Go Back   Serif Software Forums > Design and Publishing > PagePlus

Notices

PagePlus Questions about using PagePlus for desktop publishing

Old 4th March 2007, 09:02 PM   #1
gm10
Message imported from old Serif Forum

Lightbulb Editing EPS, PSD, AI files in Serif programs

I am planning to order a logo for my company from one of the companies on the Internet. Something like this http://www.iqlogo.com one. This particular company supplies design in EPS, PSD, AI, JPG, TIF and Gif formats.
Will I be able to edit any of EPS, PSD, AI files in one of the Serif products if I need to in the future?

Thanks in advance for the help,

gm

Old 4th March 2007, 09:25 PM   #2
KeithSloan

Lightbulb Re: Editing EPS, PSD, AI files in Serif programs

Not sure about Serif as I only use PagePlus which is great.

But XaraX extreme will edit EPS AI,JPG,TIF and GIF

and XaraX extreme professional will also edit PSD.

You might try the PhotoPlus forum.

Old 4th March 2007, 11:18 PM   #3
MikeR

DrawPlus can open PSD files and others have reported that AI are essentially PDF format, so should open if the extension is changed. I presume the latter is also true of PagePlus.

Mike

Old 5th March 2007, 03:36 AM   #4
gm10

Keith, Mike,
Thanks a lot for the help.

gm

Old 5th March 2007, 04:12 AM   #5
Jim B.

Lightbulb Re:*Editing EPS, PSD, AI files in Serif programs

<sales pitch = "on">

For the price that IQLogo is charging for their "Corporate Special" package, you could get Serif's DrawPlus and create an endless supply of designs whenever and as often as needed, with unlimited revisions and full copyright ownership. Use any of the included designs as inspiration for your own, or alter them to make them your own.

Plus, you would have the "native" files from which to make as many changes and variants as you desired.

<sales pitch = "off">

EPS isn't intended to be edited (although some programs can open and edit EPS); it is a file designed to be sent to a printer.

DrawPlus and PhotoPlus can open and edit JPG, TIF, and GIF. I think they can also open and edit PSD (I've never tried it).

I think .AI file format is close enough to .PSD file format that if you change the .AI to .PSD then you can open the .AI/PSD file (I've never tried it).

Jim B. :> )

Member of the Pet Rock Owners and Breeders Association, offering boarding and training at reasonable rates.

Old 6th March 2007, 01:55 AM   #6
gm10

Jim,

I do have DP. It's the other component that is missing - creativity. I've done a little bit reading on DTP. Just enough to tell an amature job from a pro, but it did not make me a pro.
Actually I am looking for the whole package - logo, business card, letter and envelope. I'd rather leave it for pro's.

Regards,

gm

Old 6th March 2007, 12:56 PM   #7
RichardS ~UK

Lightbulb Good books about DTP

On:06/03/2007 00:55:57 - gm10 wrote:
Quote:
I've done a little bit reading on DTP...I'd rather leave [logos] for pro's
gm,

I sympathise. However, three little books helped me start DTP (on my Acorn ~1990):

"DTP at a glance," Rob Pickering, ISBN 1-85550-002-7.
"The MAC is not a Typewriter," Robin Williams, ISBN 0-938151-31-2.
"The Non-Designer's Design Book," Robin Williams, ISBN 1-56609-159-4.

Serif's program guides now give useful tips, and of course we now have masses of useful info. on the Internet, but simple books like these are still relevant.

Richard

Old 6th March 2007, 04:12 PM   #8
Bill Schuhle

gm,

I will second Richard's recommendation of "The Non-Designer's Design Book" as an excellent reference. It is a small, but concise guide to very important basic priniciples of design.

Also, as Richard mentioned, there are lots of great resouces on the web. One that I'm aware of since I frequent the forums there is to be found at:

http://desktoppub.about.com/

About.com also has forums on Graphics Software, Graphic Design, and Type & Fonts in case you're interested.

Bill Schuhle

Old 6th March 2007, 06:18 PM   #9
Jim B.

For those who are interested in the aforementioned books by Robin Williams, take a look at a box set consisting of three of Williams' work:

The Non-Designer's Collection published May 12, 2006 by Peachpit Press:

ISBN-10: 032139237X
ISBN-13: 978-0321392374

...and consisting of these individual titles:

The Non-Designer's Web Book, Third Edition, September 16, 2005
The Non-Designer's Design Book, Second Edition, September 15, 2003
The Non-Designer's Type Book, Second Edition, September 22, 2005

According to the description on Amazon.com, these books are non-platform and non-software specific. From a comment on the Amazon page, the books are in a slip-case that is large enough for 4 books, but the space of the 4th book is filled by a spacer. A store-bought set is said to include a T-shirt in place of the spacer.

Publisher's price is US$70.

Amazon.com price is US$44.

Barns & Noble Booksellers regular price is US$70. Members of the B & N Club price is US$63. Hmmm. I think I won't be getting the set from B & N.

Jim B. :> )

Member of the Pet Rock Owners and Breeders Association, offering boarding and training at reasonable rates.

Old 6th March 2007, 08:05 PM   #10
Stéphane Bergeron

Let me add my voice to the recommendation for Robin Williams' books. Also, as PagePlus is getting more and more sophisticated with typography and since typography is probably one of the most important aspects of good design, I would recommend James Felici's "The Complete Manual Of Typography". It may be a bit dry for some people although the author's writing style is engaging but it's a fabulous book:

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Manual-Typography-James-Felici/dp/0321127307

Finally, one of the best investments I made for practical material regarding DTP and design in general is the PDF version of Before & After magazine. Every issue is a very task oriented, hands-on guide to a very focused project with clear explanations on why certain design decisions were made. They are also a great source of inspiration. When you subscribe you get access to a large backlog of previously published issues. At $24 for 32 articles I think its a bargain (much like Serif software ). They offer 3 issues as free downloads to check them out before subscribing:

http://www.bamagazine.com/

HTH!

Old 6th March 2007, 10:14 PM   #11
gm10

It's amazing, how many people all over the world were touched by Robin Williams. She is awesome. Her tiny B&W "The Non-Designer's Design Book" does not need 32 bit colour to read like a thriller. "The Non-Designer's Type Book" too was an eye opener.
Thanks for bringing Robin Williams' name up.

B&A is great too. Even for a non-pro like myself. The printed version is worth extra few $s. It includes all the online privilages, but also you can see in flesh what John Mcwade is teaching about.

Regards

gm