Go Back   Serif Software Forums > Photos and Movies > MoviePlus

Notices

MoviePlus Questions about using MoviePlus for video editing

Old 27th May 2010, 10:16 AM   #1
Johan H

Johan H is on a distinguished road
Default Difference between video and cinematic movie?

There is something about cinematic movies that make them look like cinematic movies and not home made videos and I can't really figure out what it is.

For example, after having watched a DVD I often watch the sometimes un-edited bonus material. Sometimes the pictures looks more "documentary" than "artistic" than in the actual movie and the only thing I can come up with is that they use a soft filter in the editing.

I am planning to shoot a simple video to one of my songs and I would like to create a more "artistic" look and wonder if MoviePlus is capable of helping me achieve this.

Johan Hackman
Old 27th May 2010, 03:11 PM   #2
Indiana

Indiana is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Difference between video and cinematic movie?

Hi Johan

Yes I have to admit that cinematic movie looks better than video but then they are two different mediums with cinematic being optical while video being digital.

Many of the extras that are included in a DVD are shot on Video and those that are not such as outakes tend to be minus background music and speech recorded at the same time rather than added in later which does add to the overall effect.

But that said there is just that something which makes a lot of difference but is hard decide what it is.

Will be interesting to see what others think.

Indiana
Old 27th May 2010, 05:31 PM   #3
Jim B.
Master

Jim B. will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johan H View Post
There is something about cinematic movies that make them look like cinematic movies and not home made videos and I can't really figure out what it is.
A bazillion dollars worth of:

writers
scripts
story-boards
director(s)
camera(s) and lenses and film stock
shooting angles & type
sound equipment
live sound recording
post-recording sound processing (actors in a sound booth overdubbing their lines, foley sounds added, music synced to performers, etc.)
props
stage areas
scene dressing
camera operators
lighting
actors
post-shooting processing (editing of sight and sound)

...and usually lots of experience in putting it all together.

Plus, what you see in a theater or on your TV is a copy of a copy of a copy of a copy... with various editing having been done to one or more scenes in one or more of the copies. Editing includes some combination of altering images and/or sound.

The outtakes and commentary and such in a DVD are rarely, if ever, post-processed to the same degree as the scenes in the movie. Some of the cut scenes, however, probably were completely post-processed, but were removed from the movie's final edit due to content/continuity/time or other reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johan H View Post
I am planning to shoot a simple video to one of my songs and I would like to create a more "artistic" look and wonder if MoviePlus is capable of helping me achieve this.
MoviePlus can certainly do a lot of stuff to a movie. How you use MoviePlus will have the greatest effect.

Use more than one camera.

Plan on shooting several takes instead of non-stop from start to end of song, but the band does play non-stop.

Don't record the sound from the camera's mic, but instead record from the band's mixer - perhaps set up a "send" to a recorder.

A scene shot from about 5 1/2 feet above the ground (typical eye-level) is rarely the best angle for most shots.

But most home movies are, and will always be, home movies, regardless of the medium.

Picture taking. It's a snap!

Good photography. It's complicated.
Old 27th May 2010, 07:48 PM   #4
Indiana

Indiana is on a distinguished road

Only a few differences then.

Indiana
Old 28th May 2010, 09:36 AM   #5
Johan H

It's very interesting all this. I guess it answers my next question - they don't use MoviePlus either....

The song is already recorded and since I am playing all instruments myself (except drums) the video will feature myself singing it play back so it HAS to be manipulated to look more "artistic", hahaha.

I am not yet familiar with the effects that can be used in WebPlus so I would appreciate any suggestions.

Johan

Last edited by Johan H; 2nd June 2010 at 10:17 AM.
Old 28th May 2010, 10:43 AM   #6
Jon White
Serif Europe Limited

Jon White will become famous soon enough

Hi Johan,
Try Googling for "film look". There are a few tips here that you could try in MoviePlus.
Old 28th May 2010, 11:18 AM   #7
vshears
Advanced Member

vshears is on a distinguished road

Hi Johan

I have looked at the link Jon gave above and there are some interesting ideas I will be playing with for one, thanks Jon.

I know this as nothing to do with the film effect but as you are putting together a music video make sure you have a look at the MoviePlus edited video at...

http://www.codedfantasy.com/

if you have yet to see it. This shows what can be achieved by a first time editor with a lot of imagination, patience and MoviePlus.
Old 31st May 2010, 03:36 PM   #8
opampman

opampman is on a distinguished road

Keep in mind that a LOT of movies today are shot on video...including the Hollywood features (even back as far as the last few Star Wars). There are several things that come to mind that make a BIG difference. Large chips in the cameras require longer focal length lenses which result in shallow depth of depth of field. Shooting at 24fps also contributes to the "look" as does the lighting and color correction of the footage. Also, adjustment of the color curves makes a big difference in matching film look. As someone mentioned on Jon's link, Magic Bullet movie looks does just this. I once shot some home video on a friends camcorder and tried a lot of the tricks including Magic Bullet and it did a remarkable job of making the footage look like film. As far as the depth of field difference, this can even be corrected using something like the Red Rock Micro M2 adapter which allows you to use 35mm still or movie lenses with your camcorder. Of course, by the time you purchase all the adapters and software, you might be better off buying one of the new generation still cameras that shoot HD video such as the Canon Mk5 or the Olympus Pen. In fact, one of the recent episodes of the TV series "House" was shot on the Canon digital SLR.
Old 2nd June 2010, 08:12 AM   #9
Johan H

I have now finished my music video. The shooting was done in two hours and the editing less than a day so it was a fairly quick job. I used one of the techniques I learnt from this thread: two layers of movie, the lower one sharpened and the top one slightly blurred, and opacity set so that the two layers blend. I think it was a very effective way to get that "film look".

I had a friend holding the camera for me and it became quite obvious that a few people were missing at the set: a few directors, producers etc would have been very nice to have around. I think what's been said earlier in this thread about this is very relevant. I am happy to have been able to produce the video the way I did anyway. I found MoviePlus easy to work with.

Thanks for your contribution.

The finished result can be seen here: http://www.johanhackman.se/wheredoigofromhere/

Johan Hackman
Stockholm
Sweden