Go Back   Serif Software Forums > Design and Publishing > PagePlus

Notices

PagePlus Questions about using PagePlus for desktop publishing

Old 15th September 2009, 05:36 PM   #1
indypete

indypete is on a distinguished road
Default setting default "page scaling" for pdf printing

Hello!

I am trying to put a pdf file in a web site with a "true size" printout of some drawings I have created. I had some trouble with it printing at a 'smaller than true' size, but after searching here on the forum I think my solution is that the "page scaling" in the Adobe Reader needs to be set to "none" in order to get the "true size" printout that I am shooting for.

I would like the default "page scaling" to be set to "none" when my web site visitors print the pdf file (so that I don't have make them do it when they print my pdf file). Is there a way to set the page scaling default in Pageplus X3 when creating a pdf file?

Thanks!

Pete
Old 15th September 2009, 05:42 PM   #2
Bhikkhu Pesala
Master

Bhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to beholdBhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to beholdBhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: setting default "page scaling" for pdf printing

Already replied to your other post
Old 15th September 2009, 06:00 PM   #3
indypete

Sorry about posting in the "photoplus" forum earlier, but I will put my reply here since this is where other pageplus viewers may benefit.

In looking at the "printing tips" that Adobe offers in its "Reader," it appears that Acrobat provides the option to set the default "page scaling" (not using the "Reader" but rather the version of Acrobat that you have to buy). I have copied the text from there:

"You can also set a default page scaling on a document-by-document basis as well as some other Print dialog options:

1. Open a PDF in Acrobat and choose File > Document Properties.
2. Click on the Advanced tab and select the desired options for the Print Dialog Presets.
3. Click OK to dismiss this dialog.
4. Choose File > Save, or File > Save As to apply the new defaults to the PDF file."

So I was hoping that Pageplus might let me do the same thing (without having to buy the Acrobat software).

Pete
Old 15th September 2009, 06:16 PM   #4
Bhikkhu Pesala
Master

Bhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to beholdBhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to beholdBhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to behold

The latest version of PDF-XChange free viewer lets me edit some document properties, such as layout mode and initial zoom, but these will still be overridden by the user's settings. Print options are not editable as far as I can tell.

I think you would need Adobe Acrobat or perhaps there are other tools, which would be a lot cheaper than Acrobat. Ask on the Tracker forums..

These options are not available in any version of PagePlus.
Old 15th September 2009, 06:23 PM   #5
indypete

Thanks for your input! I will see what I can find to do the job.

Pete
Old 16th September 2009, 12:14 PM   #6
Bhikkhu Pesala
Master

I see that Tracker have said that they will implement this feature into the next version of PDF-XChange viewer.

That is why I really like this viewer. Almost every sensible suggestion gets acted upon — often in the very next release.

Sometimes they mess up and introduce new bugs due to over-eagerness, but the bugs are also usually fixed quickly.

Trying to get simple improvements made to other applications takes years, while Tracker usually do it within months, sometimes within a week.
Old 16th September 2009, 02:51 PM   #7
indypete

Yes, I am impressed with their reply!

I solved my problem by making my pdf page size small enough to fit comfortably inside of the printable area that the Adobe reader will use, so Reader will not try to downscale it. This approach is not foolproof, but hopefully will work most of the time. But it would be nice to have the default page scaling option.

Pete