Go Back   Serif Software Forums > Design and Publishing > PagePlus

Notices

PagePlus Questions about using PagePlus for desktop publishing

Old 17th April 2010, 06:01 PM   #1
BobRob

BobRob is on a distinguished road
Default Creating A5 Booklet

Hello,

I am a new boy to Page Plus X4 but have used MS Publisher for many years so i know my way round desktop publishing.

I want to create a 32 page A5 booklet so to get me started a couple of questions. The finished publication will then be sent to a professional printer.

Do I select a page size of A4 landscape so I have two A5 pages on one sheet of A4?

Does Page Plus X4 place the pages automatically in the correct order so that when the booklet is printed double sided they are all in the correct sequence.

Thanks for all advice an d pointers to get me started.
Old 17th April 2010, 06:05 PM   #2
Bhikkhu Pesala
Master

Bhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to beholdBhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to beholdBhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Creating A5 Booklet

Just chose Side fold booklet in Page Setup, and PagePlus will do the imposition of A5 on A4 landscape for you. Facing pages and dual master pages are the usual options too. If you publish to PDF, you choose "impose pages."

Click on the page number in the hintline to go to the master page to create frames for headers/footers, and insert page number codes.

In Format, page number format you can set the page to -1 to start the booklet with page 1 on physical page 3 to allow for the cover and inside front cover.
Old 17th April 2010, 06:55 PM   #3
garywood84

garywood84 is on a distinguished road

Bhikkhu's method is perfect because it means you can publish the PDF as either imposed pages (which will result in printer's pairs) or to publish the pages individually. Different printers have different requirements for this, so having the option is very useful.

Bhikkhu - do you have any tips on dealing with page creep? This may be an issue with a 32 page booklet.

Gary
Old 17th April 2010, 07:07 PM   #4
Bhikkhu Pesala
Master

Bhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to beholdBhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to beholdBhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to behold

The way to allow for page creep is to manually shift the frames using nudge. Calculate the total creep you require for 8 sheets, and adjust the nudge value to suit. Lock the frames after nudging them by ever increasing amounts from the centre-fold out, and save the document as a template for future use.
Old 17th April 2010, 07:11 PM   #5
garywood84

garywood84 is on a distinguished road

Thanks, Bhikkhu. Wouldn't it be great it PP had the facility to do this automatically?
Old 18th April 2010, 10:53 AM   #6
BobRob

BobRob is on a distinguished road

Many thanks Bhikku and Garywood 84. We have lift off but I have no doubt that I will be back with a cry for help.