Go Back   Serif Software Forums > Community > General

Notices

General Discussions that don't relate to a specific Serif product

Old 31st May 2003, 08:52 AM   #1
GGB
Message imported from old Serif Forum

Lightbulb Pop-Up advertisements

Pop-up advertisements are fast becoming a nuisance. Pop-up screens appear almost everywhere and often layered, three, five and even seven at a time.To avoid them, I must close my cable modem down when in the middle of a program (example-- while typing this message, four pop-ups have appeared so far).

Other than shut off my modem, are there reliable programs that will iliminate (another pop-up just appeared) these bothersome objects? They do interfer with my work and I want my modem on as I perform my work.

GGB

Old 31st May 2003, 09:18 AM   #2
Martin Taylor

Lightbulb Re:Pop-Up advertisements

Hi, GGB

Yes, there are loads of popup eliminators out there on the share/freeware market. You could try www.tucows.com, or similar, to see what's available.

Do you have a firewall installed? I recently upgraded to ADSL, and installed ZoneAlarm (there was a thread here about that), which has ad-blocking features, although I'm not using them at the moment. Maybe you should investigate that as an option?

Martin

Old 31st May 2003, 11:01 AM   #3
Simon

Apart from ZoneAlarm (which I wouldn't be without) I use a pop up stopper called.. um.. pop-up stopper. It's a totally free download and stops pretty much most things - if you want to allow something (some programs open up their own pop ups to allow to you watch videos, information etc) you just hold down the ctrl key.

www.panicware.com

it's the pop-up stopper free edition you want.

Hope this helps.

Old 31st May 2003, 11:06 AM   #4
Paul

I do not get them on this site at all, so they must be from another source. However, if you want to stop them disable java script. Drastic but it works! I am not sure what will happen to this site though:-(

Paul

Old 31st May 2003, 11:43 AM   #5
Dave P

Tony (main man) Hearn would be mortified if there were pop-ups on this forum!

He's created a great, clean, easy to use place and he wouldn't have it any other way!

Other sites you may visit will get pop-ups to form an orderly line astern and bombard you one after the other. The delay of some of them may make you think they are coming from the site you're at rather than the site you left.

Pop Up Stopper just nails the lot

Dave

Old 31st May 2003, 02:21 PM   #6
Mark Harmon

Opera web browsers also has a feature to disable pop ups.

Mark Harmon

Old 31st May 2003, 02:58 PM   #7
Don Day

So does Mozilla. I haven't seen one pop-up ad since I started using it.

Don

Old 31st May 2003, 04:34 PM   #8
walter

<<So does Mozilla. I haven't seen one pop-up ad since I started using it.>>

Nor I Don - and very few when using netscape 7 before
walter

Old 1st June 2003, 01:14 AM   #9
Jim B.

Microsoft's Internet Explorer (MSIE) seems to be the only web browser that does not have a built-in popup blocker.

Try switching to Mozilla 1.3 or Opera 7.1 or Netscape 7.02, or newer.

Also, many popup or popunder ads that seem to originate from the web site you are currently at, might actually be coming from either a previously visited web site, or from an "adware" or "spyware" program installed on your computer.

"Spyware" and "Adware" programs like KaZaa, Gator, Go!Zilla, Comet Cursor, Xupiter Tool Bar, and many, many others are often installed on your computer when you download "free" programs off the internet. Chances are good that you just clicked "Accept" when you were shown the license agreement for whatever software you downloaded. That license agreement might have mentioned the embedded spaywre or adware, in small print, waaaay down at the end.

You should get an adware/spyware detection and removal pprogram like "Ad-Aware" or "Spybot" to find out if there are ad or spy ware programs, and remove them.

Jim B. :> )

Photography is an image created from a vision.

Old 1st June 2003, 01:21 AM   #10
Geoff Barns

GGB

Here are two pop-up stoppers I have tried: EMS FreeSurfer MkII: http://www.kolumbus.fi/eero.muhonen/FS/fs.htm and analogX POW!: http://www.analogx.com/contents/down...etwork/pow.htm.

My system was, for all intents and purposes, pop-up free when I was using FreeSurfer, even when I visited one particularly notorious site. However, I decided to try POW! after reading recommendations on the AdAware forum, and am still using it because I simply have not got around to changing back to FreeSurfer. Both work very well, although POW! requires some user intervention and does not stop the odd pop-up, while FreeSurfer required no user input and seemed to stop all pop-ups. Both are free.

Geoff Barns

Old 1st June 2003, 09:07 AM   #11
GGB

Thanks Geoff -- I downloaded both programs and will install them ASAP.

GGB

Old 1st June 2003, 09:14 AM   #12
GGB

Thanks to you all for offering ways and means to prevent the distracting and sometimes obnoxious popups.

I admire the wealth of knowledge people, who sign on to this site, have. But more important, I'm thankful they share that knowledge.

GGB