Go Back   Serif Software Forums > Design and Publishing > WebPlus

Notices

WebPlus Questions about using WebPlus for website design

Old 19th November 2013, 02:32 PM   #41
maurits

maurits is on a distinguished road
Default Re: MAJOR CSS problem

I noticed a few problems that I didn`t had in X6.
A few times I got lots of space between a textbox and the next textbox or a picture, and I cannot get it away, because I don`t have that space in my layout.

Further I noticed that I got often less space between the lines in a textbox. All the lines are very, very close to eachother and the text in a textbox has a different building online than in my layout. For example the text stops at the same height of the bottom of a picture, but online I have lots of space left.

I cannot give screenshots, because I use X6 again and will wait till a patch is coming out.
Old 19th November 2013, 02:47 PM   #42
Jon P
Serif Europe Limited

Jon P is well on the road to greatness

Unfortunately, this is indeed a bug that crept in on our final build due to another bug being fixed. This line spacing issue was missed in our final stage of testing and only spotted after we sent everything off to be mastered.

It is logged and fixed internally and will make it into the first WebPlus X7 patch. I cannot give a timescale on this now, but we will be releasing it ASAP to address this and some other issues (we are monitoring CP, these forums and have our support team to keep an eye on any issues being raised that we aren't aware of)

Apologies that this bug was released, however there is a workaround for now:

1. Highlight the text
2. Right click > Text Format > Paragraph
3. Change line spacing to "Exactly"

I hope this helps, please rest assured we will be patching this as soon as possible.
Old 19th November 2013, 03:07 PM   #43
RichardS
Master

RichardS has a brilliant futureRichardS has a brilliant futureRichardS has a brilliant futureRichardS has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon P View Post
Unfortunately, this is indeed a bug that crept in on our final build due to another bug being fixed. This line spacing issue was missed in our final stage of testing and only spotted after we sent everything off to be mastered.

It is logged and fixed internally and will make it into the first WebPlus X7 patch. I cannot give a timescale on this now, but we will be releasing it ASAP to address this and some other issues (we are monitoring CP, these forums and have our support team to keep an eye on any issues being raised that we aren't aware of)

1. Highlight the text

I hope this helps, please rest assured we will be patching this as soon as possible.
Thanks Jon. And thanks for posting this temporary work-around.
Old 19th November 2013, 05:25 PM   #44
maurits

maurits is on a distinguished road

Joh P~ thank you for you quick reply and for the workaround to fix the space between the lines. I hope you also can fix that you sometimes get a lot of space between a textbox and textbox or picture, while that space doesn`t excist in the lay-out. Further I`m very pleased with all the new options in X7
Old 20th November 2013, 10:30 AM   #45
Paulstephenlee

Paulstephenlee is well on the road to greatness

Thank you Jon P as I now feel totally vindicated.

Experts on here told me that the problem didn't exist when I knew it did.

Perhaps you could consider whether or not these people giving advice on the forum should really be allowed to classify themselves as such, particularly when the advice they give is incorrect.

That workaround is a damn sight easier than me having to re-configure CSS line heights in the on page CSS coding.

Old 20th November 2013, 11:09 AM   #46
Bhikkhu Pesala
Master

Bhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to beholdBhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to beholdBhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulstephenlee View Post
Experts on here told me that the problem didn't exist when I knew it did.

Perhaps you could consider whether or not these people giving advice on the forum should really be allowed to classify themselves as such, particularly when the advice they give is incorrect.
No experts told you that the problem did not exist. I told you only that I could not reproduce it.

The titles, "Expert," "Guru," etc., are assigned automatically by the forum software based on the number of posts. Someone may be an expert on another product, but not in WebPlus. Others may be expert in using WebPlus, but not in CSS code.

No advice was given other than, "Please attach a file to test," which was good advice since others were then able to reproduce the issue.

I am glad that Serif don't make space-shuttles, but even they sometimes go wrong.

I have been using software long enough to know that just because someone else cannot reproduce a bug that I can, that it doesn't necessarily mean that a bug does not exist. One just needs to dig a bit deeper. If ten out of ten users cannot reproduce it, then it's time to start worrying about something wrong with your system.
Old 20th November 2013, 12:41 PM   #47
Paulstephenlee

Paulstephenlee is well on the road to greatness

Fair comment - you are correct in what you say, I was just amazed that you couldn't reproduce the problem as it is not browser specific, but fundamental to the way that any browser would render the element.

