Go Back   Serif Software Forums > Design and Publishing > PagePlus

Notices

PagePlus Questions about using PagePlus for desktop publishing

Old 21st April 2007, 04:03 PM   #1
Jem
Message imported from old Serif Forum

Lightbulb Printing problems

Hi
I've just started using PP X2. I like the program and everything works fine under vista business. However, i'm having trouble printing anything out. I have an Oki CN5400 colour Laser printer.

I know the printer is working O.K. as all other programs have no difficulty in printing documents over the network, it just seems to be X2. It won't print anything at all in PCL mode, and in PS mode I get a timeout error.

Any suggestions greatfully received ?

Cheers

Jem
Old 22nd April 2007, 01:28 PM   #2
Mike Keller

Lightbulb Re: Printing problems

Jem

Hmm, just out of curiosity, what happens if you make a PDF of your PPX2 document (File/Publish as PDF) and then print the PDF version?

Mike
Old 22nd April 2007, 06:29 PM   #3
Jem

Hi Mike

If I try to print a PDF that has been saved from a PP X2 file and then re-opened in PP X2 (as a pdf) it won't print. If I open the PDF file in Adobe reader it seems to print O.K. (i'm still researching and testing this one) ?

As I implied, the problem seems to be contained somewhere within X2.

If I try to print in PCL mode it won't print at all. In PS mode I will perhaps get one line of text from the page and the rest of the sheet is blank. This is usually followed by a blank page that says Error: Timeout, Offending Command: Timeout.

Hope this helps to shed some light on the problem. I have no problems at all printing from within Word, Excel, and all other programs.

Cheers

Jem
Old 22nd April 2007, 08:49 PM   #4
Mike Brett

Jem:

Another "just for interest" question.... If you set the printer inside PagePlus to your Oki, then try a Print Preview, presumably that looks OK on screen? It's only the actual print-to-paper stage that's not working, is it?

(Another) - Mike -

Add yourself to the Serif Community Buddy Map http://www.buddymapping.com/maps/serif_community
Old 22nd April 2007, 09:24 PM   #5
Jem

Correct Mike

Everything looks fine in print preview. It just wont print.

Jem
Old 22nd April 2007, 10:44 PM   #6
Geoff Blanthorn

Jem,

Have you tried "Rasterize whole page" on the Prepress tab?

Or "Print directly to the printer" on the printer's spool settings?

Can you "Print to file" and then print from that file?

Geoff
Old 24th April 2007, 10:43 PM   #7
Jem

I spoke to Serif Technical Support. It appears that there is a potential problem if the path to the printer and the printer name combined exceed 32 characters. I'm using the printer over a netowrk and it's connected to a print server so the path and name DO exceed this limit.

I haven't had chance to rename the printer as yet as it means I will have to reset all the computers on my home network, but Tech support seem to think this will solve the problem.

On another note... I would just like to thank Tech Support at Serif. They are always soooo helpful and patient. Thanks folks

Cheers

Jem
Old 29th April 2007, 01:10 PM   #8
Jem

Damn, Damn, & Damn !!!

I've now changed my network printer name to be less than the 32 character limit and i've still got the problem.

THIS IS SOOOO FRUSTRATING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All I want to do is print out my work

Currently i'm feeling like scrapping X2 altogether and reverting to PP11. Serif Tech Support, here's prior warning... Please be waiting for my call on Monday morning
Old 1st May 2007, 05:53 PM   #9
Johnny Blue

Geoff
I'm having the same problem with PP11 and Vista (PP11 patched 11.1 for Vista), and have spent the entire afternoon on the Microsoft and HP websites, looking for a solution, until I realized it was only PP11 that gave me the problem. (Doh!)

Your idea of rasterizing works: at last I've got a page printed out, BUT the small print (Verdana 8.0 point) looks a bit blurred and faint. Any ideas how to fix this, or is it a consequence of rasterizing (whatever that is)?
Old 1st May 2007, 09:23 PM   #10
Geoff Blanthorn

Johnny,

Above the box on the Prepress tab for "Rasterize entire page" you can specify the rasterize resolution. If you increase that figure the small print should be clearer. Try 400 instead of the default 200. It will probably take longer to print.

Geoff
Old 2nd May 2007, 01:52 PM   #11
Johnny Blue

Geoff

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried printing at resolution 600 (the native resolution of my HP Laserjet 5L), but this time ALL the text (even 24 point) was fuzzy!

I've contacted Serif support about this issue, but I'm not holding my breath...

Edit: actually, I've just discovered that the problem doesn't relate generally to PP11, but only to templates that I'd created in PP10! Printing other (PP11-modified) documents seems to work fine so far...
Old 2nd May 2007, 10:19 PM   #12
Jem

Alas, I still have the problem.

It MUST be something to do with Serif because ALL my other programs work perfectly and print out perfectly without any problems. For some reason though PP X2 just refuses to print out. I've tried every combination of options regarding printing from within X2 and it just doesn't want to know.

Ah well...

Jem
Old 2nd May 2007, 11:07 PM   #13
Richard Hunt

Which printer driver version are you using? According to Oki's UK web site there are no Vista-specific drivers for the C5400 but there are both PS and PCL drivers for XP http://www.oki.co.uk/fcgi-bin/public...8&languageId=1

http://www.oki.co.uk/fcgi-bin/public.fcgi?pid=37&cid=125&chid=10&pdflag=2&prid=4 65&pncid=8&nid=5701[/url] says:

"Two printer drivers are supplied with your printer: one for PCL emulation and the other for PostScript 3 emulation.
Choose the PCL driver if you print mainly from general "Office" applications.
Choose the PostScript driver if you print mainly from professional DTP and graphics applications or want faster PDF printing.
Ref: CN06-8-BC5U"

Richard
Old 3rd May 2007, 10:38 AM   #14
Jem

Hi Richard

The drivers i'm using are as follows...

Postcript Printer Driver
Version 5.2 (6.0.6000.16386)
PPD Filename: OK540NU1.ppd
PPD Version 1.0

PCL Driver
Version 1.1.0

I still can't understand why everything else works perfectly. Either i've missed some setting in PP X2 or there is something within the way that X2 handles the printing that is stopping it working.

Now that the Vista patch is available i'm going to install PP11 on this laptop and see if that works... Watch this space

Cheers

Jem
Old 8th May 2007, 11:35 AM   #15
Brin

Was having a problem printing multiple copies of an X2 document to an HP Laserjet 2200. It would only print one when I told it to print 12. Consulted this forum, tried the rasterize setting, no difference, tried the "Print direct to printer" spool setting and that seems to have solved it.
Old 11th May 2007, 10:11 PM   #16
Jem

Installed PP11 and the Vista patch. Doesn't work ?

There IS obviously some sort of problem with Vista and Serif software. Damned if I know what it is though

Does anyone know of an EASY way to fully install printer drivers in Vista. I'm thinking of uninstalling ALL the drivers and re-installing them in a different order.

Cheers

Jem
Old 12th May 2007, 12:13 AM   #17
Richard Hunt

Are you able to physically connect a different printer to the PC and try that?
If you e-mai me one of your ppp file's I'll see if it prints here.
Richard Hunt
Old 12th May 2007, 01:01 PM   #18
Jem

Thanks for the reply Richard.

You'll probably have realised that I meant an easy way to UNinstall the drivers.

I am able to connect to my printer via a direct USB connection and that works o.k.

It does appear to be only Serif software that has trouble printing to my printer via my print server, this even applies if I connect direct to the printer via the network.

I know my files are o.k. as I still have my old laptop up and running and everything works o.k. on that. It's running XP SP2.

Cheers

Jem