Go Back   Serif Software Forums > Design and Publishing > WebPlus

Notices

WebPlus Questions about using WebPlus for website design

Old 2nd March 2009, 12:51 PM   #1
Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Limited

Patrick Connor has a brilliant futurePatrick Connor has a brilliant futurePatrick Connor has a brilliant futurePatrick Connor has a brilliant future
Exclamation Patch Announcement (11.0.7)

Dear All.

Serif (Europe) Ltd. is pleased to announce the release of a patch for WebPlus X2 (build number 11.0.7.032).

The main purpose of the patch is to resolve a number of issues discovered/fixed after the masterring of WebPlus X2 (11.0.6), for which we apologise.

We would recommend that ALL users of WebPlus X2 (English) download and install this patch. To work out if you need this patch choose "About WebPlus X2" in the help menu and if the version number is 11.0.6.029 or less then you need this patch.

Serif recommend that patching should be done within the program, by using the "Check for update from web" option in the Help Menu of WebPlus X2. This will always get any available patch for your version of Serif software (CD or download) and install it too. The downloads page www.serif.com/downloads.asp has the patch also, which is 11.5 MB. The patch for the English download WebPlus X2 is the same as for the English CD version.

A list of the changes/fixes in this patch are listed below, some are phrased in the negative in the database, but are nevertheless fixed ...
  • Avoid crash with breadcrumb navbars.
  • Windows Mail doesn't work with HTML emails in WPX2
  • Initialise the db of mergeobjects after they have been pasted to a page.
  • Stretched artistic text misplaces it's hyperlinks
  • Fix use of ampersands in merge databases.
  • Prevent crash previewing Flash objects.
  • Avoid 'Site checker' crash.
  • Sheared drop shadow.
  • Can't change width of very large text.
  • Site search breaks with angled double quote marks.
  • Fix problem exporting images: ensure folder is created when saving bitmaps.
  • Fix crash with Serif Metafiles.
  • Improve file loading reliability.
  • Fix export of html table background (didn't use relative path before, so if table was on page in a sub directory, the background would not show).
  • Crash undoing paste table if the table got bigger.
  • Expressions with non-numerics.
  • Changing "Include Keywords" in Site Manager did not persist.
  • Adding offsite link from Site Structure dlg: now observes the 'Include in Navigation' flag.
  • Avoid crash dragging ruler origin.
  • Fix validation of page background sound.
  • Use of Ctrl+I to italicize highlighted text does not always work.
  • Fix crash while loading large documents.
  • Improve export image quality by using Lanczos filter. Enabled by default; can be changed in Site Properties->Graphics. Only applies to non-rotated images. WARNING: will slow down export/preview of graphic intense sites.
  • 'Text only' navbar coding not W3C compliant.
  • Site search broken with pages that use uppercase filenames; other fixes to uppercase filenames.
  • Fix sitemap.xml/robots.txt for pages with mixed case filenames.
  • HTML tables wrongly use css margin rather than padding.
  • Fix problem of comboboxes and buttons on webforms inside merge areas not being placed properly in the merged site.
  • Improve the message shown on pages that haven't been written for preview.
  • Some flash galleries styles make larger previews where possible.
  • Pansonic lumix codec crashes App when started, fixed.
This patch also includes all the issues fixed in the previous WebPlus X2 patches. This software patch is the only patch you need to apply, no matter what version of software you are currently running. There is no need to uninstall any previous patch before installing this patch.

Please report any problems updating WebPlus X2 in this thread.
Old 2nd March 2009, 08:48 PM   #2
Jim B.
Master

Jim B. will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Patch Announcement (11.0.7)

The installer has insufficient privileges to modify this file:

\internet\javascript\jspngfix.js

\program\exiflibu.dll

The actual letter-case of the folders/files might be different than above.

I hit the "Retry" button each time that the error message appeared, and the installer continued.

Picture taking. It's a snap!

Good photography. It's complicated.