As it happens, I have used the Jon P workaround and although a bit long winded it solves the problem.

Interestingly, this issue of "clipping" of text inside text frames has been an issue in several older versions of WebPlus and this line height setting (either through CSS or directly specified in the HTML element) is totally resolved by specifying line spacing as "exactly" in all cases.

Old 21st November 2013, 04:50 AM   #48
David Bird

David Bird is on a distinguished road

I am having problems with my text,
i have tried the workaround, and it doesnt work for me.
when i preview the site it looks fine, but after publish, it isnt good in firefox, but is ok in chrome and IE.
i cant go through every textbox in my website... its just going to take too long.
i dont understand all of the technical assistance thats been stated, I am a novice to webdesign, hence using this software
Old 21st November 2013, 10:47 AM   #49
RichardS
Master

RichardS has a brilliant futureRichardS has a brilliant futureRichardS has a brilliant futureRichardS has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Bird View Post
I am having problems with my text,
i have tried the workaround, and it doesnt work for me.
when i preview the site it looks fine, but after publish, it isnt good in firefox, but is ok in chrome and IE.
i cant go through every textbox in my website... its just going to take too long.
i dont understand all of the technical assistance thats been stated, I am a novice to webdesign, hence using this software
Ignore everything, apart from advice in the post by Serif's JonP:

http://forums.serif.com/showthread.p...264#post982264
Old 21st November 2013, 10:56 AM   #50
David Bird

David Bird is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
Ignore everything, apart from advice in the post by Serif's JonP:

http://forums.serif.com/showthread.p...264#post982264
I did, and it turned out there was no problem. for some reason my firefox wasnt displaying properly, and all i needed to do was delete my cache and it all looked fine.
Old 21st November 2013, 11:28 AM   #51
RichardS
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Bird View Post
I did, and it turned out there was no problem. for some reason my firefox wasnt displaying properly, and all i needed to do was delete my cache and it all looked fine.
Thanks. That's good news. My Firefox is set to delete its cache, and almost all cookies, each time it is closed. So is my MS IE

I wish that all web browsers provided this automatic delete option.

Google Chrome and new Opera, are you listening?
Old 21st November 2013, 12:12 PM   #52
richosr

richosr has much to be proud ofrichosr has much to be proud ofrichosr has much to be proud of

Anyone notice the issues with formatting being continued on text when it should not be?

The two images below demonstrate not only the text and paragraph formatting issues but also how undeline is not discontinued when it should be:

First image is how it looks it X7 editor window:

The second is how it actually looks once published in a browser:

It is nigh on impossible to create sites when the view in WebPlus is not what you get when you publish.

I cannot see how these fundamental issues got through the testing.

No matter what I do I cannot get rid of the unwanted underline.

Edit: Added findings::
I think I may have found what is causing it, the CSS for the individual areas of text have been set by webplus CSS to 'inherit' instead of the actual settings selected in webplus, so they are inheriting the paragraph style and not using a span style even though one is selected and being applied in webplus but all the spans classes are set to inherit and not to what has been selected.
::

By adding the following to the Masterpage Style I have managed to get the underline correct:
Code:
.C-2 { text-decoration:none !important; }
            a.C-3:link { text-decoration:underline !important; }
            a.C-3:visited { text-decoration:underline !important; }
            a.C-3:hover { text-decoration:underline !important; }
            a.C-3:active { text-decoration:underline !important;  }
Steve

Last edited by richosr; 21st November 2013 at 12:33 PM.
Old 21st November 2013, 12:26 PM   #53
RichardS
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by richosr View Post
Anyone notice the issues with formatting being continued on text when it should not be?

The two images below demonstrate not only the text and paragraph formatting issues but also how undeline is not discontinued when it should be:...

...No matter what I do I cannot get rid of the unwanted underline.

Steve
Is that underlining there to indicate a hyperlink, or is it just plain text which you have underlined?

IMHO, no text on webpages should be underlined unless it is a hyperlink.

For maximum accessibility, it should be possible for the visitor's web browser to disable underlining: People with some eye problems cannot read underlined text.
Old 21st November 2013, 12:37 PM   #54
richosr

richosr has much to be proud ofrichosr has much to be proud ofrichosr has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
Is that underlining there to indicate a hyperlink, or is it just plain text which you have underlined?

