Go Back   Serif Software Forums > Design and Publishing > PagePlus

Notices

PagePlus Questions about using PagePlus for desktop publishing

Old 10th August 2007, 04:18 PM   #1
Julian Tall
Message imported from old Serif Forum

Lightbulb PDFing a PagePlus file

Hi there & HELP! ?

I am a new user of PagePlus, and so far am very impressed by it, however I am encountering a problem with a leaflet, which I have published.

This PagePlus file is 2 meg, but when I publish it as a pdf, it suddenly GROWS to 32 meg.

I have even tried to print the file as a pdf, using my separate pdf file software. This is better, but even here the file size increases to 5 meg.

It is quite important to decrease the size, so that it becomes more manageable to send to my clients by e-mail, and I always thought that PDF fulfilled this function.

So why does my file keep getting bigger when I pdf it?

More importantly, how can I make my file smaller and in a format so that it can be viewed by my clients.

Any assistance would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks.
Julian

Old 10th August 2007, 07:16 PM   #2
Lon in California

Lightbulb Re:*PDFing a PagePlus file

On:8/10/2007 3:18:29 PM - Julian Tall wrote:
Quote:
how can I make my file smaller and in a format so that it can be viewed by my clients.
Julian,

Also consider getting a free download of CutePdf Writer here www.cutepdf.com. It creates a standard .pdf file, but a whole lot smaller than what PP does. I do a newsletter for my Rotary group that comes out at a whopping 6.21MB using Cutepdf. You don't even want to know how big it was using PPs built-in pdf writer.

Lon " PDF'd " in California

Old 10th August 2007, 07:48 PM   #3
Bhikkhu Pesala

PDF files often do get bigger, especially if graphics are linked and not embedded. You can reduce the size by reducing the graphics quality. Try using the Web Normal or Web Compact profiles.

If you want to get the best results check out this post http://www.serif.com/forum/ViewThrea...d=24444#166370 and this old thread http://www.serif.com/forum/ViewThrea...ad=11487#85930 documenting my struggle to reduce PDF file size. However, that takes a lot of time, so the above advice to use the Web Normal or Web Compact profiles may be the easiest solution if your document contains a lot of images.

In brief, to get the best quality with the smallest file size (always bound to be a trade off here), optimise each image when placing it in Page Plus, and don't downsample images any further on producing the PDF.

PagePlus Versions http://homepage.ntlworld.com/pesala/.../pageplus.html • My Fonts http://www.aimwell.org/Fonts/fonts.html

Old 10th August 2007, 08:03 PM   #4
Jim B.

On:8/10/2007 3:18:29 PM - Julian Tall wrote:
Quote:
when I publish it as a pdf, it suddenly GROWS to 32 meg
Yup, PagePlus can sometimes do that for you!

If altering the various settings in PagePlus's PDF output options doesn't result is a sufficiently small file for your needs, try changing your document to remove "effects" from your images and graphics.

And if altering the PP settings or changing your document doesn't work well enough, then maybe one of the many "add-on" PDF programs would work.

Furzample, years ago, I got a PDF program called Nik Nak, now called JAWS PDF Creator http://www.jawspdf.com/pdf_creator/index.html by Global Graphics, for use with various programs that at the time didn't have PDF output capability. It installs on your computer as though it was a mechanical printer. To use the program, go to File > Print, then select the JAWS "printer" from the dropdown list of printers.

I use this program with PagePlus for those times when the PP PDF file is too large. JAWS PDF Creator can often (but not always) create a PDF file that is significantly smaller than PP's PDF file.

Jim B. :> )

If you just stand there and point your camera, you're only seeing what every other person sees. What are the odds that the very best angle is from 5-6 feet off the ground every time?

Old 10th August 2007, 11:53 PM   #5
Sixwheels

Julian,

It's truly strange that you're having this problem, because I've always found PagePlus' PDF output to be quite good and small. Recently, I created a six by nine book of short stories, containing a full color cover, and some illustrations, which topped out at 264 pages. When I turn this into a PDF, it is 2.9 MB. If I take the cover out of the equation, the PDF file size goes down to 1.6.

