Go Back   Serif Software Forums > Photos and Movies > MoviePlus

Notices

MoviePlus Questions about using MoviePlus for video editing

Old 10th July 2013, 02:44 PM   #1
bjh909

bjh909 is on a distinguished road
Default Top half of preview/export black

Hi all. I'm new and tried to search but couldn't find anything about this rather unique problem.

As of this morning, my MoviePlus was having an issue with WMV files, which by habit is the file type I've been primarily using to export files. (I know, I know, use MP4. Lesson learned.) As I've included in the attachments, the preview window (and the finished product when exported) has the whole top half of the video blacked out. The original files play just fine in WMP and VLC, which leads me to believe the problem is in MoviePlus. It's not just the preview window, as an exported file also has the problem.

I got off the phone with Serif, and attempted deleting all my preview/proxy/other files, resetting all my settings, even a system restore (which my computer wouldn't allow, and I ran out of time before turning off my anti-virus to try again).

The current theory is that it's related to the Windows Update that came on July 10, but I can't find anything on it that affects WMV or codecs. Has anyone else had this problem?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	serif screencap.png
Views:	30
Size:	230.9 KB
ID:	42716   Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled-0.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	42717  
Old 10th July 2013, 05:12 PM   #2
RichardS
Master

RichardS has a brilliant futureRichardS has a brilliant futureRichardS has a brilliant futureRichardS has a brilliant future
Default Re: Top half of preview/export black

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh909 View Post
the preview window (and the finished product when exported) has the whole top half of the video blacked out. The original files play just fine in WMP and VLC, which leads me to believe the problem is in MoviePlus. It's not just the preview window, as an exported file also has the problem.
I've never seen this problem, but a wild guess: Could it be something to do with the interlacing?

Some video is "interlaced" when alternate fields provide alternate lines on the frame. Other video is "progressive" where all lines are supplied by the same field.

Could your video or MoviePlus have become confused?

Usual solution to every question: Download and install the free MediaInfo tool (be alert if you don't also want to install toolbars etc. )

Inspect the .wmv video then compare these results with "media properties" in MoviePlus... and possibly your other video player software.

Last edited by RichardS; 10th July 2013 at 05:17 PM.
Old 10th July 2013, 07:27 PM   #3
MikeR

MikeR is a glorious beacon of lightMikeR is a glorious beacon of light

I think your theory might well be correct. I just loaded a selection of wmv files and they all show exactly the same effect that you have illustrated. I also checked one of them in two other video editors and both displayed correctly. On checking on a Win 8 PC, which has not recently had a Windows update, MvP X6 displayed the wmv OK. This suggests that MvP handles wmv files is a specific way and that something has broken it. It may be down to Serif to fix it.

Medion MD8833 with Intel Q6600 + 3GB. Win 7 64 Ultimate SP1.

Old 10th July 2013, 08:13 PM   #4
RichardS
Master

RichardS has a brilliant futureRichardS has a brilliant futureRichardS has a brilliant futureRichardS has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeR View Post
I think your theory might well be correct. I just loaded a selection of wmv files and they all show exactly the same effect that you have illustrated. I also checked one of them in two other video editors and both displayed correctly. On checking on a Win 8 PC, which has not recently had a Windows update, MvP X6 displayed the wmv OK. This suggests that MvP handles wmv files is a specific way and that something has broken it. It may be down to Serif to fix it.
Oh dear. I think that MoviePlus uses Microsoft's codecs. Perhaps a Microsoft API has changed?

Update: I've just tried the only two .wmv videos on this 64-bit Win8 PC. Both were created in February 2013 using MoviePlus. They are 30FPS, progressive, with square pixels.

Both seem to preview OK in MvPx6.

Last edited by RichardS; 10th July 2013 at 08:20 PM.
Old 10th July 2013, 09:08 PM   #5
MikeR

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
Oh dear. I think that MoviePlus uses Microsoft's codecs. Perhaps a Microsoft API has changed?

Update: I've just tried the only two .wmv videos on this 64-bit Win8 PC. Both were created in February 2013 using MoviePlus. They are 30FPS, progressive, with square pixels.

Both seem to preview OK in MvPx6.
I don't see the problem in Win 8 either but, there again, I haven't run a Windows Update recently.

Old 10th July 2013, 10:16 PM   #6
bjh909

Quote:
I don't see the problem in Win 8 either but, there again, I haven't run a Windows Update recently.
Yeah, I'm running Windows 7, and I'm trying to figure out which of the updates might have done that... I'm unfamiliar with updates, but does Serif typically go about fixing these things rather efficiently?

It makes me feel a little better that someone else had the same problem. Not sure what on Windows 8 might be different to keep it from happening, but it's definitely affecting all of my WMV files.
Old 10th July 2013, 11:12 PM   #7
bjh909

An update that might help... I found an update that was linked to a WMV one that I uninstalled, and while it still gave me the same problem, I've noticed that when I pause on a WMV video, the black top half goes away and I see the full video. But this is only when I pause it. When I start playing it again it goes back to black. I can't say whether or not it did this before I uninstalled the one 7/10 update.

