Go Back   Serif Software Forums > Design and Publishing > PagePlus

Notices

PagePlus Questions about using PagePlus for desktop publishing

Old 6th December 2002, 01:24 PM   #1
Duke_Sc
Message imported from old Serif Forum

Lightbulb Double sided printing of bookmarks doesn't line up

I've been trying to print bookmarks for a volunteer organisation, but when I print them out double sided and then hold them up to the light they drift out of line toward the bottom. I'm guessing this is a printer thing but just wondered if anyone had come across it and if it's fixable?

cheers!

Duke

Old 6th December 2002, 01:40 PM   #2
Bill Schuhle

Lightbulb Re:Double sided printing of bookmarks doesn't line up

Duke,

First make sure the items on both sides are stepped in *exactly* the same increments (say 2") so there's no variation in spacing between them. Print both sides. Inspect. Note how much one side needs to move and in which direction to match up with the other side. On your PP page, select everything on that side and move it the necessary amount. Re-print. This should fix it unless your printer is somehow moving the paper in different increments as it goes down the page (highly unlikely, I'd say).

Bill Schuhle

Old 6th December 2002, 01:51 PM   #3
Sasha

>>First make sure the items on both sides are stepped in *exactly* the same increments<<

You could do this by showing the document as facing pages and see if they are lined up. If for some reason this is hard to eyeball, use the red guidelines and run them along under the parts of the text that are a problem in printing.

Sasha

Old 6th December 2002, 02:39 PM   #4
Geoffrey Blanthorn

Duke,

If they are only running out of line toward the bottom, and not uniformly out of line, I'd guess that your printer was feeding the paper in slightly skewed. Is the print on the first side exactly parallel with the paper sides?

There's no easy cure for this if your paper is placed squarely in the paper tray, but if it is a consistent amount of 'drift' you could perhaps tilt everything a little in PP, one side one way, and the other side the other way.

Geoff

Old 6th December 2002, 08:06 PM   #5
Duke_Sc

Sounds like a possible solution Geoff. Yes they are perfectly matched at the top it's just as they come down the page that they kind of splay out. I've tried printing them on an alternate printer and the situation is the same although not quite as pronounced but enough to make cutting them out a complete non starter

To the guy's above, I had already done most of what you suggested re the red guidlines etc, but thanks for your input anyway!

Duke

Old 6th December 2002, 10:35 PM   #6
Mike Koewler

Duke,

The same thing happens to me when printing some business cards. I manually raised the bottom card until it printed correctly.

What type of printer are you using?

Mike

Old 17th December 2002, 09:11 AM   #7
Andy

Lightbulb On offset printing...

Hi,

I've suffered from this too. Another thing to check is your printer setup. This often has "scale to fit" or similar. What happens is that the printer cannot print to the edge of the paper, so if you have ANY data in the unprintable edge area it reduces the document size until it just fits. Unless your document has EXACTLY the same dimensions OF ACTUAL DATA, the scale factor will be different both sides (eg one side @95%, the other @93%). This would cause the drift you mention. See if you can find any such option in your printer setup/options and try turning it off. If you need to make the two sides teh same, try placing a white rectangle at the back that is as big as the largest side. Add it in teh same place on teh other side.

Another effect comes from some printers having larger non-printable areas on one end of the paper to the other. This causes one side to be shifted one way, and the other side the other, misaligning them.

On this subject, its really annoying to me that I can layout a nice document using PP8 pamphlet pages, have PP8 assemble it onto A4 for me, but then have to go through all the print, measure, adjust to compensate (making it look horribly off-centre on screen), reprint etc etc in order to get a good result! Madness! Unfortunately not all windows printers seem to allow you to print actual size and just crop anythign that falls outside the prinatble area. Not really a PP gripe, but it does somewhat negate all the nice folding templates built into PP... Any ideas, Serif?

A friend has an Epsom printer which can print right to the edge of the paper. I have asked him to print some things for me, which avoids most of this, but it in fact enlarges the doc (some of which falls off the paper), so you have to be aware that the edge of the paper will not be quite where your screen says it will be.