I also recently scanned a small book of 64 pages with about eight photographs in it, reformatted it all in PagePlus, then output the file as a PDF. This file is 2 MB. The only thing I can figure is that it must be your settings. I have attached some pictures of my settings; I hope they help.

Old 12th August 2007, 01:50 PM   #6
Julian

Lightbulb Re: PDFing a PagePlus file

Hi Lon,
Thanks for your tip, actually, I am already using CutePdf and agree that it is a great piece of software. This is better than the PDF feature in PagePlus, but it is still 5-6 meg, which is a bit too big to send out to clients.
It is good know that this is a problem with PP, and not just my imagination.
Best regards
Julian

Old 12th August 2007, 01:53 PM   #7
Julian

Hi Bhikku,
Thanks very much. Quite a lot of my images are already optimised, but I will give it a go, in case I am missing out on a trick. Once I get a bit of time later, I will also have a look at the old thread, see if this helps.
Thanks for your advice.
Best regards
Julian

Old 12th August 2007, 01:55 PM   #8
Julian

Hi Jim,
It is good to know it is not just my imagination.
The "remove effects" seems like a good option worth checking, so I will let you know how it goes.
Best regards
Julian
p.s. cool photo tip by the way!

Old 12th August 2007, 02:02 PM   #9
Julian

Cheers Sixwheels!
Yes, I agree I did it very strange myself, although it now seems like I am not the only one. I have started altering the settings down to 150 dpi, but this had no effect.
Thanks for taking the time to send the pictures of your settings - I will have a close look and see if there is anything obvious, which I have missed.
Best regards
Julian

Old 13th August 2007, 04:43 AM   #10
reggie

I just "discovered" that I was embedding ALL my fonts into my PDF files.
Once I de-selected that option, my PDF file sizes were greatly reduced.
Hope this helps.
Reggie

Old 13th August 2007, 11:12 AM   #11
Bhikkhu Pesala

If you are using fonts that your clients not sure to have installed on their PCs (e.g. most of the fonts installed with Serif products), then it is best to embed the fonts, otherwise formatting will go awry when they open the PDF file. To reduce PDF file size, use fewer fonts.

PagePlus Versions http://homepage.ntlworld.com/pesala/.../pageplus.html • My Fonts http://www.aimwell.org/Fonts/fonts.html

Old 13th August 2007, 01:35 PM   #12
Julian

Lightbulb PDFing a PagePlus file - sort of summary

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all your help and advise over last couple of days. This is a big help.

In summary - in case it helps anyone in the future - the main two lessons are:

1) optimising images - this is fairly evident, although one thing I did not realise is that if I inserted my photo and then cropped within PagePlusX2, this did not actually cut or delete the excess part of the image, but kept it embedded in the file.

So , for example, in a group 2 meg photo of 10 people, if I inserted into PP, then used PP to crop the image so that ONLY ONE person is shown - so roughly speaking 1/10th of the photo -, the full photo is still embedded at 2 meg into the file.

By cropping in a separate editor (e.g. Paint Shop Pro or Photoshop), you reduce the file size.

2) When "Publishing as PDF", use the "Publish Profile" in the "General" Tab to reduce to Web Normal or Web Compact.

As earlier pointed out, you can fine tune this in the "Compression" Tab, but Web Normal and Web Compact are a good starting point.

I couldn't work out how to "remove effects" from the file, and this may lead to more reduction in the file size.

My colour swatch has turned grey in the PDF, but I am sure this just comes down to some finetuning.

So now things are a lot more manageable, thanks to the help of the guys in the community (see all above).

The only thing still on my mind is that I still do not understand why the PDF'ed file remains larger than then the PP original. To my untechnical mind, PDF's reduce the file size (as well as many other things), and this does not seem to be the case with PP files. I suppose some things are just not meant to be!

