Go Back   Serif Software Forums > Design and Publishing > PagePlus

Notices

PagePlus Questions about using PagePlus for desktop publishing

Old 29th June 2003, 10:23 AM   #1
GGB
Message imported from old Serif Forum

Lightbulb PagePlus program for iMac computers

Will Serif make Desk Top Publishing programs for iMacs, version OS X? Besides a PC, I use an iMac for a host of projects related to my producing a monthly newsletter, which I publish using PP8pdf on a PC, but am overwhelmed by some of the programs Apple offers.It's a difficult computer to learn and apply, especially when I've been weaned on a PC since the late 1970s. I received the iMac as a gift from my son.

Anyone know a Desk Top program similar to Serif's PP8pdf (cost and ease of learning) I can use on the iMac with the quality and ease of PP8pdf?

I want to use the Apple for more than just storage and CD reads and writes. I'd like to produce material similar to newsletters in case my PC becomes disabled.

An array of expensive programs are avilable for the iMac, but most have a difficult learning curve and are chock full of bells and whistles I don't need or want.

GGB

Old 29th June 2003, 03:02 PM   #2
bookmarkmns

Lightbulb Re:PagePlus program for iMac computers

From my limited experience I would avoid Virtual PC. Keep it simple and use your PC when you want to use PP and look at what the Mac market has. I think you'll find it less fraught. Good Luck

Old 29th June 2003, 07:19 PM   #3
Mark Szorady

"It's a difficult computer to learn and apply"

I think it's just a familiarity issue. It sounds like you use your PC so much and so often that the time you devote to the Imac is really not enough to understand all the moves. Perhaps if you unplug your PC for a week or so and rely only on your Imac, you'll soon become oriented to its OS to the point where moving around the system, etc.is second nature..

Having said that, I think the only option you have to running PP on the Imac is obtaining a Windows emulation program like SoftWindows. I believe Karlos runs PP on his Mac and has reported that it runs nicely this way.

Here's a link where Virtual PC and SoftWindows are discussed.
Virtual PC and Soft
Windows: http://www.macwindows.com/windata2.html

In the meantime, you may want to download this parody. A very funny, funny Mac spoof.
A very very funny Mac
Spoof: http://www.cfox.com/geeks/geekstuff/mac_ad.zip

One caution...it does contain a couple of harsh/vulgar/offensive words and is 3.37 megs in size.

Toonfully,

Mark

Old 30th June 2003, 07:42 PM   #4
GGB

Thanks to both fellows who replied to my query. I spend virtually all my time before a PC while the iMac is on the desk to my left, and the computer sits idle except when I need to store photos and articles on it.

I'll take a look at Virtual PC; it may be what I need. Who knows. Thank you again.

GGB

Old 1st July 2003, 07:11 AM   #5
karlos

GGB> I have a Mac G4 and a Dell PC [spit] here on the desk. If it wasn't for PP the Dell would be out of the office window [quite literally on it's performance last week]. I used Virtual PC on the Mac G4 and on my G3 iMac at home when I has using Mac OS9.2. A great option if you only have a Mac and want to use a specific Windows package, but aside from that it was pointless for me as I have access to 2 x PC's. I haven't tried Virtual PC using Mac OSX, but I'm told it works really well. You have to remember though that you will lose the 'right mouse click' operations when running any Windoze package on a Mac. In Page Plus I am very reliant on these operations, so dual platform it is for me. PP on a Mac would make my life complete [well, aside from 10,000,000 pounds of course] - and I could then torch this scabby Dell piece of rubbish I have to live with. For those of you who have never looked at or been in contact with Mac platform recently, believe me, you don't know what you are missing when it comes to speed and stability. This M$ garb makes me weep sometimes..... <sigh>

enough ramble, PP9 for Mac - come on !!!! :-)

K

Old 2nd July 2003, 05:53 PM   #6
GGB

Thank you Karlos. The content of your message came over loud and clear. I have Virtual PC now, but have not loaded it into the iMac. The PC has me so-well trained that I'm unsure whether I could easily and quickly perform the functions I find practically automatic on the PC.You obviously have overcome the differences. But, I'll keep my fingers crossed hoping Serif will delve into the Mac world with many of its products. Either that, I'll load Virtual PC and dive in on my own.Thanks for your candid reply.

GGB

Old 2nd July 2003, 06:08 PM   #7
Jim B.

If Serif doesn't port to MAC, then maybe there could be a Linux version in the plans? This would be another and excellent reason for people to abandon Window$.

Jim B. :> )

Photography is an image created from a vision.

