Go Back   Serif Software Forums > Design and Publishing > PagePlus

Notices

PagePlus Questions about using PagePlus for desktop publishing

Old 7th January 2009, 03:03 PM   #1
suew
Message imported from old Serif Forum

Lightbulb creating logo

Hi
I'm trying to create a logo using two intertwining letters - can this be done, has this been done?
many thanks
Sue W

Old 7th January 2009, 03:09 PM   #2
mjh

Lightbulb Re:*creating logo

Use the logo studio. I would use Artistic Text and make an object for each letter and then position one over the other.

mjh

WebPlus how-tos, tutorials and etc. - free www.foxhillers.com/webplus/

onD's web plus tutorials and demo site with forum http://www.dond.ulmb.com/

Old 7th January 2009, 03:28 PM   #3
suew

H- I've been playing with logo plus for most of the afternoon, but I can't work out how to get the letters to twist through each other ? Ouch! its starting to make my head hurt!
thanks
Sue

Old 7th January 2009, 03:41 PM   #4
mjh

Move each letter into the position you want on top of each other.

Attach you file, if you'd like.

mjh

WebPlus how-tos, tutorials and etc. - free www.foxhillers.com/webplus/

onD's web plus tutorials and demo site with forum http://www.dond.ulmb.com/

Old 7th January 2009, 05:07 PM   #5
Lon in California

Sue,

I did this rather quickly in DrawPlusX2, but might be able to reproduce it in PagePlus. Is this on track of what you are after?

There may be other ways to do this, but what I did was make multiple copies of the letter that is doing the intertwining. Then, using the erase tool, I carefully erased parts of the letters (will take a bit of pre-planning). And, finally, using the Arrange/Front/Back icons, I got the various parts arranged to look like they are intertwined (see screenshot 2)

Lon "all tangled" in California

Old 7th January 2009, 06:17 PM   #6
JamesF

Hi,
I don't have X3, but this was quickly done in P+X2.
I used 4 layers with 2 J's and 2 S's and the Transparency tool set on solid, once working from the top and once working from the bottom on separate layers (if that makes sense) ?

James

Old 7th January 2009, 10:05 PM   #7
suew

Hi Lon

that's exactly the finished result I need to reach - I'll have a go at it in the morning (I need sleeeeeep) and let you know how I get on - thanks for all the effort you've put in, you guys in these forums are pretty amazing!

I'll get back to you!

Sue

Old 7th January 2009, 10:11 PM   #8
suew

Hi James - wow, so simple - thankyou - I'll have a try at it in the morning and see what I can do

Sue

Old 7th January 2009, 10:14 PM   #9
suew

Hi - and thankyou - I've got a couple of methods to have a go with - many thanks for the offer of my sending you the file - if I get stuck, I will.

Sue - now smiling, and head not hurting quite so much

Old 7th January 2009, 11:56 PM   #10
'Awful Punster'

Hi Sue,

I'm afraid I've come rather late to the party, but I hope you don't mind if I throw another method into the mix. A common trick in DrawPlus is to use the Crop Tool for this kind of thing, and you can do the same in PagePlus:

1. Place your first letter (the blue one in the attached image) and Copy (Ctrl+C) to the Windows clipboard. Position the second letter on top.
2. Paste in Place (Ctrl+Alt+V) the copied first letter. Where you want the bottom letter to overlap the top one, cover the intersection with a small Quick Shape.
3. Select the small Quick Shape and Shift-click the newly pasted letter so both objects are selected.
4. Go to the Tools menu and choose 'Crop to Shape'.

Alfred

Old 8th January 2009, 03:19 AM   #11
Lon in California

Alfred,

Elegant and easy. I knew there was another way, but couldn't remember how. Thanks for helping Sue....

...and me!

Lon "tangled up once more" in California

Old 8th January 2009, 05:02 AM   #12
Brett

To everyone who helped-you guys are great.

Old 8th January 2009, 11:40 AM   #13
suew

Hi Alfred - and thankyou - you guys are absolutely amazing - I love these forums and hope that one day I'll be able to contribute !!!

cheers
Sue

Old 8th January 2009, 11:58 AM   #14
'Awful Punster'

You're welcome, Sue.

If you want the bottom letter to overlap the top one in more than one place, use multiple Quick Shapes and group them so that they're treated as a single object for cropping purposes.

Alfred

Old 8th January 2009, 07:35 PM   #15
Geoff Blanthorn

Lightbulb Re: creating logo

Alfred,

This question had me thinking of the old (very) Ask the Expert feature, as I had a feeling it was covered by one of the articles. I was surprised to find that the feature is still there, at http://www.serif.com/community/asktheexpert.asp, but I was wrong about intertwined letters being covered. Most of the items are outdated, being surperceded by features in later versions of PP, but some may still interest some "learners".

Geoff

Old 9th January 2009, 12:40 AM   #16
'Awful Punster'

Lightbulb Re: creating logo

Geoff,

I'm not particularly surprised that the Ask The Expert feature is still there: it's a very useful resource. Although some of the items are superseded by features in later versions of the various Serif programs, many are still valid; for example, recent versions of PhotoPlus have some interesting new 'Instant Artist' effects but I've never found a way of matching the results (and ease of use) of Lee Mulligan's ' Sketched Look http://www.serif.com/community/articles/20020416.asp' tutorial.

Alfred