Go Back   Serif Software Forums > Design and Publishing > WebPlus

Notices

WebPlus Questions about using WebPlus for website design

Old 22nd March 2013, 01:13 AM   #1
Smoothie

Smoothie is a jewel in the roughSmoothie is a jewel in the rough
Arrow Text in Table - line return problem

I have a table with just three columns each containing text. Entering single-line text into each cell across a row is fine but I wish to have a return at the end of a line which opens up a line below (in the same cell) for further text entry by expanding all the cells in that row to accommodate it.

I have successfully done this with the middle column but if I then go to the cells alongside in columns 1 and 3, when I press return, instead of the cursor going down a line ready for me to insert the second line of text it jumps back to the beginning of the same (first) line so that if I type a word, it appears over the top of the first word there.

I can see no way of making the cursor go to the second, third or fourth line in the cell to enter text there.

Very difficult to explain this in words but I would appreciate some help.
Previous user of FrontPage now migrated to WebPlus X5 (Dumped X6 as Creative Text Frame Tool discontinued).
Old 22nd March 2013, 01:34 AM   #2
Archibald
Master

Archibald has a reputation approching nirvanaArchibald has a reputation approching nirvanaArchibald has a reputation approching nirvanaArchibald has a reputation approching nirvanaArchibald has a reputation approching nirvanaArchibald has a reputation approching nirvana
Default Re: Text in Table - line return problem

John,

I am not not having any trouble of that nature with HTML or creative tables in WebPlus X5. The cell height increases as necessary whether an extra line is required to accommodate the paragraph as I type or when I type a return for the end of a paragraph.
Old 22nd March 2013, 06:38 AM   #3
Bhikkhu Pesala
Master

Bhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to beholdBhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to beholdBhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to behold

Copy the table to a new site and attach it to the forum.
Old 22nd March 2013, 07:50 PM   #4
Smoothie

Arrow Re: Text in Table - line return problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
Copy the table to a new site and attach it to the forum.
Through pressure of time, at this stage I will just give the URL of the page containing the Table so that you can see the HTML: You can see it HERE and the cell that I am referring to is C6 which shows "Tony Smith" in the top position. I wish to enter words on the three lines apparently available under the name, within that cell, but the effect I described above prevents this. Ditto the next cell down.

Thanks for your help.
Previous user of FrontPage now migrated to WebPlus X5 (Dumped X6 as Creative Text Frame Tool discontinued).
Old 22nd March 2013, 11:02 PM   #5
djinn

djinn is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoothie View Post
Through pressure of time, at this stage I will just give the URL of the page containing the Table so that you can see the HTML: You can see it HERE and the cell that I am referring to is C6 which shows "Tony Smith" in the top position. I wish to enter words on the three lines apparently available under the name, within that cell, but the effect I described above prevents this. Ditto the next cell down.

Thanks for your help.
Hi,

It's a line-height issue on some of the css rules.

For instance the code for the text 'How to Critique a Photograph' looks like so.....

Code:
<span class="Normal-C-C1">How to Critique a Photograph <br></span>
.... the css rule for the Normal-C-C1 class is defined so...

Code:
.Normal-C-C1
{
    font-family:"Verdana", sans-serif; font-size:16.0px; line-height:1.13em;
}
That works as you'd hoped/expect but to the right of that 'cell' the code for the text 'Tony Smith' looks like so...

Code:
<span class="Table-Body-C-C1">Tony &nbsp;Smith <br></span>
... the css rule for the Table-Body-C-C1 class is defined so...

Code:
.Table-Body-C-C1
{
    font-family:"Arial", sans-serif; font-size:16.0px; line-height:0.0px;
}
The line-height here is the issue - by using 0.00px, the browser is displaying as expected - single lines will display ok, anything underneath will not.

Whether you declare a line-height value of, say 1.13em on the Table-Body-C-C1 rule, or change the text in each cell to use Normal-C-C1, I think you'll possibly have to adjust your 'table' layout.

