Go Back   Serif Software Forums > Design and Publishing > WebPlus

Notices

WebPlus Questions about using WebPlus for website design

Old 26th November 2013, 12:44 AM   #1
Joey Monk

Joey Monk is on a distinguished road
Default Webplus X7 problems...

Reading a few posts on here, WPX7 is giving people some headaches...I also have been having problems with X7, my site which looks great in x6, also looks different in X7, when I upload it to the server???, even without making any changes to the original pages, so does X7 change the old site automatically? this might sound like a silly question but does X7 change the old x6 site to html5 automatically?
X6 has been an excellent piece of software, I hope X7 is too!
I've backed up my .wpp file thankfully, but now I'm scared to use X7!
Old 26th November 2013, 07:22 AM   #2
Bob Keen

Bob Keen is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Webplus X7 problems...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Monk View Post
Reading a few posts on here, WPX7 is giving people some headaches...I also have been having problems with X7, my site which looks great in x6, also looks different in X7, when I upload it to the server???, even without making any changes to the original pages, so does X7 change the old site automatically? this might sound like a silly question but does X7 change the old x6 site to html5 automatically?
X6 has been an excellent piece of software, I hope X7 is too!
I've backed up my .wpp file thankfully, but now I'm scared to use X7!
I think it must change the site as when I updated a single page on a site that was constructed and maintained in earlier versions, doing an incremental update would normally only involve a couple of file changes, but this time, after opening in X7 about 70 plus files were affected. The upload did therefore take longer than usual and stopped a couple of times during the process.

However, apart from putting some blue outlines around the extremities of some old 'add to cart' buttons, everything looked normal and operated OK.
Old 26th November 2013, 10:39 AM   #3
Bob Keen

It seems I spoke too soon. Since adding some more material (video), there has been some corruption. The odd word has seen it's last letter removed to a line below and the drop down menus on the nav bar have disappeared completely.

They are there and work in preview mode, but not online.

Last edited by Bob Keen; 26th November 2013 at 10:49 AM.
Old 26th November 2013, 11:09 AM   #4
Bob Keen

Made some adjustments to the misplaced text on the homepage, re-uploaded it and the nav bar drop down menus are back in place. If all the fixes are that simple, I won't be complaining.
Old 26th November 2013, 09:48 PM   #5
Joey Monk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Keen View Post
I think it must change the site as when I updated a single page on a site that was constructed and maintained in earlier versions, doing an incremental update would normally only involve a couple of file changes, but this time, after opening in X7 about 70 plus files were affected. The upload did therefore take longer than usual and stopped a couple of times during the process.
This also happened to me, a change to the homepage normally involves only 4 files being uploaded, in wpx7 all the files were uploaded...

Last edited by mjh; 26th November 2013 at 09:54 PM.
Old 26th November 2013, 10:57 PM   #6
Ali
Guru

Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

Quote:
This also happened to me, a change to the homepage normally involves only 4 files being uploaded, in wpx7 all the files were uploaded...
This does not surprise me. The first upload from a new version of the software would need to ensure that changes that are part if the upgrade are reflected site-wide.
WPX2-6 SITES: The Falcon Inn (X6) | Martin Sexton - Artist (X2) | Clover Greetings
(X6)
Old 27th November 2013, 02:45 PM   #7
spidermurph

spidermurph is on a distinguished road

It seems to me that X7 is a lot less WYSIWYG than X6.

If I design a page in X6 I know that when I upload it, It will look the same.
With X7 I have to move things to odd places, overlap text and make lots of adjustments to the paragraph text leading just to make it work on the web. It is very unpredictable.

I hope this is an issue they are working on.
Old 27th November 2013, 05:02 PM   #8
Joey Monk

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidermurph View Post
It seems to me that X7 is a lot less WYSIWYG than X6.

If I design a page in X6 I know that when I upload it, It will look the same.
With X7 I have to move things to odd places, overlap text and make lots of adjustments to the paragraph text leading just to make it work on the web. It is very unpredictable.

I hope this is an issue they are working on.
I agree totally...