Old 3rd July 2003, 11:07 AM   #8
Mark Szorady

"and I could then torch this scabby Dell piece of rubbish I have to live with"

Before you do that, please send it to me. I'll gladly pay shipping costs. I'm not only a software junkie, but a computer hardware junkie, as well. Three, count 'em THREE computers currently owned...One in the studio, One in the office and the 'ol 400 MHz as backup.

Plus, I've got an old 1983 TI computer laying around in an attic someplace and an 8086 leading Edge IBM clone that's up there, too.

Toonfully,

Mark

Old 4th July 2003, 12:30 AM   #9
Sofar

With the release of XP they are reporting the numbers of Linux users jumping ship to Windows XP is high. Linux is like Mac far to limiting of available software and hardware.

I just don't think Windows is going to get replaced soon by anything else. Far too many have substantial investment in Windows and to port to another platform with the complexity of modern software is just not going to happen - soon.

Old 4th July 2003, 05:14 PM   #10
Steve

The problem is that, because of the small user base of the Mac, Serif would have to charge a lot more for it's Mac version of PP in order to cover the costs of porting it and to make any money.
The programmes availbale for Mac now (Adobe, Macromedia etc.) are extremely expensive packages which they are more than covering their costs on - and so they should at around 500 a package.

I cant imagine Serif charging this much for a Mac version of PP.

Another thing to take into consideration is that Serif software is aimed at the amateur user, who would most likely be using a PC not a Mac, which is most commonly used by professional designers/companys for very specific tasks and software.

I would love to see Drawplus for Mac, but it's never going to happen, but then if i was using a Mac, i would'nt be using Drawplus.

Steve

Old 4th July 2003, 09:07 PM   #11
Sofar

Steve, Quote "Serif software is aimed at the amateur user" I certainly DO NOT consider myself an amateur user, and doubt Mike K and many many others would consider themselves 'amateur' users!!!
Because a program is low in price, or even freeware, does not mean it is used only by amateurs.
I have produced every conceivable type of printed material from full four process colour, heaps of photographs with complex text layout on gloss paper to B&W junk mail on Serif PagePlus and MS Publisher.

Old 4th July 2003, 09:27 PM   #12
Mark Szorady

Hear! Hear!
Toonfully,

Mark

Old 4th July 2003, 09:27 PM   #13
Dave P

Steve

>>>> Another thing to take into consideration is that Serif software is aimed at the amateur user <<<>

Perhaps you can expand on that? Certainly Mike Koewler who produces a full blown newspaper would disagree!!!!!!!1 There are many other users as well who will also disagree with that statement. Count me amongst them. The Rugby Football Union have been happy to accept PDF files fron PP8PDF.

Dave

Old 7th July 2003, 06:46 AM   #14
karlos

without wanting to start a 'platform' war here, I have to state a fact. One reason why a we wouldn't use a PC for high end work is simple, colour sync profiles. Not saying anything about anyones skills on here at all, it's just that if you want to match Pantone profiles "exactly" you can't seriously use a PC. Plus if you want to use Photoshop, Freehand and Quark in the same session with a proper file, lets say a 400 mb publication with 100 linked tif's, you need a piece of kit that can control it's memory properly and not fall over, therefore it can only be a Mac. 99% of creative high end design in the UK is produced via Mac Platform. Go to any Print or Design show & yes, you'll see the odd PC... but acting as a slave server for a network device like a Rip, beyond that is a sea of Mac equipment. It's Horses for courses kiddies ! :-)

LL & P

Karlos

Old 7th July 2003, 09:12 PM   #15
Sofar

Karlos it really is about time you took a trip out into the real world and update your knowledge while you are outside in the fresh air of the real world. Firstly if you think that Mac can control memory use correctly, you are a total dreamer, not just a part time one. If you cannot get an exact match Pantone on a PC then that is an operator issue. The large majority of printers locally, including the printer that does magnificent gloss travel posters and has a large national client base uses Windows on a PC. Mac printer locally are now down to the 15% level and decreasing.

Old 7th July 2003, 09:33 PM   #16
Mike Koewler

Karlos,

I know you love your Mac and I've seen your work, so I'm not going to argue they don't do a good job. But now that PCs can handle a gig of memory or more, no reason big files can't be used.

I'm not sure about the Pantone issue, unless you are converting it to CMYK. If so, that's an app's department, not an OS.

Mike

Old 8th July 2003, 09:28 AM   #17
karlos

Lightbulb you could be forgiven . . .

