Go Back   Serif Software Forums > Design and Publishing > PagePlus

Notices

PagePlus Questions about using PagePlus for desktop publishing

Old 22nd May 2006, 10:00 AM   #1
Gerry
Message imported from old Serif Forum

Lightbulb compatibility of PagePlus web pages.

Hi, I'm not very familiar with PagePlus but note they advise setting out for a screen resolution of 800x600 "since this is the most popular". It isn't of course, 1024x768 is used by about 70% of users. I was looking at a friends PagePlus web site and the layout is appalling at 1024x768. Looking at the source it uses absolute pixel positioning which of course is a disaster unless you write for different resolutions and sense the users resolution. Who would try that ? Is this inexperience by the user or is this how PagePlus works ?

Old 22nd May 2006, 01:36 PM   #2
'Awful Punster'

Lightbulb Re:compatibility of PagePlus web pages.

Gerry,

&nbsp; >>> 1024x768 is used by about 70% of users <<<

I'm one of them. I wonder how many others usually have a sidebar open as I do, leaving an 800-pixel width for the main browser pane.

For what it's worth, given its original focus on paper publishing I don't find it at all surprising that PagePlus uses absolute positioning in Web Mode.

Alfred

Click here to visit my Serif-related pages http://serif.awfulpunster.info' onMo..."";return true

Old 22nd May 2006, 07:28 PM   #3
Jim B.

>> I was looking at a friends PagePlus web site and the layout is appalling at 1024x768. <<

Er... what, specifically was "appalling"?

>> Looking at the source it uses absolute pixel positioning which of course is a disaster... <<

Why is absolute pixel positioning a disaster?

Seems to me that with absolute positioning, EVERYthing on the page would be positioned relative to (typically) the upper left corner of the screen, which means that every item or object would be exactly in the same position (so many pixels to the right and down from the upper-left corner) and have exactly the same size (so many pixels width and height) on any monitor size using any screen size setting. And this means that any design that you create, would look exactly the same on any monitor.

Jim B. :> )

Life - the original Reality show! And no annoying V-chip or rating system!

Old 24th May 2006, 03:41 PM   #4
Gerry

with absolute positioning the page gets a smaller and smaller percentage of your screen the higher the screen resolution. to keep the same "view" you need relative positioning. you obviously haven't tried it.
Also everything has to be pixel absolute. i can only guess PagePlus doesn't warn about this.
Here's a link to a screen capture, i think you will find it appalling with all the overlaying elements.
http://www.knight-gkla.supanet.com/test/website.jpg
You'll see the right-hand side is blank, the difference between 800 and 1024 pixels.

Old 24th May 2006, 03:54 PM   #5
Patrick Connor

I have been to the site and it looks fine for me. The site looks so bad for you because I suspect you have large screen fonts and IE re-interprets the requests for one size font and displays with another. If your friend goes to File> "Site Properties" and ticks the force absolute text size. Next time he publishes you will see it as designed despite your large fonts setting.

As far as I can see this has nothing to do with screen size.
Patrick Connor

:seriffooterPConnor839:}

Old 24th May 2006, 09:10 PM   #6
Andy H

the actual site looks fine to me, using IE6, screen res 1280 x 1024. true there is white space, but that doesn't deter me, if a site is interesting I'll stay whatever the resolution, (apart from horizontal scroll bars)

Andy

Old 24th May 2006, 09:20 PM   #7
G Blanthorn

Gerry,

It looks good to me too. I suggest you get a decent browser (like opera). Your problem is with M$IE, not PP!

Geoff

Old 25th May 2006, 09:42 AM   #8
Gerry

Well thanks for all the suggestions but now I'm really worried. IE text size makes no difference. I've downloaded Opera and it looks the same using that.
The site in question is www.belpercelebration.com if you all are seeing this ok it must be my setup. I don't normally have any problems.

Old 25th May 2006, 09:45 AM   #9
Dave P

Looks fine from here too Gerry using Opera, IE, Firefox or Maxthon.

Dave

Old 25th May 2006, 01:37 PM   #10
'Awful Punster'

Gerry,

&nbsp; >>> IE text size makes no difference <<<

Do you have IE set to ignore font sizes specified on web pages (via the 'Accessibility...' button on the General tab when you go to 'Tools > Internet Options...')?&nbsp; Are you, as Patrick suggested, using Large Fonts in your display settings?

&nbsp; >>> I've downloaded Opera and it looks the same using that <<<

What browser did you use for your screenshot?&nbsp; I see something similar in Firefox if I increase the text size from the default, but I can't understand how "it looks the same" using Opera: unlike Firefox, which only zooms text, Opera zooms the whole page.

Alfred

Old 25th May 2006, 02:43 PM   #11
Gerry

i have no special set up for text in IE. the first browser was IE, but i downloaded opera and got this. the menu looks similar to me although the right hand side is different. have atttached both

Old 25th May 2006, 04:33 PM   #12
Gary Russell

My setup:
monitor 1280X1024 with Large Fonts
Seamonkey 1.0.1

I can view that website just fine.

Old 25th May 2006, 04:55 PM   #13
Sarah Woodhouse

Hi Gerry,

The website looks fine to me but, as Patrick suggested, when I changed my Display Settings to Large DPI I saw the same problem you reported. This setting can be found by right-clicking on your Desktop, choosing Properties, then Settings, then Advanced and it's on the General tab there.

You'll find that if you change this back to Normal Size (96 DPI) then the website looks fine.

Regards,
Sarah Woodhouse
Development Department
Serif (Europe) Ltd

Old 25th May 2006, 05:51 PM   #14
GpaDavis

FWIW, using FF 1.5.03. Pressing Ctrl - (Neg. zoom) reduced the size and all was quite readable and apparently properly spaced.

Bob

Old 25th May 2006, 09:52 PM   #15
Patrick Connor

For those of your customers who use large fonts... see my post about republishing the site with the absolute font size ticked. Then you can have large fonts and the site will look fine.

Patrick Connor
Production Manager
Serif Europe Limited

Old 25th May 2006, 10:38 PM   #16
'Awful Punster'

Patrick,

Does the same apply for visitors using the Large DPI setting referred to by Sarah (as distinct from the Large Fonts setting on the Appearance tab)?

Alfred

Old 26th May 2006, 12:03 AM   #17
William

Patrick,

On the contrary, I have just visited the site too and it looks absolutely pooh.

William

Old 26th May 2006, 10:05 AM   #18
Gerry

Lightbulb Thanks to everyone

Well thankyou everyone, that seems to have tracked it down. I've found about three ways to change the font setting and indeed one of these was set to large. setting it to normal does solve the web page problem. However the problem is linked to screen resolution in as much as normal font setting is very small at increased screen resolution, on my machine at least, so i need it large.
The solution seems to be to force the font size from the web page. I've passed on the message.
Thanks once again.

Old 27th May 2006, 12:46 PM   #19
Patrick Connor

Sorry, My bad, I meant higher resolution NOT large fonts. Internally we have called this the large fonts issue because of the way explorer gives you artificially large fonts when you increase screen resolution. I did not mean to confuse the issue, but clearly have, thanks Alfred..

Patrick Connor
Production Manager
Serif Europe Limited

Old 30th May 2006, 05:38 PM   #20
Gerry

Lightbulb That's solved it

Just to close the loop he made the change to force font size and that has resolved the problem.