Sorry for rambling, but as you can tell, I've wasted hours on this over the years...! Andy

Old 17th December 2002, 09:55 AM   #8
mjh

Lightbulb Re:On offset printing...

Andy
Remember the mimeograph machine?

Old 17th December 2002, 10:07 AM   #9
WalterB

Andy
If you go to layout guides and set the outside/inside margins to the same value and tick mirrored margins then should'nt back and front match?
(using booklet mode)
walter

Old 17th December 2002, 10:47 AM   #10
Patrick Connor

"Unfortunately not all windows printers seem to allow you to print actual size and just crop anythign that falls outside the prinatble area"

well you should just design inside the printable area and never ask the driver to scale anything. PagePlus positions in relation to the top corner of the paper, not the printable area. I cannot understand why you would scale/reposition all your document contents in order to compensate for the printer margins, and then print "scale to fit". That is madness. I must be missing something. Not using scale to fit is the key on my HP Deskjet 970cxi.

Patrick Connor
Senior Software Programmer
Serif Software

Old 30th December 2002, 02:08 AM   #11
KewlKiwi

Hi All. New to this forum, although I've been using PP since V.2.

Just a thought, but what type of printer are you using for this job Duke?

If it's a laser, then it's possible the paper is actually shrinking or stretching due to the heat of the fuser driving out the water in the paper. If it's an inkjet, then perhaps the paper is stretching due to the _added_ moisture content after printing the first side...

Try comparing the length of a sheet thats just been printed with a blank sheet.

Have a great new year everyone!

Bob (in middle-earth country)

Old 9th January 2003, 10:12 PM   #12
Duke

Hi,
It's a Brother Laser jet (basically it's a HP 4 clone, uses the same cartridges etc.) I didn't solve the problem unfortunately, but got round it by incorporating a thick black line around the bookmarks which gave me a bit of lee way for cutting them out even although squint. I really like PP8 but it seems always to be the printing that stuffs up a project!!! Everything looks great on the screen but....never mind when I win the Lottery I'll be buying a printing bureaux all to myself

Thanks all for your input,

Duke

Old 10th January 2003, 02:45 PM   #13
Geoffrey Blanthorn

Duke,

I'm glad you managed a solution of sorts. I imagine much of the problem is caused by the paper shrinking when printing the first side. Laser printers get pretty hot inside and dry out any moisture in the paper, thereby shrinking it. Have you tied better quality paper, made specifically for laser printing?

I'm sure it's not a PP problem. If it were, page 2 would always be printed in a different position on the page from page 1, whether on the back or on a separate sheet.

Geoff

Old 10th January 2003, 04:29 PM   #14
Sasha

>>problem is caused by the paper shrinking when printing the first side<<

Which could be dealt with by running the paper through one time on a blank open page, wouldn't it? Then running the page through for the bookmark, front and back.

Sasha

Old 10th January 2003, 06:18 PM   #15
Jennifer Rodriguez

Lightbulb double-sided lameness

All printers are inheriently evil -starting with the mimeograph machine!

I think epsons' do tend to give a lot more control on output than other desktop printers, but I currently have a canon because it gave me the best price for individual ink (a good deal when all your office stationary is solely black and blue)and have found myself confounded by it more than once.

A kind of lame-brain workaround when I ran into a similar problem with a series of double sided flash cards (that needed to be printed out on an array of different printers over a network!)and ran out of time: I placed BOTH sides of the flash card next to one another on one side of paper that was half the weight of that originally planned. They were separated by a DOTTED line. You get where this is going, I suppose...cut on the solid lines, fold on the dotted. Lame, but posterior saving.

Old 23rd January 2003, 08:04 AM   #16
Stephen Eames

Try laying out your objects on a master page and filling them with text graphics etc in the normal work screen, I'm sure you will find them in the same postion on each page and will line up perfectly, another way is to get access to a printer that has a double sided option in the driver or perhaps Serif could build this option into the next release of PagePlus.
Good Luck Regards
Stephen Eames