Go Back   Serif Software Forums > Design and Publishing > PagePlus

Notices

PagePlus Questions about using PagePlus for desktop publishing

Old 14th December 2003, 07:23 PM   #1
Mrak Ewing
Message imported from old Serif Forum

Lightbulb Unwanted overlapping text phenomena

I created my website using PagePlus 8. Some of the people viewing my website say that the text is overlapping. I have seen their printout and on the menu some of the words were literally sitting on top of each other. On my browser, and indeed on the browsers of majority of site visitors, everything has looked just fine. I have had two reports of this overlapping effect. Could it be they are using old browser software?

Old 14th December 2003, 07:44 PM   #2
mjh

Lightbulb Re:Unwanted overlapping text phenomena

Mark

1. Please tell Jill I want to sign up if she will provide some transportation!
2. None the text boxes overlap in AOL's IE 6.0
3. Consider Hyperlinks instead of HotSpot for your menu items on the left hand side.
4. The top five menu items are in blue, the rest in red when loggin on for the first time.
5. Pls consider putting ALL the left side menu items on the Master Page, then they will be consistent from page to page.
6. Go to File/Web whatever and in the Properties box, name the pages
7. The pictures are GREAT and my drum is bigger!
Hope this helps

mjh

Old 15th December 2003, 08:26 AM   #3
'Awful Punster'

Mark,

The 'overlapping text' effect is a common problem with pre-PP9 web pages, almost certainly caused by your viewers using a 'Large Fonts' Display Setting (rather than old browser software). Assuming you aren't ready to upgrade to PP9, you may wish to consider the workaround Patrick posted here: http://www.serif.com/forum/ViewThrea...ead=7861#58019.

HTH, Alfred

Click here: http://echo1.dr2.net/~corniest/Serif..."";return true for a guide to the 'smiley' shortcuts and the markup code, and for links to wishlists.

Old 15th December 2003, 08:27 AM   #4
Jon

Mark,

Your problem is that some of the people viewing your website have selected the global "large fonts" settings for their computer(accessesed via "display properties - settings-advanced").
On websites, PP8 uses point size for fonts, but a fixed position of text boxes. This causes overlapping text when text boxes are placed near each other for viewers with "large fonts" selected, but it looks fine for those with "normal fonts" selected

Solution - upgrade to PP9 and re-publish, selecting "fixed fonts". Or manually alter the html code of each of your published pages, replacing "pt" with "px" for the font size.

It's been discussed on this forum recently. Try a search for "large fonts".

Cheers
Jon

Old 15th December 2003, 09:54 AM   #5
'Awful Punster'

Jon,

&nbsp; >>> It's been discussed on this forum recently. Try a search for "large fonts". <<<

I (only just) beat you to it see my post below.

Alfred

Old 15th December 2003, 04:16 PM   #6
Jon

Alfred,

Dammit - thought I'd got in there before the great AP!!

Never mind - who knows - one day?? :-)

Jon

Old 15th December 2003, 06:52 PM   #7
'Awful Punster'

LOL]Javascript:;' onClick='lol=window.open("http://www.serif.com/forum/ViewAttachment.asp?Attach=471","lolwin","width=100 ,height=100,left="+eval("(screen.width-100)/2")+",top="+eval("(screen.height-100)/2")); lol.focus()[/url]!

Alfred