Go Back   Serif Software Forums > Design and Publishing > WebPlus

Notices

WebPlus Questions about using WebPlus for website design

Old 15th April 2010, 06:14 PM   #1
cp1

cp1 is on a distinguished road
Default 'Click to enter site page' and its impact on SEO

Hi everyone,

This isn't specifically a WebPlus question (well part 4 is), but I wonder if anyone has any advice.

I have been asked by someone about producing a site with an 'entry page' - one of those pages with 'Click here to enter the site' on an image. She wants no/minimal text - ideally just the name of the business.

Now, I know it would look pretty, but... I remember a while ago reading that for search engine purposes this is not a good idea, as the rest of the site won't then be searched.

1. Is this/was this ever correct?
2. Does it make a difference if the image 'moves' - either as flash or as a rollover? (The page itself would not be a flash page, just the image)
3. I could probably talk her into having some text - how much, if it included keywords, is likely to be 'enough?' (Get out that piece of string I suppose!)
4. Is there a way, in WPx4, to make this page NOT the index.html page of the site, but still have it loading first? (I'm working on the basis here that that would overcome the issue of the site not being crawled past that page)

Many thanks,

cp1
Old 15th April 2010, 06:23 PM   #2
mjh
The one and only mjh

mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)
Default Re: 'Click to enter site page' and its impact on SEO

For another forum member, he was persuaded to include a bit of text just for that purpose... SEO.

To exclude the entry page (index.html) from navigation, I named the first page home (home.html) and set up a navbar to exclude index.html.

Or you can make two sites.
Old 15th April 2010, 06:25 PM   #3
Tom.
Guru

Tom. is a splendid one to beholdTom. is a splendid one to beholdTom. is a splendid one to behold

The simplest thing to do would be to talk them out of the idea.

Generally, the Index/Home page should be laid out like a newspaper/magazine with small snippets of info leading off to other pages in the site, eg Serif
Old 15th April 2010, 06:31 PM   #4
BrianE
Master

BrianE is a jewel in the roughBrianE is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh View Post
For another forum member, he was persuaded to include a bit of text just for that purpose... SEO.
You could make the text the same color as your page background....
Old 15th April 2010, 06:36 PM   #5
cp1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh View Post

To exclude the entry page (index.html) from navigation, I named the first page home (home.html) and set up a navbar to exclude index.html.

Or you can make two sites.
Thanks, mjh, I'll perhaps have a play with those ideas.

cp1
Old 15th April 2010, 06:38 PM   #6
rdmurray

rdmurray is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmasternapa View Post
You could make the text the same color as your page background....
I was under the impression that Google search engines do not like websites using hidden text and can damage your position if they find that on it .i.e same colour as the background! Well I do that sometimes but just knock the colour out one point on the RGB slider.
Old 15th April 2010, 06:40 PM   #7
BrianE
Master

BrianE is a jewel in the roughBrianE is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdmurray View Post
I was under the impression that Google search engines do not like websites using hidden text and can damage your position if they find that on it .i.e same colour as the background! Well I do that sometimes but just knock the colour out one point on the RGB slider.
What you could do is make the background color in another program such as PhP or GIMP, export as JPG, and then use that as your background image, so that Google can't "read" your background color.

Just a thought, though. Never tried it as I tend to stay away from entry pages.
Old 15th April 2010, 06:41 PM   #8
mjh
The one and only mjh

mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

Quote:
Agreed. Text has to have enough contrast to be readable, else I understand that searchengines like Google may not like it.
Old 15th April 2010, 06:41 PM   #9
cp1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomR View Post
The simplest thing to do would be to talk them out of the idea.
Yes, when she suggested it, I did say that it might not be such a good idea from a search point of view and that I would research it a bit further and get back to her.

cp1

I see you are also in sunny Norfolk, Tom. Well actually today it's more volcanic dusty Norfolk!
Old 15th April 2010, 06:44 PM   #10
Tom.
Guru

Tom. is a splendid one to beholdTom. is a splendid one to beholdTom. is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by cp1 View Post
Yes, when she suggested it, I did say that it might not be such a good idea from a search point of view and that I would research it a bit further and get back to her.

cp1

I see you are also in sunny Norfolk, Tom. Well actually today it's more volcanic dusty Norfolk!
Has it arrived yet?

