Go Back   Serif Software Forums > Design and Publishing > PagePlus

Notices

PagePlus Questions about using PagePlus for desktop publishing

Old 5th January 2009, 12:35 AM   #1
John Martin
Message imported from old Serif Forum

Lightbulb Printing without Margins

Hi All,
I have pageplus 9 and am running XP pro sp2.

So I create a new project. In the page setup I select borderless 8.5 x 11 but the next time that I go back to page setup it is back to the default letter 8.5 x 11.

Aside from this I go to "Layout Guides" I set 0" margins for left, right, top and bottom with a two column setup and a 0.2" separator/gutter.

I use the "Quick Rectangle" tool to make a rectangle the size of the entire page and set it's "Line" to be a double solid black.

When I select print I choose properties from my HP D7560 (supports full page printing without borders/margins) and then select borderless 8.5 x 11 there too.

My print will either chop parts of the project and print to edges or it will chop parts off and print with white margins.

I have been fighting with this for a little over 2 weeks and have gone through 3 printers.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in Advance,
John

Old 5th January 2009, 06:04 AM   #2
Geoff Blanthorn

Lightbulb Re: Printing without Margins

John,

Welcome to the Forum.

If you set the page margins to zero all round, and then go to Tools/Save Defaults, you should find that when you open PP next time there will be no margins.

In PP9, if you draw a quick rectangle to fill the sheet, and the apply a line, you will find that half the line will be outside the page. You will see the size in the Change Bar increase. You can easily resize the rectangle to fit on the page again if you have snapping turned on.

I don't know about your printing problem. I haven't got a marginless printer. You should be able to see exactly what will print in Print Preview. Make sure you have the latest HP driver for your printer. If you are on Vista, that may be a problem, as PP9 is not Vista certified.

Geoff

Old 5th January 2009, 09:06 AM   #3
mjh

Good morning, Geoff

I wonder if John has a borderless printer. He mentioned neither make nor model. He's on XP Pro, so that shouldn't be a problem. And, as you pointed out, perhaps there's a printer driver issue.

mjh

WebPlus how-tos, tutorials and etc. - free www.foxhillers.com/webplus/

onD's web plus tutorials and demo site with forum http://www.dond.ulmb.com/

Old 5th January 2009, 03:29 PM   #4
John Martin

Hi All,
Thanks for the quick replies. I thought I mentioned the HP D7560. In any case I have a HP D7560 and it does do borderless printing. Its a photo printer.

Using PagePlus; I make a new project 8.5 x 11 landscape. Set no margins all the way around and then draw a rectangle and make its "Line" double - black - 3 pt.

The rectangle is out lining the inside of my 8.5 x 11 page. when I print there is no rectangle. I set the printer to do borderless-8.5x11 and tell PagePlus that it's borderless.

When it does print to the edge my stuff gets resized and blown half off of the page.

Old 5th January 2009, 03:41 PM   #5
mjh

John

Have you set the layout guides that show the printer's margins? I think it's on the page setup dialog box. I suspect that the 3pt line is really beyond the margin although you cannot see it.

mjh

WebPlus how-tos, tutorials and etc. - free www.foxhillers.com/webplus/

onD's web plus tutorials and demo site with forum http://www.dond.ulmb.com/

Old 5th January 2009, 05:59 PM   #6
WalterB

When my Canon printer is set to borderless I can choose in the printer dialogue how much 'extension' which I understand means how much of the edges of the printing will be off the paper. Certainly the rectangle you draw must be less than the paper size to allow for the line thickness. Print preview should show the line.
I believe that Page plus sends whatever is within the document edges to the driver irrespective of the margin setting which is really just a layout guide.
Have you tried setting the margins 'from printer' then draw your rectangle outside the blue lines and see what print preview shows and actual print?
Hope this helps

Walter

Old 5th January 2009, 07:18 PM   #7
John Martin

Hi Walter. Yes I know that the layout guide is really just some blue marker lines. I have also told this to get the margins from the printer. It leaves them as 0's, I'm guessing because I have the printer set to use 8.5 x 11 Borderless too.

In the "Page Setup" is where I tell Page Plus that I would like Borderless-8.5"x11" and it resets itself every time.

The ruler guides around my canvas are right on the money 8.5 tall and 11 wide. If I put a small colored box in each corner and print there is nothing there. If I bring them all in a half an inch or so they all appear. If I only put colored boxes in 2 corners they print fine.

Strange stuff happens when I have the page divided into two sides too. I make a rectangle that fits in half of the page and then copy and past it. I move it to the opposite side. So now I should have a page in landscape with two black rectangles on it. Only the center of the page has parts of the rectangle on it. The top, bottom and outsides are missing. The center does print the lines clear to the edge of the paper though. Now if I delete one of the rectangles the other prints just fine but it somehow gets moved closer to the center of the page.

My printer doesn't give an actual print preview. It just shows me the layout with a gray box and a blue triangle in it.

Thanks,
John

Old 5th January 2009, 08:21 PM   #8
WalterB

On:05/01/2009 18:18:51 - John Martin wrote:
Quote:
My printer doesn't give an actual print preview. It just shows me the layout with a gray box and a blue triangle in it.
You can do a print preview in page plus. It is the icon with a magnifying glass and is next to the 'Print' icon.

I am not aware of any way to "tell Page Plus that I would like Borderless-8.5"x11"". If you do it via 'page set up/printer set up' you are setting up the printer driver for the time that document is open.
I suspect you will have to play with the rectangle position/size till you get what you want (using print preview)

Walter

Old 6th January 2009, 07:49 AM   #9
Bill Schuhle

John,

If I understand correctly what it is you're trying to do, I'm thinking the attached PDF file might print correctly with your printer set to "borderless". Give it a try if you would and let me know (either from Reader or from PP9).

Bill Schuhle

Old 7th January 2009, 12:30 AM   #10
G Blanthorn

John,

I hae downloaded the driver for HP D7560 for XP, and installed the printer. As far as I can see (I do not have the actual printer) using Print Preview in PP9 (File/Print Preview) with the printer set for borderless printing on Letter size paper, there is no problem. The Preview shews exactly what is on the page.

Attached is the PP9 file I "printed" from. How does it work for you?

Geoff