Go Back   Serif Software Forums > Design and Publishing > WebPlus

Notices

WebPlus Questions about using WebPlus for website design

Old 26th July 2010, 12:18 PM   #1
automike

automike is on a distinguished road
Default webplus v dreamweaver

i've asked this question before, just wanted some new views , why would some people use dreamweaver as it seems so hard to learn and the websites to me dont look very exciting , i am currently trying to learn it ,am i wasting my time or would it be usefull to learn adobe approach aswell', you dont see many rounded corners for eg
thanks for help
Old 26th July 2010, 12:33 PM   #2
Mick
Expert

Mick has much to be proud ofMick has much to be proud ofMick has much to be proud of
Default Re: webplus v dreamweaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by automike View Post
i've asked this question before, just wanted some new views , why would some people use dreamweaver as it seems so hard to learn and the websites to me dont look very exciting , i am currently trying to learn it ,am i wasting my time or would it be usefull to learn adobe approach aswell', you dont see many rounded corners for eg
thanks for help
Dont understand where you are coming from, if you say you dont like dreamweaver because it's to hard to learn and does not produce what you are looking for and then you say should I learn Adobe - Why post in a WebPlus X (Serif Software) forum ?

Does WPX2/4 not give you what you are looking for and easy to use too ?
Old 26th July 2010, 12:41 PM   #3
Chris9

Chris9 is a jewel in the roughChris9 is a jewel in the rough

The websites in dreamweaver will be just as exciting or not as webplus. That is down to the designer.

Rounded corners are achieved with images. WP makes it simple with Quickshapes, which are converted to images on publishing. With DW, you'd make the rounded corner image outside of DW and bring it in to your image folder within the site.

As to whether it's worth learning, that's a personal choice thing, like what car to drive. They both get you from A to B. One may be smoother running, but the other might be faster. Or perhaps it may be worthwhile if you want to work as a web designer in a corporate environment, where DW will more likely be the chosen application.

I had to learn DW for the college course I was on. It has its' advantages, such as full access to the code and external CSS.

However, I'd estimate that you could build a website 5x faster in WP.
Old 26th July 2010, 12:48 PM   #4
pj1000

pj1000 is well on the road to greatness

Web plus is far easier than dw but dreamweaver has some advantages that you can edit the code when needed, but a lot lot of people who design sites with web plus will have no need to edit the code so its totally up to you, i personally do use dw for editing but thats about it

regards lee
Old 26th July 2010, 01:08 PM   #5
zooburner

zooburner is on a distinguished road

Hiya there

As with all web design tools, each has it's own Pros and cons.

As has already been said, if you want to design web pages, and at the same time learn how they actually work, then Dream weaver or perhaps Expression Web should be your choice.

WebPlus was never designed to compete on the same level, no one who wants absolute control over css positioning or formatting, or who wants unrestricted editing access to underlying page code would ever choose WebPlus.

WebPlus is exactly what it says on the tin (so to speak) It's a web designing tool, not a code designing tool. In WebPlus you create your web page in a friendly DTP style environment, placing objects where you want them, with the ability to move objects around seemingly at will.

WebPlus, when you come to publish goes through a check-list, first it checks if you have overlapping objects, if you have it offers to help you with that (normally by making them into one graphic)after checking everything is okay it will then create the code needed for your browser to render the web page (this code will be like what a hand coder , or Dream weaver does, it does however advertise itself in the code.. which I find almost 'adware' like)

Webplus creates a div tag,with CSS attributes that match your page dimensions set within WebPlus normally centres it on the page(Default)this is called a container. It will then absolutely position content in that container.

The end result is consistent and up to date code. The quality of any page is not down to the program, but the content the designer puts in there, Web design tools are just that... tools, its up to you to express yourself in a bright attractive way.

Andy

Intel i5 2.9GHz, Windows 7 Prem (x64),4GB Ram, NV530GT 2GB,A dusty Keyboard, and finally the weakest link in the chain..Me!
Old 26th July 2010, 01:12 PM   #6
automike

thanks chris that exactly what i was looking for , i love webplus it seems too good to be true , i just thought should i learn software like dreamweaver to fuly understand web design ,i have all serif programs i love all of them
thanks for help
mike
Old 26th July 2010, 01:14 PM   #7
Ali
Guru

Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

Quote:
thanks chris that exactly what i was looking for , i love webplus it seems too good to be true , i just thought should i learn software like dreamweaver to fuly understand web design ,i have all serif programs i love all of them
thanks for help
mike
As you become more adventurous with WP, so you will begin to explore under the bonnet and begin to understand a bit of the coding behind the website, even how to tweak it occasionally. Sounds like DW won't be necessary for what you want to do, but it's your call at the end of the day.
WPX2-6 SITES: The Falcon Inn (X6) | Martin Sexton - Artist (X2) | Clover Greetings
(X6)
Old 26th July 2010, 01:16 PM   #8
Martin Taylor
Expert

Martin Taylor has a brilliant futureMartin Taylor has a brilliant futureMartin Taylor has a brilliant futureMartin Taylor has a brilliant future

Quote:
... i just thought should i learn software like dreamweaver to fuly understand web design ...
If you want to know what goes on "under the bonnet" of a web page, then I'd say you'd be better off following HTML and CSS tutorials on a site like www.w3schools.com, and using Notepad to create some simple pages. You'll understand something like DW better if you've got a bit of grounding in the basics.
Old 26th July 2010, 01:30 PM   #9
automike

thanks everyone this is my website i made with webplus its got many faults which i need to work on
regards mike http://www.wilesfabrication.co.uk