Last edited by Jim B.; 2nd March 2009 at 10:54 PM.
Old 2nd March 2009, 10:32 PM   #3
PeterO

PeterO is on a distinguished road

Hi Folks

Installed patch without any issues here. Currently editing here but no upload plans for 2-4 weeks.

Cheers
Peter

Last edited by PeterO; 2nd March 2009 at 10:32 PM. Reason: Forgot my name - How rude!
Old 3rd March 2009, 12:17 AM   #4
In the bag
Message imported from old Serif Forum

Post removed!
Need to disassociate with this forum and remove all of my comments and close account due to shear contempt from regular users who are no more than just "post count bashers" with only a handful offering "real" advice.

Last edited by In the bag; 26th December 2010 at 10:52 AM.

Old 3rd March 2009, 01:42 AM   #5
mjh
The one and only mjh

mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

HIya In the Bag Welcome to the Serif Forums.

You can do one of two things.

1. Go to COntrol Panel > Add/Remove Programs and uninstall the patch

or better yet but more work for you

2. Optimize your images by cropping them and then File > Export as Image and save in a new name. Then, go back to the page, delete the existing image and insert the new one. RESIST all temptation to resize the image on the page as this will cause your pages to take longer to display.
Old 3rd March 2009, 07:57 AM   #6
In the bag

Post removed!
Need to disassociate with this forum and remove all of my comments and close account due to shear contempt from regular users who are no more than just "post count bashers" with only a handful offering "real" advice.

Old 3rd March 2009, 09:07 AM   #7
Foxy
Advanced Member

Foxy is on a distinguished road

Here are some results of the cropping methods attached.

George

Last edited by Foxy; 23rd February 2011 at 01:04 PM.
Old 3rd March 2009, 09:49 AM   #8
Adrian Bhagat
Serif Europe Limited

Adrian Bhagat is well on the road to greatness

In The Bag,
Go to File->Site Properties->Graphics and change the 'When resampling image make them' option to something other than 'Best' ( e.g. 'Sharper')

Adrian
Old 3rd March 2009, 11:17 AM   #9
mjh
The one and only mjh

mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

Hi In the bag

THere is a tick box on the Export dialog that says "selected object'. Tick this and it will only grab your image rather than the whole page.

Sorry I did not include this earlier, I was tired.

Hope this helps.
Old 3rd March 2009, 03:06 PM   #10
PeterO

Hi mjh

Slightly off-topic, apologies. Does this imply that where possible it always best to insert images which have been externally optimised to the exact size and resolution you want to use? E.g. Don't ever let WebPlus mangle your images? Apologies if I've read your post too literally.

Cheers
Peter
Old 3rd March 2009, 03:16 PM   #11
Ali
Guru

Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterO View Post
Hi mjh

Slightly off-topic, apologies. Does this imply that where possible it always best to insert images which have been externally optimised to the exact size and resolution you want to use? E.g. Don't ever let WebPlus mangle your images? Apologies if I've read your post too literally.

Cheers
Peter
Hi, Peter!

Yes, you have interpreteted correctly. Best to do ALL optimisation BEFORE placing the image, including rotations. Lon did some interesting comparisons a while back, if you do a search on image optimisation.

(Not Marilyn!)
WPX2-6 SITES: The Falcon Inn (X6) | Martin Sexton - Artist (X2) | Clover Greetings
(X6)
Old 3rd March 2009, 05:29 PM   #12
PeterO

Hi Ali

Many thanks for the clarification.. At the risk of going too far off topic your advice now makes sense.. I'm re-working our main site including some professional photos of Kim and I. They were rendering awful in preview. Optimised them to the exact size and resolution I wanted in Photoshop, results are no vastly improved. Hey ho!

Cheers
Peter
Old 3rd March 2009, 05:31 PM   #13
Ali
Guru

Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterO View Post
Hi Ali

Many thanks for the clarification.. At the risk of going too far off topic your advice now makes sense.. I'm re-working our main site including some professional photos of Kim and I. They were rendering awful in preview. Optimised them to the exact size and resolution I wanted in Photoshop, results are no vastly improved. Hey ho!

