Go Back   Serif Software Forums > Older Software > Digital Scrapbook Artist

Notices

Digital Scrapbook Artist Digital Scrapbooking Software

Old 2nd July 2010, 12:58 PM   #1
MrsPeel

MrsPeel is on a distinguished road
Default DSA2 slowing down to a stop again :(

Hi guys...
as I exhausted all avenues now and you guys have been so great help in the past, I decided to ask here.
We already eastablished that I do not have a virus (I do not use the PC for anything other than DSA, I runned all Malawarebites and AVG scans possible, all came back negative) and last time it was just a question of magic...and a bit of pacience.

But yesterday the program started to slow down again, and none of the tricks I tried in the past are working to sort this.
I have tride , for example, closing down Parallels (the virtual PC I have in my Mac, in case you don't know me) for a while and restarting, it worked.
Lots of other things, like closing down every other program, upgrading the memory...etc.
My last trick was (after I uninstalled AVG because what was slowing it down last was the AVG processes to remind me the trial version was finished and I should buy it) to end the processes in the task manager that had to do with AVG. IT worked.

But yesterday not even that worked.
Is not working today either and it is impossible to work.
Every other thing in the machine works fine.

I looked in the task manager and googled something called svchost.exe, as I have lots of them in the task manager showing using a lot of power.
The answer was that is something used by gra[hics, but it can also be a virus if it s not located in Windows32 something ,which I m not sure, as it shows either as Local Service or Network Service...

I wrote down the processes showing in the task manager...could you have a look tell me what you think?
I had to hand write this as the task manager wont copy and paste, I dont know, I m afraid, how to do screen shots.

If anyone has an answer or a suggestion, I would really, really be very, very gratefull....
I LOVE DSA with a passion and have been creating amazing stuff, I get really grumpy and frustrated when it doesn't work...and I have no clue as to what I can do now..

Thanks in advance for your time.
(here is the task manager list yesterday, after I closed down the AVG related processes)
wscntfy.exe Administrator
dumprep.exe Administrator
wuauclt.exe Administrator
explorer.exe Administrator
prl_tools_service.... SYSTEM
svchost.exe LOCAL SERVICE
svchost.exe NETWORK SERVICE
lass.exe SYSTEM
services.exe SYSTEM
winlogon.exe SYSTEM
csrss.exe SYSTEM
prl_tools.exe SYSTEM
smss.exe SYSTEM
ctfmon Administrator
prl_cc.exe Administrator
SaredIntApp.exe Administrator
taskmgr.exe Administrator
coherence.exe SYSTEM
spoolsv.exe SYSTEM
System
System Idle Process
MrsPeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2010, 10:21 PM   #2
pmcleod

pmcleod is on a distinguished road
Default Re: DSA2 slowing don to a stop again :(

I don't see anything I know is bad but there are some I don't know. it is normal to see lots of svchost.exe though it is possible to get an infected one or a genuine one running an infected service it is unlikely. what %age processor time is sustem idle process taking.
Look for any processes taking a large chunk of CPU in task manager then google that process file name to see what is taking a lot of time also try looking at the same with scrapbook artist running see how much cpu that is taking. have a look on the performance tab of task manager both with and without scrapbook artist running see just how high the graphs get (also not sure of your spec so how many graphs are there?

these can all be starting points but I'm afraid I am just going, I should be back tomorrow by lunch or possibly late tonight

Webplus help and info, courtesy of mjh and others for the content www.foxhillers.com/webplus/
pmcleod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2010, 11:01 PM   #3
BrianE
Master

BrianE is a jewel in the roughBrianE is a jewel in the rough

MrsPeel,

I'm so sorry to hear you're having more problems! I think it might be due to Parallels, and not DSA. Have you made sure Parallels is up to date? Also, what version of Mac OS are you running now, because some versions of Parallels aren't supposed to work right on Mac OS 10.6.

SInce AVG is FREE, would you mind uninstalling it and seeing if there is a slowdown?

Also, I suggest that you go to Virtual Machine>Configure and revert any settings back to their normal state, except for Processor, Memory and Video Memory allotment.

Then go to Macintosh HD\Users\Your User Name\Library\Preferences and delete the following files:

com.parallels.server.transporter.plist
com.parallels.Parallels.plist
com.parallels.desktop.console.plist
com.parallels.Parallels Desktop Statistics
com.parallels.Parallels Desktop.plist
com.parallels.Parallels Server.plist

This will revert many of Parallel's setting to their original state.