Best regards
Julian

Old 13th August 2007, 06:09 PM   #13
Bhikkhu Pesala

Lightbulb Re:*PDFing a PagePlus file - sort of summary

On:13/08/2007 12:35:54 - Julian wrote:
Quote:
To my untechnical mind, PDF's reduce the file size (as well as many other things), and this does not seem to be the case with PP files.
If the PP files contain linked images they will very much smaller than the PDF output because they don't include the images.

If the images are embedded, then the output file should be smaller because the images are compressed in the PDF file.

However, the PP file does not contain any embedded fonts, while the PDF file does. If the file contains lots of different fonts, then the PDF file will grow substantially.

If the PP file contains italic or bold attributes of fonts that do not have an italic or bold typestyle, again the file size will grow substantially as the text is converted to curves in the PDF file.

Test:
• Fill text frame with Placeholder text.
• Apply Ancestry SF font.
• Save as PP file (28 K)
• Publish as PDF (15K)
• Apply bold to one paragraph
• Publish as PDF (201K)

Old 13th August 2007, 06:21 PM   #14
Bill Schuhle

Lightbulb Re: PDFing a PagePlus file - sort of summary

On:8/13/2007 12:35:54 PM - Julian wrote:
Quote:
I still do not understand why the PDF'ed file remains larger than then the PP original.
I think this is down to the fact that PP is normally set to *link* rather than embed imported images above a nominal size (256K?). This means the image is not actually part of the PP file, but rather "called up" from its location on your hard drive when needed for display or printing. This keeps the PP file small as it's more of a "recipe" calling for ingredients (fonts, images, etc.) than a baked cake. If you send such a PP file to another computer that's also running PP, you'll need include all the linked files in addition to the PP file so that they will be available for "call up" on that computer as well.

When you create a PDF file on the other hand, you're creating a "baked cake" that has all the ingredients included -- all the fonts & images -- so that it can be safely transported for viewing and printing on any computer running a PDF reader.

This is why, even though the PDF creation process normally uses compression and therefore would likely create a smaller file than a PP source file that had all the images *embedded*, it still can be larger than a PP file that had the images stored separately and "linked." Does that help any?

Bill Schuhle

Old 13th August 2007, 07:36 PM   #15
Lon in California

On:8/13/2007 5:22:00 PM - Bill Schuhle wrote:
Quote:
Does that help any?

Bill,

Actually that does help...more than you know. It helps me understand the process better, and it also helps Marilyn get her cake after all. She was accusing me of trying to FAX a cake to her...to pay off a bet. Little did I know that I can just create a PagePlus PDF file and send that off to her.

Case closed. Debt paid. "Cake" delivered. You're a lifesaver, Bill.

Lon "Cooking w/PagePlus" in California

Old 13th August 2007, 08:59 PM   #16
mjh

Oh, no you don't Lon........... you ain't getting off that easy.

Old 13th August 2007, 09:41 PM   #17
Lon in California

Marilyn,

Your PagePlus Brownies are almost done!!!

EDIT: "Ding!!" The timer went off. That was just way too easy. Here you go, Marilyn!!

Lon " PagePlus Bakeoff Underway" in California

Old 13th August 2007, 10:17 PM   #18
mjh

Dearest Lon

Either you've forgotten (Rx=Ginkgo biloba) or you are trying to pull a fast one.

The brownies are half baked and are no acceptable substitute for real chocolate cake with butter cream icing.

So, now, you owe me THREE!

Old 13th August 2007, 10:32 PM   #19
Lon in California

On:8/13/2007 9:17:24 PM - mjh wrote:
Quote:
(Rx=Ginkgo biloba)

Try Phosphatydle Choline...much more effective!!

Find "3", fully-embedded, great big fat .pdf file goodies below!!

Lon "The Little Cake Baker" in California

Old 14th August 2007, 07:32 AM   #20
Bill Schuhle

On:8/13/2007 6:36:05 PM - Lon in California wrote:
Quote:
You're a lifesaver, Bill.
Based on what follows, I'm torn between "Glad I could be of assistance" and "What have I gotten myself in the middle of here?"

Bill Schuhle

P.S. Nice job, BTW -- you've become quite proficient with the PP "oven"