Cheers
Peter
Yes - it makes a huge difference.
WPX2-6 SITES: The Falcon Inn (X6) | Martin Sexton - Artist (X2) | Clover Greetings
(X6)
Old 3rd March 2009, 08:17 PM   #14
JimW

JimW is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali View Post
Yes - it makes a huge difference.
Ali,

I see you persuaded your artist client to get himself a proper domain name. Looks a little bit better imho.
Seems a shame that webplus has this continuing problem with graphic rendering. What about us poor financial advisers who can't afford any more programmes? 24billion trading loss and they give him 690k pension. makes you weep.

Jim W
Old 3rd March 2009, 08:31 PM   #15
PeterO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimW View Post
Ali,

What about us poor financial advisers who can't afford any more programmes? 24billion trading loss and they give him 690k pension. makes you weep.

Jim W

Stop weeping and start losing money. LOTS of it! Gordon and his cronies will don their superhero gear, swoop down upon you and litter you with lots of loverly lolly!

Cheers
Peter
Old 3rd March 2009, 08:35 PM   #16
metroart

metroart is on a distinguished road

Dear Development Team,

Your online support centre responded to me via email that if the issue I'd written them about -- Flash photos being wrongly resized much smaller in 11.0.6 -- "is not resolved in the [new 11.0.7] patch, it is advised to post in this thread as this is designed by the Development Team for Feedback on this particular patch."

While the *quality* of the Flash photos is somewhat better than in the version I bought a few months ago (11.0.1), and the sizing of the photos has also been improved (though still not quite right), there are now a new set of problems having to do with the positioning and number of lines of the captions attached to each of my gallery photos.

The Gallery Style that I use in the Flash photo wizard for all my slide shows is the 11th from the left of the 13 unnamed Gallery Styles listed at the top of the wizard frame. Please see the attached screen shots of the resulting images and captions.

In the one for the new patch, the caption has for some apparently arbitrary reason been dropped much lower in relation to the photo, leaving a gap and making it necessary to scroll the browser further down to see it, and worse, the caption is now truncated so that it only shows the first 2 lines, instead of the original 4, and even the 2nd line now cuts off the bottoms of lower-case letters like "g" and "y".

The captions were FINE in 11.0.1 -- both where they were positioned and the number of lines that could be shown. Please put everything back the way they were originally designed.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	flash-11.0.1.030.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	1637   Click image for larger version

Name:	flash-11.0.7.032.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	1638  
Old 3rd March 2009, 10:16 PM   #17
micknand

micknand is on a distinguished road

Hi

I've installed the patch and uploaded my updated site. The upload seems much slower than usual but the problem is that items have been misplaced on my site ( www.road-runner.org.uk ) is this to do with the patch or is it an error in the nut behind the mouse?

Await your responses with interest.

Mick

I have a good mind to give up living ....... and go shopping instead
Old 3rd March 2009, 11:16 PM   #18
Ali
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimW View Post
Ali,

I see you persuaded your artist client to get himself a proper domain name. Looks a little bit better imho.
Seems a shame that webplus has this continuing problem with graphic rendering. What about us poor financial advisers who can't afford any more programmes? 24billion trading loss and they give him 690k pension. makes you weep.

Jim W
Yes, I did, Jim. It's not so much the looks as the fact that in tabbed browsers I get the proper headings. It's also meant that he can host his form scripts, so everything is under one roof, so to speak. Glad someone noticed!
(X6)
Old 3rd March 2009, 11:39 PM   #19
E-Scot.net

E-Scot.net is on a distinguished road

I'm not starting this again.

Last edited by E-Scot.net; 3rd March 2009 at 11:51 PM. Reason: ..not worth it...!!
Old 4th March 2009, 01:44 AM   #20
In the bag

Post removed!