Go Back   Serif Software Forums > Design and Publishing > WebPlus

Notices

WebPlus Questions about using WebPlus for website design

Old 23rd August 2012, 10:32 AM   #1
robsweb

robsweb is on a distinguished road
Default creating nav buttons

Hi, How can I create/design my own nav buttons? I want to use my own images as nav buttons rather than the stock buttons provided by x6. Has anyone done this?
Thanks
Rob
Old 23rd August 2012, 10:36 AM   #2
mjh
The one and only mjh

mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)
Default Re: creating nav buttons

Quote:
Originally Posted by robsweb View Post
Hi, How can I create/design my own nav buttons? I want to use my own images as nav buttons rather than the stock buttons provided by x6. Has anyone done this?
Thanks
Rob
Hi Rob

Welcome to the Serif forums.

Just open the Button Studio and create away as many others do.
Old 23rd August 2012, 12:43 PM   #3
kayaker
Advanced Member

kayaker will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by robsweb View Post
Thanks
Rob
You should keep in mind that any nav buttons created in the button design studio will be associated with a WP navigation bar style such as "Block" and will therefore not have full functionality when viewed on a mobile device if you have drop-down child menus in the navigation structure/bar. If you have only a one dimensional navigation structure (e.g. no drop-down child menus) there should be no problem.

Jim. . . www.jdguitarworks.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Win7 - 64 bit Pro | Intel core(6) i7 12GB | 930 @ 2.80 GHz | duo 23" 1920 X 1080
Old 23rd August 2012, 01:13 PM   #4
Archibald
Master

Archibald has a reputation approching nirvanaArchibald has a reputation approching nirvanaArchibald has a reputation approching nirvanaArchibald has a reputation approching nirvanaArchibald has a reputation approching nirvanaArchibald has a reputation approching nirvana

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
If you have only a one dimensional navigation structure (e.g. no drop-down child menus) there should be no problem.
There is no problem with a two-level navigation structure if you include child-level navbars on top-level pages where necessary. Users of fully-functioning browsers can then still get the benefit of drop-down ("popup")menus.
Old 23rd August 2012, 01:34 PM   #5
kayaker
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archibald View Post
There is no problem with a two-level navigation structure if you include child-level navbars on top-level pages where necessary. Users of fully-functioning browsers can then still get the benefit of drop-down ("popup")menus.
Hi Archilbald. Post a link of one of your implementations of this if you don't mind.

Thanks in advance.

Win7 - 64 bit Pro | Intel core(6) i7 12GB | 930 @ 2.80 GHz | duo 23" 1920 X 1080

Last edited by kayaker; 23rd August 2012 at 01:55 PM.
Old 23rd August 2012, 03:50 PM   #6
Archibald
Master

Archibald has a reputation approching nirvanaArchibald has a reputation approching nirvanaArchibald has a reputation approching nirvanaArchibald has a reputation approching nirvanaArchibald has a reputation approching nirvanaArchibald has a reputation approching nirvana

Quote:
Post a link of one of your implementations of this if you don't mind.
I posted a minimal .wpp file to demonstrate the principle in this forum post.

It's how some of the big boys do it : try for example tesco.com. If you hover over top-level navbar button 'Clothing', you will see a drop-down menu with links to womenswear, menswear etc. But you can click on 'Clothing' and get to a page that has a navbar that takes you to the same 'child' pages. (Actually I am a little surprised that they don't make it easier to return to the Tesco home page.)
Old 23rd August 2012, 07:21 PM   #7
kayaker
Advanced Member

Quote:
I posted a minimal .wpp file to demonstrate the principle in this forum post.

It's how some of the big boys do it : try for example tesco.com. If you hover over top-level navbar button 'Clothing', you will see a drop-down menu with links to womenswear, menswear etc. But you can click on 'Clothing' and get to a page that has a navbar that takes you to the same 'child' pages. (Actually I am a little surprised that they don't make it easier to return to the Tesco home page.)
Hi Archibald. OK, I see where you are going now. Yes, it is a workaround allowing you to use at least part of the functionality of the cooler looking nav bars that Wp offers on a mobile device.

My sites max out at maybe 30 - 50 pages. I go out of my way to not have (nothing personal here, really) what I consider redundant landing pages which are merely a base for another navigation scheme. First and foremost, I do it to maximize the visitors ability to visualize exactly where they are on the site at all times and I believe that the identical nav bar in the same location on each page facilitates the realization of that objective.

