Go Back   Serif Software Forums > Photos and Movies > PhotoPlus

Notices

PhotoPlus Questions about using PhotoPlus for photo editing

Old 4th September 2008, 08:14 AM   #1
smits
Message imported from old Serif Forum

Lightbulb Channel mixer: Blur on blue and sharpen on red

I've read elsewhere the comment (incomplete) that "...blur on the blue channel and sharpen on the red channel; it's standard image editing practice. Do not use unsharp mask."

As a newbie, and often having difficulties choosing which method of sharpening to use depending on the image, that hint was a revelation to me and wanted to know how to go about doing that. I can guess, but would like to know the steps from someone who does understand how to do this. I use PPX2 (recently upgraded). Thank you.

Old 4th September 2008, 07:19 PM   #2
Ken Cope

Lightbulb Re:*Channel mixer: Blur on blue and sharpen on red

Hello smits,

Welcome to the forum.

Sorry to sound so flippant, but it all depends on the image - or "how long is a piece of string?". I tend to treat each image as an individual entity - so much depends on original lighting and exposure, that it's very hard to give a general answer. It's another reason for not attempting to do this with a macro (Action in Photoshop speak).

If you want to:
On:04/09/2008 07:14:01 - smits wrote:
Quote:
"...blur on the blue channel and sharpen on the red channel
in PhotoPlus, it's relatively straightforward as PhotoPlus treats channels the same way as layers - individually.

See the Php_Channels screenshot. This shows the Channel tab with the red channel visible in isolation and selected. The workspace shows just the red channel, a greyscale image. You can paint (using a greyscale brush) onto this channel, use an effect (like blur, ripple, stained glass) on just this channel, it won't effect any other channel.

To add blur to the blue channel or sharpen the red it appears as though you are about to affect the whole image. Not so. When opening up the image to add the blur or sharpen (or any other effect) the 'Filter Gallery' pops up with the RGB channels showing, but the work will be carried out on the pre-selected channel only. It serves only to provide feedback for the optional settings (amount of blur etc.). This can be a bit confusing as it appears as though it will affect the whole image.

Again, it's a bit like "taste it and see". If it works to your liking, fine - if not, just hit the History tab, backtrack and try again. It really is down to taste - and that's a highly subjective matter.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Perhaps someone else may be able to chip in with more info.

Ken (Major Confusion)
Sharing the FUN with Serif Software] http://www.major-confusion.co.uk/ [/url]

Old 4th September 2008, 07:40 PM   #3
Jim B.

Lightbulb Re:*Channel mixer: Blur on blue and sharpen on red

On:9/4/2008 7:14:01 AM - smits wrote:
Quote:
"...blur on the blue channel and sharpen on the red channel; it's standard image editing practice.
Er... no, it is not "standard" editing practice, even if/though several people on a particular photo board or forum all might do such a technique.

Images/photos are rarely ever exactly the same, so the same image post-processing does not apply to every image.

The red and blue photodetectors for each camera are different.

The "end effect" you are editing for is different on every photo.

Each lens bends red and blue differently to a slightly different focal point (better [more expensive] lenses do a better job of focusing all the light at a single point).

Each photo image editor "processes" images differently.

Do whatever image editing works for your desired effect instead of just following a "standard practice".

Jim B. :> )

What? Who? When? No. Really?