Go Back   Serif Software Forums > Community > General

Notices

General Discussions that don't relate to a specific Serif product

Old 25th July 2010, 10:00 PM   #1
Naz
Expert

Naz has a brilliant futureNaz has a brilliant futureNaz has a brilliant futureNaz has a brilliant future
Default Data data everywhere

OK so after a great deal of time searching the big G i still can't find what i'm looking for, and that twice this week.

Does anyone know of a database where i can design and build a database then turn it into a standalone file to give away. Access is great but apparently to do this you have to by the developer edition blah blah blah £200 blah ...and I'm looking for an alternative to that. As for Base from OpenOffice, I can't even create a simple database with that.

Does anyone know one? Preferably a good looking one.

iPlus360.com || Free downloads || Free PHP script generator
If someone's answer helped, please give them a Positive Reputation vote (second icon bottom left of person)
Old 25th July 2010, 10:06 PM   #2
Ali
Guru

Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)
Default Re: Data data everywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naz View Post
OK so after a great deal of time searching the big G i still can't find what i'm looking for, and that twice this week.

Does anyone know of a database where i can design and build a database then turn it into a standalone file to give away. Access is great but apparently to do this you have to by the developer edition blah blah blah £200 blah ...and I'm looking for an alternative to that. As for Base from OpenOffice, I can't even create a simple database with that.

Does anyone know one? Preferably a good looking one.
FileMaker Pro is another popular one, but you're looking at a similar price tag to Access Developer.
WPX2-6 SITES: The Falcon Inn (X6) | Martin Sexton - Artist (X2) | Clover Greetings
(X6)
Old 25th July 2010, 10:10 PM   #3
AlfredP
Guru

AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

Quote:
As for Base from OpenOffice, I can't even create a simple database with that.
What's the problem with OOo Base, Naz? If you could get to grips with that you could use OpenOffice.org Portable and burn the whole thing to CD, as described here.

Alfred
- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (1900-1944)
Old 25th July 2010, 10:16 PM   #4
Naz
Expert

Naz has a brilliant futureNaz has a brilliant futureNaz has a brilliant futureNaz has a brilliant future

Alfred where do I begin.

I've had several goes at trying to create a database with Base and have yet to create a single form. Its just so complicated compared to Access. Theres also virtually no help, and the forum is full of ultra-geeky people who just byte you for asking the simplest question.

What I'm trying to do is create a free business managment database for clients to store all their info/contacts/finance etc and simple have the app output a self-executable file that I can give away, without the client having to do anything other than double-click to run it.

If someone's answer helped, please give them a Positive Reputation vote (second icon bottom left of person)
Old 25th July 2010, 10:33 PM   #5
mjh
The one and only mjh

mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

Quote:
Alfred where do I begin.

I've had several goes at trying to create a database with Base and have yet to create a single form. Its just so complicated compared to Access. Theres also virtually no help, and the forum is full of ultra-geeky people who just byte you for asking the simplest question.

What I'm trying to do is create a free business managment database for clients to store all their info/contacts/finance etc and simple have the app output a self-executable file that I can give away, without the client having to do anything other than double-click to run it.

Naz, nice touch.

Can't you pretend OO Calc is a db and build input forms and etc?
Old 25th July 2010, 10:36 PM   #6
Naz
Expert

oddly enough thats my backup plan :-D

Old 25th July 2010, 11:19 PM   #7
Jim B.
Master

Jim B. will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Does anyone know of a database where i can design and build a database then turn it into a standalone file to give away.
Alpha5 by Alpha Software can do that. I've used A5 for many years.

A5 is available in a few versions; check carefully to see which version is most appropriate for your needs.

Wait. DBPlus. Hmmm. It has possibilities.

Picture taking. It's a snap!

Good photography. It's complicated.
Old 25th July 2010, 11:44 PM   #8
Naz
Expert

Looks great but cost $800

Old 25th July 2010, 11:48 PM   #9
mjh
The one and only mjh

mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

Quote:
Looks great but cost $800
Want my copy of Ashton-Tate's dBASEII? Complete with original manuals? Works best on DOS about 5.0

LOL

Or, how about the Dev version of FoxBase of the same vintage?
Old 25th July 2010, 11:55 PM   #10
RichardS
Master

RichardS has a brilliant futureRichardS has a brilliant futureRichardS has a brilliant futureRichardS has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh View Post
Want my copy of Ashton-Tate's dBASEII? Complete with original manuals? Works best on DOS about 5.0

LOL

Or, how about the Dev version of FoxBase of the same vintage?
I can do better, and I'm closer:

12 inch cube box of unregistered dBaseIV for DOS, or perhaps the slightly smaller Frameworks III suite which probably includes a simple database.

ps. These are probably on 5.25 inch floppies.
Old 25th July 2010, 11:58 PM   #11
Naz
Expert

dBASEII brings backs memories...although I used the dBASE ODBC for about 3 years to get data from Cognos to Access cleanly...........hang on to those.....they be antiques before not too long ;-)

Old 25th July 2010, 11:59 PM   #12
Naz
Expert

5.25inch floppies....only ever seen 1...what were they all about?