If we change things around to make it work on the web, then we'll probably have to undo our changes when it's patched... Backup, backup, backup! I'll stick to using X6 on my site for the moment till these things are sorted, surely serif would have tested and known about these problems before bringing us the final product?
Old 27th November 2013, 06:35 PM   #9
Cornish Sailer

Cornish Sailer has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Reading all this is making me think that when my copy arrives I should put it a drawer and wait for three months and carry on with X6.......................... Comments?
Old 27th November 2013, 06:47 PM   #10
Bob Keen

As had been said elsewhere, if no-one uses it then the bugs etc cannot be identified and reported to Serif for fixing.
Old 27th November 2013, 09:36 PM   #11
Joey Monk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Keen View Post
As had been said elsewhere, if no-one uses it then the bugs etc cannot be identified and reported to Serif for fixing.
Well, yeah Bob I see your point there, but surely Serif should have known that there would bugs as obvious as the ones mentioned here and in other parts of the forums? Major changes to the look of your existing site by only uploading the page as it was in X6 shouldn't cause text, images, etc to be out of snyc surely? I only found out because after backing up I decided to upload and see what happened, glad I did now...

Existing X6 users got a good deal, £49.00 early bird price, but it's only good if it works ok ... if in 30 days there are no fixes I might send it back

Old 27th November 2013, 09:50 PM   #12
AlfredP
Guru

AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

Quote:
Existing X6 users got a good deal, £49.00 early bird price, but it's only good if it works ok ... if in 30 days there are no fixes I might send it back
You might want to ask Serif for an extension of your money-back guarantee period. Come to think of it, if you call them for an RMA number they'll probably offer you an MBG extension anyway!

Alfred
- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (1900-1944)
Old 27th November 2013, 11:08 PM   #13
durban

durban will become famous soon enough

Personally, I have decided that I will stop using X7 and revert back to X6. I will wait till the patch comes out and then revisit.

I keep finding bug after bug. Personally, I don't have the time to keep posting bugs. I have found three today so I think that is the last straw. This will be a first for me with software. Normally, I just battle along and find work arounds but seriously this release sucks big time. Sorry to say!

Grant
Old 28th November 2013, 01:31 AM   #14
electrochrisso

electrochrisso will become famous soon enough

Sure you find bugs in new software, I still have bugs in Win 7 and now plenty in Win 8.1, I do not see MS going broke over it, or many people moving over to Linux or Mac, and I think it would be hard pressed for Serif to make your X6 sites look exactly the same on X7, even when all the real bugs are sorted, so I would say conversion problems from X6 to X7 are not bugs at all, and perhaps large sites should stay X6 if they are going to be too hard to tweak, in my opinion the actual bugs are the ones found when you create a completely new site in X7, I have found a few, but I am happy to wait for the patch, and am very confident of producing top quality web sites as the product stands now.
I have been going back and forth between X6 and X7, and can tell you that X7 produces far higher quality web content, both in code and graphics than X6 does, and X7 also runs and feels a lot more sleeker too.

Keep up the good work Serif, I am sure you will have the most critical bugs sorted in no time, and new users to X7 will be very happy with this product.
Old 28th November 2013, 12:26 PM   #15
Crafty Sara

Crafty Sara is on a distinguished road

I found the text had changed and wasn't displaying the same when I uploaded my site created in x6 from X7 - it looked very different from the screen. Also, the iframes had to be resized, they were suddenly showing scroll bars where they had been fine before. As my site is so big, I have gone back to X6 rather than trying to rejig everything.

Sara

My crafty site!
Old 28th November 2013, 02:43 PM   #16
Joey Monk

Quote:
Originally Posted by electrochrisso View Post
Sure you find bugs in new software, I still have bugs in Win 7 and now plenty in Win 8.1, I do not see MS going broke over it, or many people moving over to Linux or Mac, and I think it would be hard pressed for Serif to make your X6 sites look exactly the same on X7, even when all the real bugs are sorted, so I would say conversion problems from X6 to X7 are not bugs at all, and perhaps large sites should stay X6 if they are going to be too hard to tweak, in my opinion the actual bugs are the ones found when you create a completely new site in X7, I have found a few, but I am happy to wait for the patch, and am very confident of producing top quality web sites as the product stands now.
I have been going back and forth between X6 and X7, and can tell you that X7 produces far higher quality web content, both in code and graphics than X6 does, and X7 also runs and feels a lot more sleeker too.