Let me know if any of this helps - I'd be happy to do a screen-sharing session as we mentioned before if we can't solve this.
BrianE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2010, 11:03 PM   #4
BrianE
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcleod View Post
I don't see anything I know is bad but there are some I don't know. it is normal to see lots of svchost.exe though it is possible to get an infected one or a genuine one running an infected service it is unlikely. what %age processor time is sustem idle process taking.
Seems fine here too, Pete. Quite a few of those processes are actually from Parallels.

Screenshots can be taken by pressing Print Scrn on the keyboard and pasting into any photo editing application, such as MS Paint.
Old 3rd July 2010, 03:22 PM   #5
pmcleod

pmcleod is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmasternapa View Post
Seems fine here too, Pete. Quite a few of those processes are actually from Parallels.
Thanks, that would explain my not knowing of them, not that I know them all anyway

Webplus help and info, courtesy of mjh and others for the content www.foxhillers.com/webplus/
pmcleod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2010, 03:35 PM   #6
AlfredP
Guru

AlfredP has a reputation approching nirvanaAlfredP has a reputation approching nirvanaAlfredP has a reputation approching nirvanaAlfredP has a reputation approching nirvanaAlfredP has a reputation approching nirvanaAlfredP has a reputation approching nirvana

Quote:
Screenshots can be taken by pressing Print Scrn on the keyboard and pasting into any photo editing application, such as MS Paint.
Alternatively, you can paste right onto a page in DSA2 and then choose 'Export > Export as Image...' from the File menu.

Alfred
- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (1900-1944)
AlfredP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2010, 04:21 PM   #7
BrianE
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredP View Post
Alternatively, you can paste right onto a page in DSA2 and then choose 'Export > Export as Image...' from the File menu.

Alfred
Come to think of it, there isn't a Print Scrn button on the Mac.

On the Mac, use Grab, which is like the snipping tool for Windows Vista/7. It's located in the Applications folder, under Utilities.
Old 3rd July 2010, 05:22 PM   #8
AlfredP
Guru

AlfredP has a reputation approching nirvanaAlfredP has a reputation approching nirvanaAlfredP has a reputation approching nirvanaAlfredP has a reputation approching nirvanaAlfredP has a reputation approching nirvanaAlfredP has a reputation approching nirvana

Quote:
Come to think of it, there isn't a Print Scrn button on the Mac.
Hmm...yes, I wondered about that, but isn't there a combination of keypresses that you can use on a Mac keyboard to invoke the 'Print Scrn' function in Windows?

Alfred
- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (1900-1944)
AlfredP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2010, 05:38 PM   #9
BrianE
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredP View Post
Hmm...yes, I wondered about that, but isn't there a combination of keypresses that you can use on a Mac keyboard to invoke the 'Print Scrn' function in Windows?

Alfred
There is - but it would take a screenshot of the Mac with Windows in Parallels running. I suggest Grab because no shortcuts are required and you can select JUST Windows in Parallels.
Old 5th July 2010, 10:12 AM   #10
Mark Ingram
Serif Europe Limited

Mark Ingram is on a distinguished road

svchost.exe is just a wrapper process, you can't immediately tell what the real process is. It'll be one of the services installed on your computer. You can view services in the administrator panel of the control panel.

Mark Ingram
DrawPlus and CraftArtist Project Manager

Reporting Software Issues To Serif
Mark Ingram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2010, 03:45 PM   #11
MrsPeel

MrsPeel is on a distinguished road
Default Re: DSA2 slowing down to a stop again :(

Hi and thanks for the replies...
as you may have noticed, I disappeared for various reasons having to do with non computer issues, but also (as it has been for the past 5 month, in and out) DSA had it's moments in which it works perfectly well, then it goes into one of those fits I was having that week I posted....to the point on getting me down to tears.

Normally I sort it by turning everything of, letting it *cool down* as you would with an overheated car engine, then it works well.
So far I have been able to do well most of the time, especially if you consider that sometimes i m working on it for over 4 hours....
still, I' gonna try see if I can get to talk to a Parallels guy at the Apple Store, but it is not to do with Parallels, because every other program works perfectly well in Windows, and even DSA....it is only at times that the program does that...
But I wanna go speak to the Parallels people because I will only upgrade if I can have a way of getting rid of these episodes.

Something that annoys me big time is that I have uninstalled AVG but there are still AVG files taking up computer power...

I ve been told that one can buy a program to get rid of programs *left overs* but that is for Mac, not totally sure if it ll work with the Windows side of my computer.... so, again, I need to talk to the Parallels people, but, (Thank God and here I'm praying for not having surprises when I try work in a bit LOL) it has been ok so far,...

I wanna know about re installing Windows, but I think I'll go open another thread...

Thanks guys, you are the best!
MrsPeel is offline   Reply With Quote