2010, 11:14 PM   #18
Ali
Guru

Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

Quote:
Originally Posted by graeme_pc View Post
I am sure I read somewhere once (on this forum, to narrow it down a little) that if you put the WHOLE web page design inside a table, set to 100%, that it will expand and contract to fit the screen.

Certainly sounds logical...

I haven't tried it and I am not an expert, but I never let that get in the way of my opening my mouth :-)

Graeme
Hola! You've been enjoying too many mojitos again ...

Archibald sometimes recommends using a single cell of a table to create a TEXT box that will grow according to how much text is inside it. You may be able to include the odd image, but the whole website??? No way, Jose!!! (PS can't do accented characters in this browser ... ).
WPX2-6 SITES: The Falcon Inn (X6) | Martin Sexton - Artist (X2) | Clover Greetings
(X6)
Old 11th August 2010, 06:06 PM   #19
graeme_pc

Location: Sunny Blackpool - Home of the Stars and The Big One
graeme_pc is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: How do you expand web pages for all browsers?

OK, I consider myself reprimanded

...hence the disclaimer!

Learning Spanish Blackpool
Old 11th August 2010, 07:38 PM   #20
mjh
The one and only mjh

Quote:
Originally Posted by graeme_pc View Post
OK, I consider myself reprimanded

...hence the disclaimer!
HI Graeme

It's about time you showed up again.

Thanks again for that witty ditty you composed. Your duet with Ali can still be heard on the home page of the WEBPlus how to site linked below.. right side, The Serif Serenade.