IMHO, no text on webpages should be underlined unless it is a hyperlink.

For maximum accessibility, it should be possible for the visitor's web browser to disable underlining: People with some eye problems cannot read underlined text.

The underlined text first section is a hyperlink but the second half from just before the hyphen is or should be plain text and not underlined.
Old 21st November 2013, 12:53 PM   #55
richosr

Quote:
Originally Posted by richosr View Post

The two images below demonstrate not only the text and paragraph formatting issues but also how undeline is not discontinued when it should be:

First image is how it looks it X7 editor window:

The second is how it actually looks once published in a browser:

It is nigh on impossible to create sites when the view in WebPlus is not what you get when you publish.
Quote:

1. Highlight the text
The above fix doesn't fix the line spacing in the above example.

Steve
Old 21st November 2013, 06:07 PM   #56
JimW

JimW is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naz View Post
Sometimes even with the best intentions these things can happen, but the reality has always been never to adopt a new picece of software as soon as it comes out and generally to wait until the first patch. This has always been the case with all software.
Hi Naz, so what you're saying is no one should buy Serif's new releases until they've patched them to death. I'm going to adopt that from now on, makes sense.

Jim W
Old 21st November 2013, 06:26 PM   #57
Naz
Expert

Naz has a brilliant futureNaz has a brilliant futureNaz has a brilliant futureNaz has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimW View Post
Hi Naz, so what you're saying is no one should buy Serif's new releases until they've patched them to death. I'm going to adopt that from now on, makes sense.

Jim W

Nope that's not what I am saying.

If you're a first time user you have every right to be annoyed at purchasing a product that contains bugs that you are not happy with, and in that instance the law is on you side, and luckily Serif provides a robust money back guarantee. But generally there is a clear understanding that the inherently complex nature of software means it will always always contain bugs or unexpected behaviour. Imagine if it was all classed as faulty trading standards would have shut down every single software company that ever existed. In which other industry can you knowingly sell products that have faults and get away with it?

However, if you are a business especially someone who is in the web design business, you can still be annoyed, but you should be aware of risks to your business, indeed you should have a section in your business continuity plan dedicated to software based risk and how to mitigate them. Part of that should be to assess the impact of new software. This applies to all software.

Much in the same way we backup, and have surge protectors and whatnot, new software is a risk and that has to be assessed.

So unless you are happy with it out of the box, in my estimation it's best to put it into a test environment first until you are happy that it is ready to use in a production environment.

iPlus360.com || Free downloads || Free PHP script generator
If someone's answer helped, please give them a Positive Reputation vote (second icon bottom left of person)
Old 21st November 2013, 07:02 PM   #58
Clitheroe Kid

Clitheroe Kid has much to be proud ofClitheroe Kid has much to be proud ofClitheroe Kid has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naz View Post
Software has always been like this, in fact anything complicated has been like this, from cars to aeroplanes.
I haven't noticed many aircraft falling out of the skys due to software problems, or any other problems for that matter.

Although slightly old hat now, have a look at 6 sigma which was developed by Motorola. A set of tools to improve processes and measure quality, which allows no more than 3.4 defects per million opportunities. Have a look at all the major companies that use this methology. The aviation industry performs far better than this.

One software testing standard is ISO/IEC/IEEE 29119, and when I asked Serif if they operated to this and/or any other quality standard the answer (approx 12 months ago) was no.

Joe
Old 21st November 2013, 07:12 PM   #59
Naz
Expert

Naz has a brilliant futureNaz has a brilliant futureNaz has a brilliant futureNaz has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clitheroe Kid View Post
I haven't noticed many aircraft falling out of the skys due to software problems, or any other problems for that matter.
Even aircraft have bugs
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ai...uHDcqThQfFtYAw

And we know Ferrari are hot stuff
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=fe...+catching+fire

iPlus360.com || Free downloads || Free PHP script generator
If someone's answer helped, please give them a Positive Reputation vote (second icon bottom left of person)
Old 21st November 2013, 07:28 PM   #60
kurtedward

kurtedward is on a distinguished road

I too am having this same issue in IE9 and the newest Chome browser. I have this issue with both my existing sites and newly created ones. Also Multiple lines of text show closer together on the browser than on the Webplus X7 page. Also the tool that lets you expand or contract the text, it doesn't seem to do anything. I just can't get over how this program, pre-X7 used to be "what you see is what you get" and not it is definitely NOT.