I also believe that if the stats show that the average number of page views is, say 3.5 as an example, I hate the thought of making 1.0 of 3.5 pages viewed a secondary navigation landing page.

But my sites are not large and even without the issues with WP nav bars (excluding JavaScript) I understand that larger sites require supplementary navigation throughout.

That said, Serif still needs to deal with those navigation bar issues (and again, as my wife always makes me say, "in my opinion"). Just because we can create a work around of some fashion or form does not relieve them of that responsibility. Or at least, as Marylin suggested to Rev, put the caveat on the label that says "Oh, BTW, most of our navigation bars will not work on mobile devices in situations where drop-down child menus are desired".

Thanks for the file and your thoughts Archibald.

Old 24th August 2012, 12:26 AM   #8
Archibald
Master

Quote:
OK, I see where you are going now. Yes, it is a workaround allowing you to use at least part of the functionality of the cooler looking nav bars that Wp offers on a mobile device.

My sites max out at maybe 30 - 50 pages. I go out of my way to not have (nothing personal here, really) what I consider redundant landing pages which are merely a base for another navigation scheme. First and foremost, I do it to maximize the visitors ability to visualize exactly where they are on the site at all times and I believe that the identical nav bar in the same location on each page facilitates the realization of that objective.

I also believe that if the stats show that the average number of page views is, say 3.5 as an example, I hate the thought of making 1.0 of 3.5 pages viewed a secondary navigation landing page.

But my sites are not large and even without the issues with WP nav bars (excluding JavaScript) I understand that larger sites require supplementary navigation throughout.
There are certainly pros and cons of both approaches. However, I don't see the size of site is a significant factor. Large sites can have large drop-down menus and/or they can display child-level navigation on top-level pages (Argos for example does both). Smaller sites can end up with top-level pages appearing rather empty with just a small child menu but some use can be made of the spare space, for example by making the child-level navbar more pictorial.

Users of touch-sensitive devices have to click on the top-level navbar button to reveal a list of child pages. It does not make that much difference if a drop-down menu appears on click or if a new page appears with a menu on it (assuming the connection is fairly fast). The chances are that they have finished reading page content anyway. So I think you are making too much of the distinction.

It would be interesting to investigate a sample number of major websites to see if they have any dead top-level buttons on click or whether clicking any top-level buttons only reveals a drop-down menu. My expectation is that virtually all major websites display new pages when you click any top-level button.

What I strongly think needs to be avoided are popup menus to grandchild pages. This means you cannot have third-level pages included in navigation. I find this a real nuisance on large sites and for me it would be far more useful to be able to inhibit grandchild popup menus than to get popup menus to work on click on touch-sensitive devices.

Quote:
That said, Serif still needs to deal with those navigation bar issues (and again, as my wife always makes me say, "in my opinion"). Just because we can create a work around of some fashion or form does not relieve them of that responsibility.
I don't see my technique as being a work-around. I think it is what most major websites are doing and avoids having dead top-level buttons. Nevertheless, I fully agree the Serif needs to get the navigation bars sorted for touch-sensitive devices.
Old 24th August 2012, 01:03 AM   #9
kayaker
Advanced Member

Quote:

I don't see my technique as being a work-around. I think it is what most major websites are doing and avoids having dead top-level buttons. Nevertheless, I fully agree the Serif needs to get the navigation bars sorted for touch-sensitive devices.
Microsoft's "non" mobile site viewed on a mobile device has "dead link" top level buttons for all of their main navigation bar items and display drop-down child menus when clicked on an iphone (I'll check on a Galaxy SIII when my daughter gets home tonight). I think it may be more common that you think Archibald.

www.microsoft.com

I'm interested in your other thoughts, but it's Thursday night and that'a pie (pizza) and wine night at the Dodds house, so not much time to converse. :-)

Old 24th August 2012, 08:40 AM   #10
AlfredP
Guru

AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

Quote:
(Actually I am a little surprised that they don't make it easier to return to the Tesco home page.)
Actually, it's not difficult — it's just not as obvious as it might be! At the top of the page (to the right of "Welcome to Clothing at Tesco") there's a set of links, the first of which takes you to 'tesco.com'.

Alfred
- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (1900-1944)