You need to change the paper orientation to landscape first from Print Setup. Then you can define your custom labels as two portrait labels on landscape paper. Copy the measurements first to the clipboard: 7.858" x 5.650" for Avery 7168.
As always, there's more than one way. To do it without copying any measurements, change from 'Portrait' to 'Landscape' in Print Setup (if necessary) and then follow these steps:
1. Choose 'Small Publications > Labels' in Page Setup.
2. Select 'Shipping L7168'.
3. Switch from 'Labels' to 'Paper'.
4. Change from 'Portrait' to 'Landscape' in the Publication Size section.
5. Click the 'Create Custom' button.
6. Change the 'Across' setting to 2 and click the 'OK' buttons.
I have been trying to work out an answer since the query appeared. However I cannot seem to apply your suggestion.
I can produce a portrait label on a portrait A4 base but not a portrait label on a landscape base - which, I believe, is what Rob requires. The attachment shows what I get when I follow your procedure.
Yes - I had tried to set print setup but my printer did not like it. I have overcome this by starting with an A4 landscape page and then set the printer to landscape. It then worked . Thank you.