Old 26th July 2010, 12:00 AM   #13
mjh
The one and only mjh

Quote:
LOL..............

I forgot to mention that dBASEII is on an 8 inch floppy.
Old 26th July 2010, 12:01 AM   #14
Ali
Guru

Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

Quote:
They were great coffee mats.
WPX2-6 SITES: The Falcon Inn (X6) | Martin Sexton - Artist (X2) | Clover Greetings
(X6)
Old 26th July 2010, 12:17 AM   #15
RichardS
Master

RichardS has a brilliant futureRichardS has a brilliant futureRichardS has a brilliant futureRichardS has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh View Post
LOL..............

I forgot to mention that dBASEII is on an 8 inch floppy.
There you are: My dBaseIV on 5.25 inch floppies is much more modern.

For many years, the company ran an already obsolete English Electric or Elliot Automation mainframe which included an experimental 12 inch floppy disk drive. In modern terms, these disks probably held about 100kBytes.

A later company banned the term "floppy": We had to call them "flexible disks."
Old 26th July 2010, 02:12 AM   #16
elderflower

elderflower will become famous soon enough

According to my coz in South Africa 3.5" disks were called stiffies - which I found hard to live with!

I too have been trying to create a data base using Open Office, to replace my very ancient Works4.5 suite db when I eventually transfer to Windows7 from XP. I just want an ordinary list view db for my own use, which can be filtered for various purposes. I have a very comprehensive address and general information database (ref numbers, birthdays - all that sort of stuff) which I dread losing,

I have really struggled with Open Officeand am pleased to see it's not just my inadequacy! I just can't get started.

Does this need a degree course or can anyone do it? I'm managing to get to grips with the OO spread sheet and the WP part is a doddle, but the database defeats me. It seems to want me to connect to the Internet which I don't understand.

I would really appreciate it if anyone can just give me a steer in the right direction. Even the Help needs help

Thanks in hopes, but not very sanguine
Annie
Old 26th July 2010, 03:58 AM   #17
Naz
Expert

I don't know what the problem is with Base. And its not like i'm short on IT/Database experience but a good half dozen times i've tried to make a simple database with BASE and given up.

I don't think i've ever come across an app thats stumped me.....bu rest assured one day come bell or high water I will create a BASE database

Old 26th July 2010, 05:10 AM   #18
mjh
The one and only mjh

Quote:
I don't know what the problem is with Base. And its not like i'm short on IT/Database experience but a good half dozen times i've tried to make a simple database with BASE and given up.

I don't think i've ever come across an app thats stumped me.....bu rest assured one day come bell or high water I will create a BASE database

And, no doubt you will, Naz.
Old 26th July 2010, 09:30 AM   #19
Ali
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by elderflower View Post

According to my coz in South Africa 3.5" disks were called stiffies - which I found hard to live with!

I too have been trying to create a data base using Open Office, to replace my very ancient Works4.5 suite db when I eventually transfer to Windows7 from XP. I just want an ordinary list view db for my own use, which can be filtered for various purposes. I have a very comprehensive address and general information database (ref numbers, birthdays - all that sort of stuff) which I dread losing,

I have really struggled with Open Officeand am pleased to see it's not just my inadequacy! I just can't get started.

Does this need a degree course or can anyone do it? I'm managing to get to grips with the OO spread sheet and the WP part is a doddle, but the database defeats me. It seems to want me to connect to the Internet which I don't understand.

I would really appreciate it if anyone can just give me a steer in the right direction. Even the Help needs help

Thanks in hopes, but not very sanguine
Annie
Annie - sounds as if you are talking about a flat file (not relational, i.e. multi-table) database. This could be easily replicated in a spreadheet application, I would have thought. Anything you already have, if it can be exported in .csv format, could be imported easily into a spreadsheet. MS Excel has some extremely good auto filters - I'm sure OO Calc does, too, although I don't use it here. Apologies if I've got the wrong end of the stick!
(X6)
Old 26th July 2010, 12:01 PM   #20
elderflower

elderflower will become famous soon enough

Ali, thanks for your reply. I thought after posting that, I'm probably talking about a different animal and something far more complex than I require. At least it's some comfort that I'm not just a screw loose and just can't see how to do it,

I can certainly import the information into a spread sheet so at least it is safe in that respect but it is also used for merge files and that's where I'm likely to come unstuck. In the hopes of replacing my v. old Works suite, my computer guru dumped Open Office on my computer and left me to it! He used to be over the road but is now in France! He has never used it himself!!!!

Anyway thanks again, it clarifies the situation for me re OO databases. I can give up the unequal struggle and go back to the drawing board.
Annie