Go Back   Serif Software Forums > Design and Publishing > WebPlus

Notices

WebPlus Questions about using WebPlus for website design

Old 27th October 2009, 02:13 PM   #1
dwilbourn

dwilbourn is on a distinguished road
Default Hyperlink not opening in new window when told to

Sorry to keep going on about this but....

I am having real problems with the Hyperlinks. I thought that it was related to them being in Tables, etc. But I now realize that the problem is to do with Hyperlinks to non-pictures.

A Hyperlink created from a picture (i.e. from a small verion to the original of itself) can be set to open in a New Window with JavaScript popup stuff. This seems to work fine.

But a Hyperlink created to a Page or Picture that is set to open in a New Window does not. No matter what the Type settings and JavaScript settings, it ALWAYS opens in the same window.

I have checked the generated page code and the target="_blank" and onclick=.... are missing from the <a> tag of the hyperlink.

I see all sorts of threads about similar problems but none seem to have a definitive answer - and most seem to require lots of hand coding! Is this a bug? Is it fixed in X4?

I have attached a simple example page to show what I mean.

David.
Attached Files
File Type: zip test hyperlink.zip (203.4 KB, 10 views)
Old 27th October 2009, 02:20 PM   #2
mjh
The one and only mjh

mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)
Default Re: Hyperlink not opening in new window when told to

What version of WP are you using?
Old 27th October 2009, 02:22 PM   #3
dwilbourn

WPX2
Old 27th October 2009, 02:31 PM   #4
Vicky C

Vicky C is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwilbourn View Post
Sorry to keep going on about this but....

I am having real problems with the Hyperlinks. I thought that it was related to them being in Tables, etc. But I now realize that the problem is to do with Hyperlinks to non-pictures.

A Hyperlink created from a picture (i.e. from a small verion to the original of itself) can be set to open in a New Window with JavaScript popup stuff. This seems to work fine.

But a Hyperlink created to a Page or Picture that is set to open in a New Window does not. No matter what the Type settings and JavaScript settings, it ALWAYS opens in the same window.

I have checked the generated page code and the target="_blank" and onclick=.... are missing from the <a> tag of the hyperlink.

I see all sorts of threads about similar problems but none seem to have a definitive answer - and most seem to require lots of hand coding! Is this a bug? Is it fixed in X4?

I have attached a simple example page to show what I mean.

David.
Hi David

Is it possible to post here a cut-down version of the actual WPX2 project file, please? I use popup rollovers for links from thumbnails to large images, and link images to new pages, etc, regularly and without additional coding, so it would be interesting to see exactly what you're try to achieve that's necessitating it.
Old 27th October 2009, 02:34 PM   #5
dwilbourn

Hi Vicky,

The attachment (to my original message) contains just that: A very simple example of what works and what does not. The attachment also contains a tweaked version of the index page where I have hand coded the links to work correctly. It shows that that javascript would work in the page was correctly generated by WPX2.

David.
Old 27th October 2009, 02:43 PM   #6
Vicky C

Quote:
Hi Vicky,

The attachment (to my original message) contains just that: A very simple example of what works and what does not. The attachment also contains a tweaked version of the index page where I have hand coded the links to work correctly. It shows that that javascript would work in the page was correctly generated by WPX2.

David.
Hi David

Sorry I must be missing something - the attached screenshot shows the files I'm seeing. There doesn't appear to be a WP working file there, just HTML ones?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dwhyperlinkfile.png
Views:	1
Size:	4.9 KB
ID:	6582  
Old 27th October 2009, 02:50 PM   #7
dwilbourn

Sorry about that. I am a newbie

David.
Attached Files
File Type: zip test hyperlink.zip (345.3 KB, 8 views)
Old 27th October 2009, 02:57 PM   #8
Vicky C

Quote:

Sorry about that. I am a newbie
Don't worry, David! Thanks for that - I (and no doubt others) will have a look and get back to you.
Old 27th October 2009, 03:04 PM   #9
dwilbourn

You know, I think at least half Serif's success is down to the amazing community support they have managed to generate - without seeming to have done anything themselves!
Old 27th October 2009, 03:10 PM   #10
Vicky C

Hi David

Not knowing the content of your site, this display may not be appropriate, but (working on the basis of 'the fewer clicks to another page the better'!), I would normally use a popup rollover to display a larger version of an image - example here. That is, of course, a built-in feature of X2 and requires no additional coding. I find it preferable to a javascript pop-up window as it's so easy to have it pop-up exactly where you want it!

If that would fit the bill, I can alter the project file and post it back so that you can see the settings, if that's any help?
Old 27th October 2009, 03:21 PM   #11
dwilbourn

Hi Vicky,

I don't think that would really work for me. The real images will be screenshots of an application and so are quite large. The rollover popups would inevitably have to popup over the thumbnail which I think would be very odd and would mean you would have to move the mouse way off to the side to get the popup to disappear and then come all the way back to popup the next picture.

