Go Back   Serif Software Forums > Design and Publishing > DrawPlus

Notices

DrawPlus Questions about using DrawPlus for vector graphics design

Old 14th March 2009, 09:14 PM   #1
Pat

Pat is on a distinguished road
Question motion blur

I got a nice brushed metal effect by applying a motion blur to bitmap metal4 and decreasing opacity a bit, except the edges are blurred too much. I want a nice linear blur that I can save as either an effect or fill. I tried cropping out the middle but the crop tool is more of a mask and the cropped area can't be saved just as itself. Can't cut off or erase the ends, those don't work on crops. Copy just gives another crop. The only way I can isolate the middle is by exporting as an image. Is there a way to get a nice linear blur?

Also, is there a way to actually crop instead of masking. Generally when I crop out part of something that's the only part I want to keep.

Pat

Last edited by Pat; 6th April 2009 at 08:23 AM.
Old 14th March 2009, 09:22 PM   #2
Bhikkhu Pesala
Master

Bhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to beholdBhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to beholdBhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: motion blur

Use the knife (rectangular preset) if you really want to crop the image.

Instead of save as image, you can also use convert to picture.
Old 15th March 2009, 12:02 AM   #3
Pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
Use the knife (rectangular preset) if you really want to crop the image.

Instead of save as image, you can also use convert to picture.
The knife preset does work on the image but the blurred edges persist. See the rectangular cut from the middle of the image, well away from the edges.

I had already tried converting it to bitmap (is that the one you mean?). Converts fine but can't be added to the studio since all the choices are grayed out, maybe I'm missing something.

Thanks for you help

Pat

Last edited by Pat; 6th April 2009 at 08:23 AM.
Old 15th March 2009, 01:29 PM   #4
Ken Cope
Expert

Ken Cope is just really niceKen Cope is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat View Post
The knife preset does work on the image but the blurred edges persist. See the rectangular cut from the middle of the image, well away from the edges.

I had already tried converting it to bitmap (is that the one you mean?). Converts fine but can't be added to the studio since all the choices are grayed out, maybe I'm missing something.

Thanks for you help

Pat
Hello Pat, the problem you face is that the fx are applied to the cut section too.

Try this:
Create your shape convert it to a bitmap.
Add the noise and motion blur
Add the crop tool and come in slightly from the top and bottom thin in from either side.
Convert this cropped object to a bitmap
Add to My Designs in the Gallery tab of the studio

Do not use blur.

To create a tiled effect you will need to copy, paste and flip horizontally for a left-right tile or flip vertically for an up-down tile.

Hope this helps

Oh! Just thought, you may want to make a picture brush out of the new shape too!

Stuck with something? Please look at these other helpful Serif related links:
WebPlus How-to site Live Help - webplus support DonD's WebPlus help site Alfred's Serif related site
Old 15th March 2009, 09:30 PM   #5
Pat

[QUOTE=Ken Cope;305432]
Quote:
Hello Pat, the problem you face is that the fx are applied to the cut section too.

Try this:
Create your shape convert it to a bitmap.
Add the noise and motion blur
Add the crop tool and come in slightly from the top and bottom thin in from either side.
Convert this cropped object to a bitmap
Add to My Designs in the Gallery tab of the studio
Thanks, Ken, that worked great! I could not find the add-noise button/effect so I was using one of the bitmap fills with lots of noise already in it. How do I add noise?

The second bitmap slid right into the gallery but options on add to studio still grayed out. Experimenting, used the preset rectangle knife cut in the middle of the second bitmap and earned an add-fill option to 'my bitmaps'. Had to export the object as a bitmap, then followed directions in help to add a bitmap fill. Success, I now have my brushed metal fill! Hope that was clear, I have a natural talent for complicating the simplest things

Quote:
Do not use blur.

To create a tiled effect you will need to copy, paste and flip horizontally for a left-right tile or flip vertically for an up-down tile.

Hope this helps

Oh! Just thought, you may want to make a picture brush out of the new shape too!
Wow, tiles and brushes - haven't advanced to those yet

Pat
Old 15th March 2009, 10:01 PM   #6
Ken Cope
Expert

Ken Cope is just really niceKen Cope is just really nice

[QUOTE=Pat;305625]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Cope View Post

Thanks, Ken, that worked great! I could not find the add-noise button/effect so I was using one of the bitmap fills with lots of noise already in it. How do I add noise?
Hello Pat,

The noise adjustment is a couple down from the motion blur in the Image Adjustments - see screenshot.

I found that adding around 40% noise created a pretty good brushed metal effect once the motion blur was added (20%) see image attached
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DP-Photo-Adjustments.png
Views:	9
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	1943   Click image for larger version

Name:	DP-brushed-metal.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	1944  

Stuck with something? Please look at these other helpful Serif related links:
WebPlus How-to site Live Help - webplus support DonD's WebPlus help site Alfred's Serif related site
Old 15th March 2009, 10:21 PM   #7
Pat

[QUOTE=Ken Cope;305635]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat View Post

Hello Pat,

The noise adjustment is a couple down from the motion blur in the Image Adjustments - see screenshot.

I found that adding around 40% noise created a pretty good brushed metal effect once the motion blur was added (20%) see image attached
Oh, I see why I couldn't do that before. Was working with the quick shapes and the picture adjustments aren't available with those. Should have converted to bitmap first. LOL That's a lot easier than the way I was trying to do it, better results too. Thanks again!

Pat