Go Back   Serif Software Forums > Community > General

Notices

General Discussions that don't relate to a specific Serif product

Old 24th August 2012, 09:41 AM   #1
Ali
Guru

Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)
Default Using Old Router as a Wireless Repeater

Just this week, Orange has finally conceded that the LiveBox router we were using does not work well over an ethernet connection with a Win7 PC, despite the wireless signal and connection being fine, and they have sent us a brand new BrightBox router, which works fine on Win7.

I have decided to try to turn the old router and its perfect wireless signal into a wireless repeater, following advice given here: http://www.ehow.com/how_5041236_use-...-repeater.html

Almost inevitably, I suppose, I've run into difficulties:
  1. Because the factory-set IP address is the same for both routers, I can't access the old router's control panel without switching the new router off. So I do and can access the old router.
  2. However, if I change the IP address on the old router, as instructed, I can no longer access the control panel to make the other setting changes required (the interface is such that I have to save a few at a time). Now I have to do a factory reset and start again (no time for that now, but will do so later).
  3. So, has anyone any experience of adapting a LiveBox router in this way and, if so, can you advise me?
From the article to which I've linked this should be easy, but as I am unable to change all those settings in one go, I'm stuck as to what I should do first. Is there anything that the writer of that article might have overlooked or taken as understood that I could have missed?

Any help or advice would be welcomed.
WPX2-6 SITES: The Falcon Inn (X6) | Martin Sexton - Artist (X2) | Clover Greetings
(X6)
Old 24th August 2012, 10:26 AM   #2
civiliza
Advanced Member

civiliza is well on the road to greatness
Default Re: Using Old Router as a Wireless Repeater

Instruction 4 basically says to give the "repeater" a higher IP Address

The gist of it is to allow addresses for the main router plus all the devices that want to hook to the network, then allocate the repeater the next address above that..

eg if Your Main Router has address xxx.yyy,z.01 and you hook say 20 devices to it, then give the "repeater" an address of xxx.yyy.z.22 (ie 1 router + 20 allocatable addresses + 1 repeater).

Of course, you might want to go even higher to allow headroom for more devices in the future.

Also, once the Repeater has been given the higher address, you will need to enter that new address into your browser to link up to it again. (ie to make changes advocated in the later steps).

EDIT - I think the knack is to turn off the main router, make as many changes as you can to the repeater before changing it's IP Address as the final step, then turn the main router back on, and use it to connect to the repeater with the new address.

Or something like that (?!)

Last edited by civiliza; 24th August 2012 at 10:41 AM.
Old 24th August 2012, 10:35 AM   #3
civiliza
Advanced Member

Don't forget that with two Wireless entry points to your network, you will have twice the potential vulnerabilities, so don't forget to lock down the security on both routers (eg allowable MAC addresses).
Old 24th August 2012, 10:49 AM   #4
civiliza
Advanced Member

Don't forget to tell all your devices that can remember more than one address about the Repeater's new address.
Old 24th August 2012, 11:43 AM   #5
Ali
Guru

Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

Quote:
Originally Posted by civiliza View Post
Don't forget to tell all your devices that can remember more than one address about the Repeater's new address.
Thanks for your help! I'll try changing the IP address last of all, although when I changed it earlier, I could no longer connect to it using either the old or the new IP address, either with the new router on or off!!!

What I was hoping was that the old router set as a repeater would be just that: a signal booster for the main router. I didn't think that it would have any vulnerabilities as such (the article says that its firewall should be turned off, for example, and does not suggest that this might have any adverse effect). Maybe I am not understanding this correctly ...
WPX2-6 SITES: The Falcon Inn (X6) | Martin Sexton - Artist (X2) | Clover Greetings
(X6)
Old 24th August 2012, 01:11 PM   #6
civiliza
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali View Post
I didn't think that it would have any vulnerabilities as such (the article says that its firewall should be turned off, for example, and does not suggest that this might have any adverse effect). Maybe I am not understanding this correctly ...
I could well be barking up the wrong tree here, for all I know, the Main Router does all the Firewall work.

I live in flats, and judging by the number of Wireless Networks my PC can see, I am aware that the network doesn't necessarily stop at a property's walls. As a result, I am paranoid about others accessing my network with just one WiFi router.

I'd be having kittens with two WiFi routers to worry about.

When I added my WiFi Router to my existing Ethernet network, I think I had to tell it that the non-WiFi Router was handling address allocation, but I think that's what the DHCP option setting was all about.

Mind you it was some time ago and I've forgotten the details (if nothing else, my laptop battery hadn't died yet, and I was able to wander around plugging a USB cable into the back of various Routers).
Old 24th August 2012, 02:59 PM   #7
paulfredfield
Advanced Member

paulfredfield is on a distinguished road

I think it's called bridging and you set it up in the 2nd router. Sorry if that's what the original link was I am In a hurry!
Old 24th August 2012, 05:28 PM   #8
Ali
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulfredfield View Post
I think it's called bridging and you set it up in the 2nd router. Sorry if that's what the original link was I am In a hurry!
Correct - bridging, repeating or boosting - it's all the same thing, more or less. However, it doesn't help ... Thanks for taking the time to reply, Paul.
(X6)
Old 25th August 2012, 11:11 AM   #9
paulfredfield
Advanced Member

paulfredfield is on a distinguished road

My old router would not support bridging!
Old 25th August 2012, 12:00 PM   #10
Ali
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulfredfield View Post
My old router would not support bridging!
I can't find out whether or not mine does. But I've realised that bridging is slightly different to repeating and boosting, and it's not actually what I want. I shall have a play again after the weekend, but I've got guests arriving shortly, so can't now.
(X6)