I should also mention that this is the reason I have not used the Flash Photo Gallery. Though in theory it would be a nice solution, the pictures get shrunk too far (max 800 x 600 I believe) to be useful. Though the resize might be fine for photos it makes for very ugly screenshots. Also all the pictures get resized to about the same size, no matter what the original was so full screenshots and small dialogs all end up the same.

David.
Old 27th October 2009, 03:22 PM   #12
Vicky C

Quote:
You know, I think at least half Serif's success is down to the amazing community support they have managed to generate - without seeming to have done anything themselves!
It's certainly been an enormous help to me since I started using WP, not just with the application itself, but with all the attendant tit-bits!
Old 27th October 2009, 03:28 PM   #13
dwilbourn

Don't be coy, I meant you (amoung many others)
Old 27th October 2009, 03:28 PM   #14
Vicky C

Quote:
Hi Vicky,

I don't think that would really work for me. The real images will be screenshots of an application and so are quite large. The rollover popups would inevitably have to popup over the thumbnail which I think would be very odd and would mean you would have to move the mouse way off to the side to get the popup to disappear and then come all the way back to popup the next picture.

I should also mention that this is the reason I have not used the Flash Photo Gallery. Though in theory it would be a nice solution, the pictures get shrunk too far (max 800 x 600 I believe) to be useful. Though the resize might be fine for photos it makes for very ugly screenshots. Also all the pictures get resized to about the same size, no matter what the original was so full screenshots and small dialogs all end up the same.

David.
I don't know yet whether that's been resolved in X4 as I don't use the Serif galleries. I use Flash Slideshow Maker Professional - example here. It doesn't matter what size the original is - it's not tampered with! If you'd rather not use a gallery, sounds like your pop-up window is the best solution, so I'll have a look at that. Back soon!
Old 27th October 2009, 04:03 PM   #15
Vicky C

Quote:
Don't be coy, I meant you (amoung many others)
Just genuine thanks to everyone - "coy" is unattractive in a woman of my age!
Old 27th October 2009, 04:38 PM   #16
Vicky C

Hi David

I attach a project file with both the image and text link going to a new JS popup window. I've removed your third example, as, being a shrunken version of the large one, it needed to be saved with a different name, otherwise it would only link to itself (I probably haven't put that very clearly, but I'm sure you know what I mean!). In other words, wouldn't recommend doing it like that, particularly as X2 doesn't handle image resizing/resampling in a very refined manner!

Hope that helps.
Attached Files
File Type: wpp dwhyperlinks.wpp (152.8 KB, 5 views)
Old 27th October 2009, 05:08 PM   #17
dwilbourn

Hi Vicky,

That works very nicely - I just have no idea how you did it!

When I open the Hyperlink dialog in my website, I can set the type the same as you have but only the position, not the size is enabled (this is a problem that I see has been discussed before but I never found a clear answer to it).

I presume the "Close Window" is some Attached HTML - but where and how?

David.
Old 27th October 2009, 05:19 PM   #18
dwilbourn

But.....

I have to come back to the original point - there is a mechanism in WP (the Hyperlink dialog Type field) that implies this can be done without any fancy coding. It just does not work as it should. The fact that it can be made to work by copying the <a> tag from the one situation that does work, into the HTML for those that don't, implies that it is a bug in WP that no one seems prepared to acknowledge!

David.
Old 27th October 2009, 05:44 PM   #19
Vicky C

Quote:
But.....

I have to come back to the original point - there is a mechanism in WP (the Hyperlink dialog Type field) that implies this can be done without any fancy coding. It just does not work as it should. The fact that it can be made to work by copying the <a> tag from the one situation that does work, into the HTML for those that don't, implies that it is a bug in WP that no one seems prepared to acknowledge!

David.
Hi David

I've not used any additional code, purely the JS popup window settings, with the height and width obviously set to the page which was to appear. I did have an issue with yours, though, that I've not experienced before in that, as you say, the option to size the window didn't exist. With much removing of the hyperlink, copying to a new site, etc, it eventually came up as expected (and as I, personally, have always experienced it), but I agree that it's odd. On your settings, you did have the JS window set to 'Resize', which was why the window size option was unavailable, but removing that setting still failed to offer the option, which is when I decided to start with a new site. The 'Close Window' is done by adding the following code and positioning the fragment where you want it:
<a href="javascript:window.close();">Close Window</a>
I normally keep fragments like that in the gallery, then I can just drag them into a site when required.

Hope that helps.
Old 27th October 2009, 06:07 PM   #20
dwilbourn

Hi Vicky,

Thanks for trying, but I can't get the JS popup to do anything. I am still at the stage I was at the start this morning, no matter what the JS popup and Type is set to, the <a> tag is aways empty of all the clever stuff.

I am just going to accept that WPX2 has bugs (that presumably will not be fixed now X4 is out, even if Serif ever acknowledge it is a bug).

It's all a bit disappointing, I only started on the website yesterday and already I have spent a day fruitlessly trying to do one simple, basic action

David.