. . . for thinking my original response was overbearing & heavy handed, well, after having my lunch and taking time to think about it properly I've concluded that: it's not normally in my nature to be so off hand, though I think under the circumstances what I said will have to stand. In fact I copy / pasted the post from 'sofar' to a collegue who's telephone response [amongst his tears of laughter] is unpostable here. Some days in this world I feel like Frank Oz must have back in the late 70's
:-)

K

Old 8th July 2003, 11:13 AM   #18
karlos

Lightbulb real world, really children......tsk

Sofar wrote >>>>Firstly if you think that Mac can control memory use correctly, you are a total dreamer, not just a part time one. <<<
Firstly, before I start, here's a screen grab of the so called non existent memory allocation on a Mac !!!!!!
So, please, give me a break. Are you able to explain this utter nonsense ? in fact, don't bother, you know nothing on the subject. Answer me this, have you ever seen a Mac or used one ?, clearly not. Memory allocation used to be one of the many things about OS 9 that gave it the edge over Windows 9[x], and today Mac under OSX platform handles that itself without user intervention. Though you can also get memory allocation info [using the Apple & i keyboard command] on the actual software in use and change the allocation further if you wish !. Clearly Sir you don't actually know what you are talking about. As I've said, no platform war intended, but at least bring here a modicum of knowledge before making a critical comment of actual fact, and then to ask ME to get real, per-lease ...
a PC Pantone profile [on screen] is not of the correct Gamma beacause it is not using ColourSync, just ask Xerox UK for example, they are the ONLY people using a PC platform Pantone matching approved package for [their] Rip processors, and even then they admit that it's "close" & not 100% accurate. I don't even know why I'm bothering typing, it's way over YOUR head....ya muppet :-) I've been involved in Graphic Design since 1979, & using Macs since 1983 and I'm here 20 years later explaining to some 'Johnny come lately' about the basics, jeezus, give me a break.
I've called for PP on the Mac for 5 years now, I still beat on about it, and always will as I use one every day and I know how it would work so well on that platform, it would sell like hot cakes, do I need to explain what a 'hot cake' is, or can you work that out for yourself ??.

Karlos "seen em come, seen em go"

Old 8th July 2003, 11:22 AM   #19
karlos

it's not love Mike, it's just the tool for the job. Spot colour ? makes no difference what the platform is, hence why I use PP, it's ideal. If it's spot seps, you put ink on the machine, you print. If it's short run full colour and the customer ain't bothered about colour matching, it's PP. The point I'm trying to make is that yes, design & layout packages are available for PC platform as they are for Mac. But here in the UK Mac drives the design industry for a damned good reason. Printers [even us] accept files from either platform, a Mac Freehand file opens fine on my PC and vice versa. There is give and take. But we receive 99 Mac files to every PC file, it speaks volumes. Not having a rant, just stating a fact as to how it is here. We have around 6 commercial printers locally at our disposal [plus ourselves of course], all are Mac platform by choice, all of them 'accept' PC files, bar one of them which is now Mac ONLY. On a national scale we deal with the largest independant UK newspaper group [Northcliffe] for our local rag, and 'quell surprise' it's Quark on a Mac, not even a PC in the studio - so where his 15% Mac useage statistic came from I will never fathom, hence my bawling about PP for said platform, which is my whole point.

tsk......

K
"2 massive PC crashes today & none on the, errrrmm, 'other' machine"

Old 8th July 2003, 11:42 AM   #20
Mark Szorady

>>But we receive 99 Mac files to every PC file, it speaks volumes

Karlos,

Yes, this does. And here in the States, in the Midwest, at least, it's vice-versa. I've walked into many print shops and haven't seen a Mac in ages. The PC platform is more affordable and bottom-liners (read as "pencil-pushers" and "accountants") cut costs where they can. The Mac is the first thing to go due to its high cost and lack of software. One print shop I know of did this exact thing. No Macs at all. They use only PCs and do full color work with no problems. About five years ago, they were able to buy 3 PCs for the price of one Mac. The PC made better business sense for them. They told me The PC runs more graphics software and handles PhotoShop and full color issues with no problems. Their words, not mine.

Having said this, I'm not close-minded on Operating Systems. I'm investigating Linux. I'd be more than happy to try Mac, but it's the software issue and initial start up cost. PagePlus doesn't run, PhotoImpact won't run, etc., etc, etc. A better work around will probably be to run Linux Mandrake 9.1 and obtain a copy of Virtual Machine for Linux and run Windows98se and the Mac OS this way. After all, if Dreamworks can use Linux to produce their animated movie SINBAD, then I'm sure it's up to any task. Hence my possibly moving over to it...at the very least, running it on a partition and having a dual boot.

Also, I'm not of an opinion that one is better than another. I believe it's a familiarity and comfort issue. I know many, many cartoonists who love their Macs and would never think of switching only because they are so familiar with it. Many other cartoonists are strictly PC guys for the same reason. It's all in what you prefer. I'll try a Mac. But not for $1600.00. Linux will be the most affordable way to try the Mac OS. Linux is free!

Toonfully,

Mark