Keep up the good work Serif, I am sure you will have the most critical bugs sorted in no time, and new users to X7 will be very happy with this product.
I've noticed a few people say how happy they are with X7, especially people creating new site's... the problem for me, and possibly some other people is that, I don't create websites on a regular basis, I have my main site, which is for my business, through years of trial and error, starting using html in notepad, progressing eventually to Dreamweaver 8 (probably using only a fraction of what it can do) till I eventually came across WPX4,then X5, X6, and now X7.... I would fully recommend WPX6 (and previous versions) to anyone, easily the best web development software I've ever used... but going through X4,X5,X6 the changes were excellent for users but not causing any major problems like X7... as I don't create sites regularly (a couple for friends etc...) my site has around 14 pages, videos etc, it took me hours and hours of trial and error to get it just how I like it, so I'm very wary of changing it just to suit how it looks on the web using X7, when it looks fine using X6... I'm sure Serif will fix it eventually, but until then I'm not going to risk hours of hard work sizing and resizing, just to do it again to suit X7
Old 28th November 2013, 03:08 PM   #17
Bhikkhu Pesala
Master

Bhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to beholdBhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to beholdBhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
I'm not going to risk hours of hard work sizing and resizing, just to do it again to suit X7
One has to be pragmatic. There's no point in upgrading if there is no benefit from doing so, just out of loyalty, or for whatever reason.

I had to upgrade my PC and OS just to use WPX5 for my site, as my XP computer just couldn't handle it. Even my new PC struggles with it on WPX5, but WPX7 is a different story — it finally becomes a viable option again, when NetObject Fusion was the only truly practical choice before.

I am waiting for the patch so that I can get my sites working properly on WPX7. Meanwhile, I am just finding my way around, and editing my sites (in WPX5) until it's safe to transfer them.

I just updated my WPX7 Review Page (still using WPX5 for now).
Old 29th November 2013, 01:57 AM   #18
electrochrisso

electrochrisso will become famous soon enough

@Joey Monk,
Yes I see your point, to be able to convert your existing site to X7 as easily as possible, so your site is up with the latest browser technology, where I never bother to convert, rather I continuously create new sites, and keep the old ones as are, since they are working fine, I even still have a couple of sites running, that I designed years ago using a text editor to spaghetti code the HTML/CSS by hand.
It will be great if Serif can get the conversion process to work satisfactory for everyone on the first patch, but I think it will take some time to get it working to everyones liking, as every person has their own design style, and some things may have to be done in a different way for HTML5, so some compromises will probably need to be made in the order of design to get things working exactly as per X6.
I also use another good web building software, and there have also been many issues to deal with, to cater for conversion to HTML5, Win 8.1 and IE11, so Serif is not the only one in the boat, I mean how long should software developers wait for Microsoft to sort stuff out, before they decide to release.

@Bhikkhu Pesala,
I like your WebPlus Review Page.
Old 29th November 2013, 10:43 AM   #19
charlesxix

charlesxix is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafty Sara View Post
I found the text had changed and wasn't displaying the same when I uploaded my site created in x6 from X7 - it looked very different from the screen. Also, the iframes had to be resized, they were suddenly showing scroll bars where they had been fine before. As my site is so big, I have gone back to X6 rather than trying to rejig everything.
I too am having problems with X7. I spoke to a guy in tech support at Serif and he was blaming an update to IE, (not sure not sure what version) and Windows (again not sure not sure what version) to be honest after half an hour I was loosing the will to live.
I spent all yesterday try to do work arounds and only managed to do three pages.
I sent off the X7 .wpp file as asked.
I will be back here with one of the problems, but first I need a lay down in a darkened room!!!
Old 29th November 2013, 09:28 PM   #20
P Stott

P Stott is on a distinguished road

Hi,
What a disaster Web plus 7 is, ver 6 like all the other replies on the forum worked a treat and 7 is now on a back burner till some bright spark from Serif comes up with a solution.

To date I have had to reconstruct my WEB page taking me 6 hours to do so.
not a happy punter,regards,
Podge