Go Back   Serif Software Forums > Design and Publishing > WebPlus

Notices

WebPlus Questions about using WebPlus for website design

Old 6th October 2009, 08:50 AM   #1
Mikebellows

Mikebellows is on a distinguished road
Default Webplus For Apple Mac

I have a friend who wishes to use Weblus, but she has an Apple Mac laptop.

Is it possible to run Webplus on an Apple Mac?

Do you need a specific version of the software?
Mikebellows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2009, 08:55 AM   #2
PeterO

PeterO is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Webplus For Apple Mac

There isn't a Mac version of WebPlus currently. Don't know if there ever any plays to have one. Some folks do run WebPlus quite successfully in one of the Windows emulators for Mac.

Cheers
Peter
PeterO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2009, 08:56 AM   #3
Mikebellows

Thanks Peter.

Your help is much appreciated.
Old 6th October 2009, 09:09 AM   #4
nfc212
Master

nfc212 has a brilliant futurenfc212 has a brilliant futurenfc212 has a brilliant futurenfc212 has a brilliant future

It does make you wonder that with the rising number of Mac and Linux/Unix users how long the software companies can afford to produce programs only in MS Windows format.

There are some very good open source programs that are crossplatform and they are expanding the capabilities of these all the time, though of course they cannot at the moment compete with larger, dedicated programs.

It only takes some whizz-kid or a lucky stumble that could come up with a piece of code that would make sites like sourceforge and FSF the main suppliers of software, free software.
nfc212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2009, 09:30 AM   #5
PeterO

PeterO is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfc212 View Post
It does make you wonder that with the rising number of Mac and Linux/Unix users how long the software companies can afford to produce programs only in MS Windows format....... make sites like sourceforge and FSF the main suppliers of software, free software.
Windows based PC's is a HUGE market. Reality is that Mac and Linux/Unix are smaller markets by volume.

I've long been of the opinion that most people could get by with a reasonable PC running Windows XP, a copy of OpenOffice and an e-mail client... and to flip my own argument, you don't need Windows XP for either of those.

Cheers
Peter
PeterO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2009, 09:41 AM   #6
JimW

JimW is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikebellows View Post
I have a friend who wishes to use Weblus, but she has an Apple Mac laptop.

Is it possible to run Webplus on an Apple Mac?

Do you need a specific version of the software?
I recently converted to a MAC and whilst its taking some getting used too its very easy to dual boot using Bootcamp. If your friend is using snow leopard all she has to do is run the app, create a windows partition and install XP, Vista or whatever.
I'm running WPX2 without any problems. The documentation on how to use Bootcamp is on the OS X Installation disc.

Its not an emulator as you're running XP or Vista from its own partition, or you're running them from a virtual window. You need an original copy of Vista or XP installed just as you would on a PC.

She can also use VMWare Fusion and Parallels.
I've tried both and both are very good but I personally prefer to dual boot. Work is Vista - Play is Snow Leopard. For now! And, I nearly forgot; Bootcamp is the free option....

Jim W

Last edited by JimW; 6th October 2009 at 09:46 AM.
JimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2009, 09:43 AM   #7
nfc212
Master

nfc212 has a brilliant futurenfc212 has a brilliant futurenfc212 has a brilliant futurenfc212 has a brilliant future

There has however been a substantial jump in the use of Mac and Linux/Unix over the past couple of years, this is partly due to concerns over Windows security issues, cost and ever increasing system requirements, not to mention the Vista disaster.

Linux/Unix use in mainland Europe has soared, it does make you wonder how long the major software producers can continue to ignore a growing market.
Old 6th October 2009, 09:44 AM   #8
Mikebellows

Thanks Jim - I will let her know what you have said.
Old 7th October 2009, 02:41 AM   #9
teachtopia

teachtopia is on a distinguished road

In regards to the post about open source alternative being cross platform (that is true).
The development however on them NVU (now defunct), Komposer (a few changes), Amaya etc.. does not come anywhere near commercial alternatives.

I am a huge open source fan, but when it come to web development, the progress has gone nowhere while the commercial alternatives become better each year.
and about 50 more!!
teachtopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2009, 03:17 AM   #10
Jim B.
Master

Jim B. will become famous soon enough

Quote:
It does make you wonder that with the rising number of Mac and Linux/Unix users how long the software companies can afford to produce programs only in MS Windows format.
Until the company's market research convinces upper management that there is a sufficiently large market to buy enough units of the product to more than just cover the costs of R & D and packaging and marketing and product support, and however many additional employees to handle the increased work.

Which is the larger potential market: MAC or LINUX?

Picture taking. It's a snap!

Good photography. It's complicated.
Jim B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2009, 03:32 AM   #11
teachtopia

In response to Jim B asking:"Which is the larger potential market: MAC or LINUX?"

If market refers to people willing to pay good money for quality software (like Serif's) than the answer would be MAC. In the Linux consumer world, most people expect free. Only in the enterprise have people been willing to pay for linux support (mysql, redhat, etc)

I truly believe that Serif Webplus would be an excellent product in the Mac Marketplace.
and about 50 more!!
Old 7th October 2009, 04:33 AM   #12
Dijenga

Dijenga is an unknown quantity at this point

WebPlus should easily work on any Linux machine with Wine installed. I used to have a machine at work where I experimented with various windows programs under Linux (Ubuntu).

I'll have to try it and see if I can set it up again, but it should work fine. I and some of the folks on the Sothink forums got all of their flash programs to run that way.
Dijenga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2009, 05:09 AM   #13
teachtopia

Running Webplus on Wine has been documented with failure on various forums before. I hope however that you are successful and document it for us all.

It would be great news.
and about 50 more!!
Old 7th October 2009, 09:13 AM   #14
nfc212
Master

There has apparently been some success running Pageplus under the Wine environment.

Reading the Wine reports there was some limited success with Webplus 6, I believe, but no newer versions have been tried.

I have an old computer running ubuntu perhaps I'll give it a go with WP9.

Perhaps the way ahead for software compnies would be to produce their own emulation programs specifically tailored to their products. That would mean it is not trying to be all things to everyone. Distribute it free and perhaps Mac and Linux/Unix users would dig into their wallets to buy some Serif products.

Serif are certainly not that expensive compared to some other software manufacturers, particularly considering the quality of their programs.

The proverbial sprat to catch a mackerel.
Old 7th October 2009, 10:22 AM   #15
JimW

JimW is on a distinguished road

As a Mac user I can (nearly) see the day when Apple say to M$ okay we're now going to use Windows 10 or whatever, on our machines. How much do you want to pay us for the privilege?
Snow Leopard is a nice looking programme, but to be sure it's written for the lesser abled user that's for certain. I mean how many boxes do I need to click to install a bit of software. Are you really, really, really sure you want to install this programme. have you downloaded the software? Do you understand the risk?.........
Last night I was doing some work and thought the machine was slowing down. Ooops, I was running 10 applications at once. You didn't really, really want to shut this down did you? Proves what a good system it is tho'

Early days learning curve.

Jim W
Old 7th October 2009, 02:07 PM   #16
Dijenga

Dijenga is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I have an old computer running ubuntu perhaps I'll give it a go with WP9.
Make sure to get the latest version of Ubuntu . . . or whatever Linux release candidate you choose.

This is a good place to look and learn about the different distributions:

www.distrowatch.com

If you just want a Linux environment, and can't get it to work with the newer Serif products, you might consider the "ArtistX" Linux distro . . . from painting to webdevelopment to photography and much more. Over 2 Gigabytes of artists' software, no cost.
Dijenga is offline   Reply With Quote