UPDATE: Tried to export the file as a WMV and MP4. The still screens while it was exporting were whole, and the file it exported in both cases was whole. Weird...
Old 10th July 2013, 11:32 PM   #8
RichardS
Master

Quote:
An update that might help... I found an update that was linked to a WMV one that I uninstalled, and while it still gave me the same problem, I've noticed that when I pause on a WMV video, the black top half goes away and I see the full video. But this is only when I pause it. When I start playing it again it goes back to black. I can't say whether or not it did this before I uninstalled the one 7/10 update.

UPDATE: Tried to export the file as a WMV and MP4. The still screens while it was exporting were whole, and the file it exported in both cases was whole. Weird...
Just like most other video container formats, .wmv media files can use several different codecs and settings of those codecs.

Perhaps there is a glitch with just one of these codecs, or maybe with only one of the possible settings?

That's why it is useful to discover exactly which codecs were used, and which settings.
Old 11th July 2013, 11:04 AM   #9
riptaurus

riptaurus is on a distinguished road

I don't see a posting here from Serif. Has anyone heard from them about this yet? I just went in to start work on MoviePlusX6 from where I left off yesterday and ran into this half screen problem. Is there live chat with Serif available anywhere?
Old 11th July 2013, 12:01 PM   #10
MikeR

Quote:
Originally Posted by riptaurus View Post
I don't see a posting here from Serif. Has anyone heard from them about this yet? I just went in to start work on MoviePlusX6 from where I left off yesterday and ran into this half screen problem. Is there live chat with Serif available anywhere?
I've just submitted a support ticket.

Old 11th July 2013, 01:14 PM   #11
bjh909

Quote:
I've just submitted a support ticket.
Thank you! Any other info I can maybe offer... the update I uninstalled was KB2803821. As I stated earlier, I still would see the half screen problem, but if I paused it on a frame, eventually it would be full, and most importantly, it exported full.

The Windows update, after some research, seems to be linked to the WMV codec.

Ultimately, it provided a short reprieve but when I shut down again, the update was installed again, and we're back to the same problem. Hopefully this is something simple enough where Serif just needs to fix the Codec, include it in an update, and we're all good.
Old 11th July 2013, 01:31 PM   #12
tnsucks

tnsucks is on a distinguished road

I am suffering the same problem. Everything was fine yesterday, but this morning, poof! Good to know this isn't one of those isolated cases.
Old 11th July 2013, 02:42 PM   #13
MikeR

I referenced this thread, so Serif should pick up that info.

Old 11th July 2013, 05:09 PM   #14
TalbotMcInnis

TalbotMcInnis is on a distinguished road

This issue is caused by a windows update. Lots of details here: http://forums.adobe.com/message/5493832?tstart=0

Note that there is a work-around by uninstalling an update on that page, but it is not a long term fix. We need a Microsoft update-update asap.
Old 11th July 2013, 10:45 PM   #15
Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Limited

Patrick Connor has a brilliant futurePatrick Connor has a brilliant futurePatrick Connor has a brilliant futurePatrick Connor has a brilliant future

TalbotMcInnis,
Welcome to the Serif forums, what a useful post and so timely. I doubt that every post you make will be as succinct and helpful, but we can hope. Please stick around if you wish.
Old 12th July 2013, 08:56 AM   #16
Jon White
Serif Europe Limited

Jon White will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I found an update that was linked to a WMV one that I uninstalled, and while it still gave me the same problem, I've noticed that when I pause on a WMV video, the black top half goes away and I see the full video. But this is only when I pause it. When I start playing it again it goes back to black.
I suspect MoviePlus is using a proxy file which was generated while you had the update installed. Try deleting the proxy file.
Old 12th July 2013, 06:24 PM   #17
John_UK

John_UK is on a distinguished road

Well, thank goodness it's not just me!
However, is this going to be addresses by Microsoft soon or Serif soon?

"I suspect MoviePlus is using a proxy file which was generated while you had the update installed. Try deleting the proxy file." Jon, what does this mean? (I'm not a techy...)
Camcorder: Panasonic HC-X900M
MoviePlusX6, WebPlusX7, PhotoPlusX6
Old 12th July 2013, 06:28 PM   #18
RichardS
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_UK View Post
Well, thank goodness it's not just me!
However, is this going to be addresses by Microsoft soon or Serif soon?

"I suspect MoviePlus is using a proxy file which was generated while you had the update installed. Try deleting the proxy file." Jon, what does this mean? (I'm not a techy...)
Go to File... Helper Files... and delete the proxy files.
Old 12th July 2013, 06:32 PM   #19
MikeR

I deleted the Windows KB2803821 update and the wmf displayed correctly, although showed only the lower half of a static image in the Media Pane. As soon as I hovered over it, it showed the full frame.

Old 12th July 2013, 07:08 PM   #20
Spyke

Spyke is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
Go to File... Helper Files... and delete the proxy files.
I've had this problem post Windows 7 updates. I thought perhaps the program was corrupt, so I reloaded it. Having looked for a solution on this forum, I saw your solution so I went to the Helper Files and deleted all proxy files. No joy however!