HTH
Old 23rd March 2013, 01:03 AM   #6
Smoothie

Arrow Re: Text in Table - line return problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by djinn View Post
Hi,

It's a line-height issue on some of the css rules.

For instance the code for the text 'How to Critique a Photograph' looks like so.....

Code:
<span class="Normal-C-C1">How to Critique a Photograph <br></span>
.... the css rule for the Normal-C-C1 class is defined so...

Code:
.Normal-C-C1
{
    font-family:"Verdana", sans-serif; font-size:16.0px; line-height:1.13em;
}
That works as you'd hoped/expect but to the right of that 'cell' the code for the text 'Tony Smith' looks like so...

Code:
<span class="Table-Body-C-C1">Tony &nbsp;Smith <br></span>
... the css rule for the Table-Body-C-C1 class is defined so...

Code:
.Table-Body-C-C1
{
    font-family:"Arial", sans-serif; font-size:16.0px; line-height:0.0px;
}
The line-height here is the issue - by using 0.00px, the browser is displaying as expected - single lines will display ok, anything underneath will not.

Whether you declare a line-height value of, say 1.13em on the Table-Body-C-C1 rule, or change the text in each cell to use Normal-C-C1, I think you'll possibly have to adjust your 'table' layout.

HTH
That is a very comprehensive explanation, many thanks. When you say I "will have to adjust my table layout" - in what way should I adjust it so that multiple lines can be entered in cells?

Many thanks for your help.
Old 23rd March 2013, 01:09 AM   #7
mjh
The one and only mjh

mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

Quote:
That is a very comprehensive explanation, many thanks. When you say I "will have to adjust my table layout" - in what way should I adjust it so that multiple lines can be entered in cells?

Smoothie

I suspect it's a matter of adjusting the cell margins. Go to Cell Properties > Margins tab in an HTML table.
Old 23rd March 2013, 01:57 AM   #8
djinn

Quote:

You may not have to, but you will have to choose a style for your text that has a reasonable line-height, for instance, 'Normal-C-C1' as opposed to 'Table-Body-C-C1' which because of zero line-height is the cause of the issue. I'd try changing the text styles first, maybe using the same style throughout for consistency. If this causes an issue with the 'table' layout, it will only require that you adjust the height of the rows.

Try going here....

http://www.w3schools.com/cssref/tryi...ss_line-height

...adjust the line-height values from 70% and 200% to say 7% and 20% and hit the 'Submit Code' button to see how line-height works.

HTH
Old 23rd March 2013, 01:59 AM   #9
Smoothie

Have changed Text format/paragraph/line spacing from "Exactly" to "Single" in the offending cells (C6 &7) and it seems to have done the trick. Not sure why the Table cells defaulted as "Exactly 0.0" when I set it up, nor why adjacent column 'B' had cells already as "single".
One problem remains: The lines are not registering horizontally between B6 and C6, with too much space at the top of C6 (above "Tony Smith") for some reason.
See HERE
Old 23rd March 2013, 02:21 AM   #10
djinn

Quote:
Have changed Text format/paragraph/line spacing from "Exactly" to "Single" in the offending cells (C6 &7) and it seems to have done the trick. Not sure why the Table cells defaulted as "Exactly 0.0" when I set it up, nor why adjacent column 'B' had cells already as "single".
One problem remains: The lines are not registering horizontally between B6 and C6, with too much space at the top of C6 (above "Tony Smith") for some reason.
See HERE
It's not an html table strictly speaking, it's made up of positioned div elements and in this case the top positions don't match....

<div style="position:absolute;left:167px;top:554px;widt h:368px;height:96px;">

and to the right.....

<div style="position:absolute;left:544px;top:565px;widt h:159px;height:85px;">

HTH
Old 23rd March 2013, 02:20 PM   #11
Smoothie

I have now achieved the result I require as you can see HERE.

Thanks for all your help folks.
Old 23rd March 2013, 02:21 PM   #12
mjh
The one and only mjh

mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

Quote:
I have now achieved the result I require as you can see HERE.

Thanks for all your help folks.