I'm only just in Norfolk by a few hundred yards
Old 15th April 2010, 06:45 PM   #11
Tim

Tim is well on the road to greatness

It is not always easy to talk clients out of an intro page.

I tried with this site Which is almost completed, I am still uploading stock pages and making a few alteartions.

But note that it is all flash on the intro page, No hidden text either. The site has been live for only two weeks.

Type "ex rental tractors" into Google and it appears at No3 on page1, or It did for me a minute ago. Which I would think dispels the theory that Google doesn't like intro pages.

Windows 7 Home Premium. Intel(R)Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q8300 @2.5GHZ - 4GB RAM - 64 bit - 1 Terabyte
Old 15th April 2010, 06:50 PM   #12
mjh
The one and only mjh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post

I tried with this site Which is almost completed, I am still uploading stock pages and making a few alteartions.

But note that it is all flash on the intro page, No hidden text either. The site has been live for only two weeks.

Type "ex rental tractors" into Google and it appears at No3 on page1, or It did for me a minute ago. Which I would think dispels the theory that Google doesn't like intro pages.
I think the issue is

1, can google read whatever text as in when it's all in a flash file?

2. how does it really add to the visitor's experience of the site itself?
Old 15th April 2010, 06:51 PM   #13
Naz
Expert

Naz has a brilliant futureNaz has a brilliant futureNaz has a brilliant futureNaz has a brilliant future

"It is not always easy to talk clients out of an intro page."

The client is always right, and they must be punished for it

iPlus360.com || Free downloads || Free PHP script generator
If someone's answer helped, please give them a Positive Reputation vote (second icon bottom left of person)
Old 15th April 2010, 06:51 PM   #14
cp1

Quote:
What you could do is make the background color in another program such as PhP or GIMP, export as JPG, and then use that as your background image, so that Google can't "read" your background color.

Hmmm, interesting thought - if a teensy bit sneaky!

Reminds me of a local gardener who when asked on a radio programme about home made insecticides, reminded everybody they were illegal, then gave the recipe, 'purely for historical interest.'

Anyway, a bit off topic there.

The background she wants would have to be made elsewhere, but I'm increasingly thinking I will go down the 'talking her out of it' route if I can. We had just talked about search engine friendly sites in general, and if this is a potential problem then I suppose it looks more professional to tell it like it is. On the other hand, if the lady's not for turning, it's nice to have a few options.

cp1
Old 15th April 2010, 06:55 PM   #15
mjh
The one and only mjh

Quote:

Brian

I make my background images right in WebPlus, for solid colors, 1 pix wide. WebPlus has all sorts of graphic tools.
Old 15th April 2010, 06:56 PM   #16
rdmurray

I don't like intro pages and I think from a consumer point of view neither do they, especially if it takes a while to load they will just back out and find a website that gets straight to the point instead. I would try to talk your client out of it if you can.
Old 15th April 2010, 06:56 PM   #17
cp1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomR View Post
Has it arrived yet?

I'm only just in Norfolk by a few hundred yards
Very 'grey' (but not really clouds as such) in the sky from late morning, on the North Norfolk Coast, but better inland. I wondered if it had blown down the East coast and missed further inland, but the bird bath looks very dusty - which it also did when we had the 'Sahara dust cloud' a couple of years ago.

cp1
Old 15th April 2010, 06:59 PM   #18
cp1

Quote:
I don't like intro pages and I think from a consumer point of view neither do they, especially if it takes a while to load they will just back out and find a website that gets straight to the point instead.
Good point, I do it myself.

cp1
Old 15th April 2010, 07:00 PM   #19
Tom.
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post

If the client won't be swayed then thats what you have to do.

That's a nifty intro, but I cannot see the point of them.
Old 15th April 2010, 07:01 PM   #20
rdmurray

I would tell your client it is up to them but you advise against it for the following reasons:

1/ Not search engine friendly

2/ Slows the user down, potentially leave the website before they have even entered

3/ Its not really the modern thing to do anymore, seen it before its nothing special.

then if they want it they can have it.